Posted: Jan 5th 2010 1:15PM (Unverified) said

I'm the ultimate custy. They hooked me good by having me buy a 6-month CO sub to get into the STO closed beta. In CO, I have about 7 toons, none of which are higher than level 11. Basically as soon as I got into the open world and saw that three mobs could overwhelm my "champion" I went back to WoW this fall and leveled a priest to 80 instead!

I actually had plenty of fun with STO. I didn't have any gameplay issues running it on my laptop which only has 4G RAM atm. What I like is the space combat and your ship options, even if I was easily outmaneuvered by many of the AI ships. It was disorienting at first, which I also enjoyed for "reality's sake," but got the hang of it pretty quickly. I also love the fact that you can select away teams. Will come in handy later when you've built up a nice officer corps.

As was mentioned though, I didn't really see much difference at all between the two different officer types that I tried. Maybe this is because the content is so low-level? I dunno.

People I've met there though or chatted with on the forums seem to be overly fixated with SW: TOR and don't want to get too invested because they assume that that game will be awesome and blow STO away. I think it's pretty good and will probably try it out for a bit.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:11AM Renko said

I'm excited now and until I've actually played the retail version I won't be making up my mind either way about this game (unlike a lot of people above).

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:14AM dudemanjac said

Intersting idea. Guess that will have to be seen.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:23AM jpkustra said

This is a horribly generic game and brings nothing new to the MMO world. I was actually excited to play it until I got past the character creator whic was pretty great!. Then I played through the tutorial and into the space combat. I'm glad I had the opportunity to play in the beta to realize this is not a game that will get my $50.

I uninstalled it a few weeks ago. The recycle bin... the real final frontier.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:24AM Randomessa said

I am firmly in the "looking forward to it" camp. My partner (a non-MMO player but long-time Trek fan) and I have pre-ordered and cannot wait until Jan. 12th. It may be that we are looking for different things in this game than others here, but I have asked some very specific questions of beta testers willing to answer and I have no doubt that I will be happy with the content and gameplay at launch.

Oh, and I'm one of those rare unicorns who enjoyed the heck out of CO as well. Quick, get a picture before I disappear like a mirage!

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:38AM (Unverified) said

I'm in beta and I've bought the game.

A number of friends and relations have, as well.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:35AM Wensbane said

I'll obviously buy STO sooner or later (a game like this simply can't be missing from my MMO collection) and I'll pass judgement then.

In any case, I probably won't be playing it much during the first six/seven months of it's existence. That's just a little rule I have for this genre. More people - especially those who become easily frustrated - should do the same. You'll end up playing a better game with a better community, which will lead to a better overall experience.

PS: I actually like the "single server with multiple clusters" idea. It worked well in CO and it removes the problem of having different friends on different servers (sometimes with different rulesets), which is something that truly annoys me.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:39AM (Unverified) said

It's been 44 years since the Star Trek universe was created by Gene Roddenberry on NBC, not 34 ;-)

My son and I have our pre orders in and are excited about the game - we play WoW together and have been looking forward to this title ever since Perpetual tried to get it started. We'll give the open beta our full attention starting next week and we both hope this game will be a good one!

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:54AM (Unverified) said

Considering how crushingly disappointing Champions Online was, and considering that Star Trek Online seems to have followed a similar beta pattern, I expect STO to also be a massive letdown and that it will be mediocre at its very best.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 12:09PM (Unverified) said

I'm one of the people that is actually in the beta and I have to say, to all of the people who are saying, "well I really dislike the game and uninstalled it weeks ago" you honestly have no idea what kind of game it is now. If there's one thing I'm willing to give Cryptic credit for, it's that they are very quick about fixing many of the major issues I've had with the game and everything from UI to audio to stability has gotten better and better in the recent weeks. I am very much looking forward to logging on this week and into the Open Beta next week.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 12:20PM Minofan said

I'm cautiously excited - I'm not intending to buy until I've had a chance to play it (as much for seeing how it runs on my PC & geography combo), and I'm categorically not buying it regardless until AFTER launch.

No more nasty surprises; I'd wait for a copy in the post or pay extra for Steam, before I'd trust in a Cryptic game - with the same peculiar test model - being the same pre & post launch.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 1:00PM (Unverified) said

Excited for Star Trek Online?
YES YES YES YES YES YES! :D

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 1:23PM NeoWolfen said

I have to say my overwhelming excitement over this game has vanished, not because my love of Trek has changed, but because this game, although pretty and sporting Cryptics excellent character customisation skills is otherwise..a rushed, largely dull and grindy shooter with non of the detail or tactical complexity of say EVE.

Add to that the fact Klingons will not have a PVE side and im pretty much turning my focus back to SW:TOR. Cryptic have for me atm failed to meet my minimum expectations.

There will be a lot of upset come the 12th from a lot of disappointed Trekkies and gamers alike. This game needs another 12 months development, and all the things they promised including, as it stands this is the only game I have ever considered cancelling my preorder for, and that saddens me greatly.

Beyond the odd month of mindless shooting I just dont see this game as having any longevity for the immediate future.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 3:34PM WhatDeficit said

I'm not going to get into gameplay specifics about that game because I think it would be unfair and I will abide by the NDA.

However, I will say that I am in the beta and have been playing it for some time. That being said, I will not be buying the game and I will not second guess that decision upon release.

Why, you may ask... I'll sum up everything that is wrong with the game. It is nothing but Champions Online re-skinned and in space. Re skinned to the point that in the early stages of the game had (and even now) many elements of the CO UI such as layout and color scheme.

To me, thats just laziness.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 3:39PM (Unverified) said

Or it might be a stop gap solution until the art work for ST:O is finished.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 3:47PM WhatDeficit said

I would like to think that's what was happening but with the exception of some of the navigation elements - it is the exact same UI. Its the same cluttered radar with text and icons that are just too small. It gives you the feeling that it was made with the intent of a console port that will never happen.

Though, to give them credit, you can move around just about every element of the UI which is a nice feature.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 5:02PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Yep, I remember when my superhero got in a spaceship and had to destroy enemy Romulans using phasers, torpedoes, and managing shields and abilities. You're right, it's exactly like Champions Online!

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 5:12PM dudemanjac said

I also keep hearingthiscomplaint that the font is the same in the game. And it should be more Trek. I actually looked up a apage that had a bunch of fonts, but I don't remember ever seeing anything written down in the shows or movies. Are they really asking for the kind of font you see in the credits or title. It's a nice font that gets the job done. What's the problem?

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 5:25PM WhatDeficit said

The problem is the font - people seem to be missing the bigger picture. Champions, by all accounts, is a flop. The animations, the engine, the content, the way abilities were structured were flawed.

So, why would you take a great IP like Star Trek and build it on a foundation that failed. I think the only way you can understand the comparison is if you played CO. It feels and plays almost exactly the same. Bad animations, bad art style (with the exception of the ship models which are great), a bad UI, weak gameplay, pointless PvP and no soul.

I'm not a hater - I've been trying to love this game but I just can't. I'm not sure I can even blame Cryptic directly. I'm sure the powers that be (Atari) are forcing them to put the game out before its ready. It needs a solid 6 months of additional development. Hell, they havent even hashed out major features such as crafting, an auction system, a balanced xp curve or monster difficulty levels.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 5:34PM dudemanjac said

• 1 heart
I play CO and I don't agree. Add that to the fact that the ground game is the smaller part of the game, and I don't see how you compare the too. One you use phasers on different settings. The other you can freeze them in place or turn them into teddy bears.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge