Posted: Jan 6th 2010 8:25AM (Unverified) said

Does it have to be one or the other?

Back when I played WoW, as an officer of our raiding guild, I was forgiving of random mistakes. We all make one or two a night, and it's often more funny than anything. We'd playfully tease the person, but not yell at them.

But then there comes the times when we wipe three times in a row because people aren't paying attention to where they're standing. And a good raid leader needs to know when giving "tough love" and telling a person to shape up or get sat for the night is appropriate. It's not an easy call too make, and many would-be raid leaders don't know the difference in doing what's good for the group, and doing what serves their own ego.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 8:29AM Chambers said

On the server i play on wow im known as a pretty hot headed guy, im a guild leader who likes to scream at people who make mistakes, the classic archtype a foul mouthed english man... from liverpool no less.

But outside of raid leading i tend to air more towards the side of peacekeeping of calming people down. Although i tend to take things seriously i would never say to somone "its only a game". I wish all MMO's would filter that phrase out and stop people from saying it! Its one of the most patronising things you can say to somone playing an MMO for a number of reasons, first of all if somone is so wound up you need to say that to them then they obviously care more than you do about that particular thing. Second is that if you think its a game then you think its not serious, and as much to the disdain of many MMO's ARE serious. For some people its even the primary form of social interaction, its as paramount as playing for your local football team on the weekend and its a hobby. Its anything but a game.

Inside of a raid though i never allow anyone to show any agression to anyone other than me, if they feel someone has done something wrong they should take it out on me!

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 8:39AM Tom in VA said

Not a problem for me, since I just generally play the "single-player portion" of MMOs as far as I can go and then I move on to something else. The only exception to that is when I team up with a friend or two for some quest or other.

I used to enjoy the whole "group dynamic" thing, but I'm burned out on it. Nowadays, I play with close friends, NPC party members, or purely solo. Otherwise, forget it.

The probability of "group of players + quest/mission = fun and not a complete letdown/hassle" is so incredibly narrow as to be not worthwhile, imo. Seeing as how most MMOs, such as WoW, contain a huge portion of single-player content, this still leaves me a lot to do.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 8:45AM (Unverified) said

Lol this happened to me in a Dungeon I was running in WOW yesterday. I rolled for a drop and won and then one of the party members starting swearing at me even though the drop was specific to my class. Well this carried on for a while until the rest of the party got annoyed and kicked him. I always prefer to take the neutral path of ignore.

I feel by doing this the other person feels more like a fool especially when other people start telling them to shut up as you have done nothing wrong. This only works if you have done nothing wrong, if you were wrong admit it and prove you are the bigger person and move on, I mean in the greater scheme of things what exactly does the other person flamings mean to you in real life... NOTHING!!! and aggro players should realise that as well. Stony silence is the biggest slap in the face for them :)

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 8:53AM Snichy said

I play WoW quite a lot and as everyone knows the community there is quite bad. As I PUG alot I do come across alot of ignorant, rude and obnoxious people who think anonymity is a reason to be disrespectful or insulting - if it involves other people I try to calm things down and just try to hold it together until we finish but if it involves me then I take the bait and give it back - Im not the sort of person who will let someone get away with talking to me like something they find on the bottom of their shoe.

Generally I treat others how they treat me. Grouping with guildies is always better as there is a general atmosphere of forgiveness and understanding.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 9:14AM archipelagos said

Depends on the offence. For the most part I shrug and move on but there are a lot of transgressions indicative of a certain type of personality that I have absolutely no time for and in those rare cases the ignore function is immediately used. Life is too short to put up with people that will only bring you grief, recognise their type as quickly as you can and move on.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 9:56AM Vladimyr said

I've salvaged countless dungeon runs on WoW by being a mediator whenever tempers between group members flared up.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 10:18AM pcgneurotic said

I got a load of abuse the other night for tanking a WoW group as an Arms warrior - I don't mean criticism or insight, I mean abuse. But I took it on the chin, made a few jokes, and we finished our run wih no problems for the Priest and everyone getting their shinies.

So as they say, 'Water off a duck's back' is also a good solution.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 10:28AM Arkanaloth said

more often than not... I tend to solo or small group play with close friends so *normally* temper tantrums are not a problem, however when they do arise I try to mediate it doesn't always work but I try at least.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 10:21AM Pingles said

You're missing an important choice in your list.

3. Do you insist on a fair outcome?

I am a peacemaker and am certainly not a troublemaker but I also won't sit idly by if someone is getting screwed.

I don't consider defending someone who has been wronged as "stirring things up."

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 10:29AM koehler83 said

I'm an emo bridge-burner.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 10:32AM Cendres said

Being sensitive and knowing it I get myself out of dodge, I'll send a tell to the offender and group leader(s) telling them what's what and get out. Unless it's a guild then I'll assess the situation more but if it's a PUG I've no regret just moving on, or logging off for the day and try again the next day.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 11:09AM wjowski said

The average MMO player is a prima-donna with a hugely bloated sense of unwarranted self-entitlement. I see no reason to placate any of them.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 11:09AM toychristopher said

Mending fences refers to putting up a fence between you and your neighbor so while not as extreme as "burning bridges" it amounts to the same thing. I propose that the title of this article be changed.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 11:21AM (Unverified) said

Amazingly I've never had a confrontation in-game. Crazyness.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 3:00PM (Unverified) said

This is the single reason why I don't play WoW. Living-on-Cheetoh-dust spoiled suburban teens that need to be severly beaten by their parents.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 2:45PM wjowski said

So you just avoid playing MMOs in general then? Why even post here?

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 5:11PM (Unverified) said

Because as everyone knows, the population of WoW is made up solely of those types of players, and they also do not exist in any game outside of WoW.

Scientific fact.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 12:09PM (Unverified) said

I'm a big-time fence mender, even if I don't always want to be. I'm certainly no doormat, but I'm quick to smooth things over and ensure everyone involved does their best to resolve it.

I blame my nice-guy, let's-get-along attitude on a couple things..
a.) whatever game I'm playing, I really enjoy myself online and I don't want to spend that time being angry.
b.) I firmly believe that whatever you're doing .. from WoW to YouTube comments, arguing/insulting strangers on the internet makes you a fool.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 12:21PM (Unverified) said

When Im playing online I try to improve myself even if it takes some arguing then I take it.
Personally Im trying to keep my opinion to myself and only giving advices about my my class/role and trying to keep it as civil as possible.
Only thing I realy hate when someone with different class/spec/role trying to "teach" me how to play.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014