Posted: Jan 10th 2010 10:10AM TheJackman said

• 1 heart
Sadly Aion got next to the Graphics and polish noting to go for it but a grind fest and sadly no/real bad support for there paying clients, oh and best of all no way around pvp combat! This did burn many people already so far.

They had to release a trailer that was mostly a lot of crap they got in mind for the game with no dates or even a year when this will be there! Hey whatever drive up the client sales ;D

Tomorrow I will release my trailer of the mmo I gonna make in 50 years from now just to see how many people pre order :P

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 11:01AM Cendres said

• 1 heart
".. because of the grind.." Was it necessary to add that bit there? Lots of people probably left because of this, but many left for other reasons. :/ Maybe I'm just really tired of hearing it, especially since it really should not have ever been a surprise.

But I'm not playing 4 dollars to find out what the team thinks, I'm already pretty sure the team has been over it's head since launch. :(

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 11:02AM Cendres said

**paying**

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 1:51PM (Unverified) said

So it is true but shouldn't be said? OK.

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 2:27PM Cendres said

You're not catching the point. OK.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 5:02AM wufiavelli said

was playing this and allod at the same time. Allod was cool because of great quest writing and generally just more fun but it has a shit generic combat system. Aion was good because it had a great combat system (and character creator), on a grand scheme good lore. but the quests were pretty crappily written and not fun.

Kind of wish the two games would of combine.

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 11:29AM Mad Dog said

I left because of the grind and lack of content. It became a very boring game.

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 11:52AM (Unverified) said

How about grinding an instance for 3 hours, only to end with no loot but a weapon flux?

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 10:49PM Angelworks said

Seriously?

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 12:05PM Dranaerys said

I wouldnt have had a problem with the grind, if the game rewarded me in some way or another, but no, the only eward for progressing in Aion, is making everything harder for the player - wether its increasing travel costs, mat costs, gold costs everywhere, pvp ganking, every step of the way is designed to make sure its a real pain in the ass to continue. Een, as a poster mentioned, dungeons dont even reward you with loot that you couldnt get off farming mobs elseplace.

Too much stick, not enough carrot. Thats sums up Aion for me, and its why I quit.

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 12:08PM (Unverified) said

I think this game added a whole new level to the word grind, while it might be good for one market, its been proven time and time again its not always the best for others. The little to almost no change in this definitely weakened it in the latter market.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 1:21PM hmmdar said

Of course the game is going to have a decent level of polish considering it was already a year old when it was launched in the western regions.

But that aside I personally just found the game boring and soulless. Their customer service was near non-existent, and I'm just not a fan of NCSoft anymore after what they did to Tabula Rasa. I probably will never buy another game from them again.

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 1:58PM Valentina said

I'm still a paying subscriber, and I like the game...I think there are areas that definitely need some attention. The grind is going to be decreased significantly in an upcoming patch that we should be hearing more about within the next month or two....As well as a new content update!

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 2:40PM Crsh said

I didn't renew past the third month, the game a bit too rough for my taste but also I didn't have much free time to dedicate to gaming in late Fall; I remain hopeful NCsoft will iron the bugs out and add content to the game.

Sadly this happens way too often, MMOs get launched too early due to financial pressure from the publishers (note: developers aren't perfect either, sticking to unrealistic schedules is no small feat in itself), early adopters who bought into the hype are disappointed and leave in droves, etc.

The major thing that keeps me hopeful is the lack of enlightened idiot at the helm that makes bad decisions after bad decisions a la Richard Garriott (Tabula Rasa), Gaute Godager (AoC) or Mark Jacobs (WAR) (all of which are gone fortunately, and those games are doing better).

I plan on revisting it around Feb/March to see how things are going.

Posted: Jan 10th 2010 5:13PM Tizmah said

Aion, Schmion. We want FFXIV now :)

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 7:29PM (Unverified) said

Let me chime in regarding Aion:

1) Aion had been released in Korea over a year before it was released in NA/EU. That means I can't credit NC Soft for having "a flawless release".

2) My own experiences in the game - and reason I left - was that I was appalled at the very primitive game mechanics - it was insulting to have to pay an AAA priced MMO only to find it to be a dressed-up version a F2P game.

In a time when practically every MMO is compared to WoW, paying to play an MMO with even clunkier mechanics and lacking content made me feel like a chump.

3) Aion also had class design issues that should have been dealt with, given it's PVP endgame. How the Korean player base put up with them i'll never know, but it's a major reason why many gave up on the game - just read the Aion forums.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014