Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:23AM Aganazer said

I will not reward bad game design with my money. I can excuse polish as I prefer innovation. I can excuse stability as I know it will be fixed. I can excuse graphics as I prefer gameplay. I can even excuse a lack of content since I never expect more than 40 hours out of any game.

What I can't excuse is the bad game design that went into the makings of this game. Anyone that has designed a game before knows that sometimes your first cut of a new feature or mechanic doesn't play out as well as you hoped it would. That is when you go back and redesign the parts that don't work. Cryptic has completely bypassed this part of the design process in favor of meeting a ridiculous release date.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:38AM dudemanjac said

What about the game design don't you like?

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:57AM Aganazer said

• 1 heart
While I don't respect the game design, I will respect the NDA for anything more than a few opinions. Sorry dude.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:31AM (Unverified) said

Burned by Champions tiny sandbox

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:31AM (Unverified) said

I'll wait, as many will. I have no faith in the MMO market currently. Every AAA title has the fast food is > a full course meal attitude currently which in my humble opinion is ruining the genre. I am a fan of Star Trek in general don't get me wrong but every MMO seems to have the idea that instancing the world is the way to go and until that changes I won't buy another. I applaud any MMO with a fully connecting world, which the genre was built upon, until those days come back the genre will continue to suffer.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:40AM dudemanjac said

What didn't you like?

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:55AM Stormwaltz said

I've never been excited about STO. Not even when it was at Perpetual. In the last 15 years the "Wagon Train to the Stars" has decayed into a wasteland of empty technobabble, one-note characters, mindless political correctness, and ignored continuity. Voyager and Enterprise were simply *boring*. They had no soul and nothing to say. Only the brand name differentiated them from dozens of other lousy SF series that last a season or two, then die forgotten.

Cryptic's preposterously brief development time doesn't inspire me with confidence either. I've worked on multiple development teams that thought they could make a good "AAA" game in the time they've taken with STO. In all cases, the games came in late and overbudget. Most of the time they were critical and commercial failures as well.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:59AM Atnor said

I might check it out on a lark, but I'm not excited about the release despite being a big Trek fan.

I'm wary of Cryptic, I'm wary of the reviews being leaked out by beta players, and everything I've read about the gameplay itself doesnt sound promising. Even the screenshots I've seen give me pause.

They "might" get a box order and a month of gametime out of me, other than that, I'm not expecting to leave my current main MMO for this one.

Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. That would be cool :)

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 10:00AM dudemanjac said

First of all, I wish all you ppl who are more than willing to NDA would give explicit reasons for why you don't like the game. Enough of the driveby comments. Ppl are going to be reading these comments and make up their mind about if they will or will not spend $50 on a game. The least you could do is give a full assessment stating the good and bad of the product you tested.

The again, you've already proved that you're not trustworthy enough to keep your mouth shut during a closed beta. There really ought to be a database of ppl that pull that stuff.

I'm not telling anyone they have to like the game. I'm not telling anyone what to do with their money. I'm just saying that if you're going to break an agreement, don't halfass it. Spill the beans. Dish the dirt. Let it all out. Ppl need to know why the game is bad beyond the fact that Cryptic fumbled the ball with CO. It would also help if you had also been in a testing session sometime recently.

I

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 10:16AM MrGutts said

So if your argument the same when you openly pay to play a beta?

Did you know that NO court has ever ruled in favor of a game company for a NDA that made people click a box for a agreement.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 10:17AM MrGutts said

*is

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 10:29AM dudemanjac said

Yes it is. If you agree to an NDA, you should stick to it. And if you are not you should be fair about it.

Who said anything about courts? I'm just talking about being a man of your word. It's a shame that they don't stand behind that. If someone clicks the box and the company comes after them, the only excuse they could have is that they didn't read. I'd be ashamed to admit that. There's a great lack of that in the world these days.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 10:50AM Krag said

First off, violating the NDA (or even bothering to type anything to you) is NOT, as you put it, "the least you could do". You're not in the beta, you're jealous, stop acting like everyone owes you reports on the beta. It's not "fair" that us beta testers report anything to you.

Secondly, you make no sense - "ppl" don't "need to know why the game is bad" from beta testers during beta. Wait for reviews, wait for open beta, whatever. Just because you want to know does not mean you get to know what you want when you want it.

The game lacks a lot of polish. The menus are hard to look at, and the controls feel like they're trying to be "new and different" but end up being complicated. You also need to understand space combat is slow, at least to start with. Space combat is an interesting system, but you're going to spend a lot of time circling ships with your slow vessel.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:10AM dudemanjac said

Krag, you need to slow down, calm down and read better.

I never said the least you could do was break NDA. I said if you are going to break NDA, the least you could do was give a full assessment.

You are partially right. Ppl don't need to know why the game is bad from beta testers. They shouldn't know anything at all from beta testers until the NDA has been broken. My appeal was for ppl who have decided NDA means nothing to them to do more than just say the game is bad and drop the mic.

And thank you for doing what I asked. You are one of those ppl I spoke about and you gave an assessment of what you did and did not like. Yes you pitched a fit like a rotten child before hand because you thought it would be nice to come after me for some reason, but you did it and I'm proud of you.

I'll also thank you not to pretend to know anything more about me than I tell you. I have no reason to be jealous of beta testers. At no point have I ever disclosed whether I am or am not in the beta.

The way it's supposed to work.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:23AM (Unverified) said

I purposefully did not break the NDA, despite you asking me to. And no, saying you are in the beta is not against the NDA.

I'll repeat what I said, for clarity's sake: I am in the beta. I won't be buying the game.

Any conclusion you draw from that is your own.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 12:26PM dudemanjac said

Well I don't have it in front of me right now and I don't have time to try and look it up as I'm at work. But I'm pretty sure the agreement says that you are not supposed to spout off about the game including whether you are in it or not. So for right now we will have to agree to disagree. I can be convinced that I'm wrong though.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 2:46PM CCon99 said

The Devs have confirmed that you are allowed to say you are in beta, you just can't talk about any of your experiences from the beta testing phases. Just relax, in a week the game will go into open beta which means the NDA will likely be lifted. Then you'll get more people then you would wish explaining why they don't like the game.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 3:19PM dudemanjac said

Thank you, CCon99. In that case I owe an apology for assuming ppl saying they were in beta is breaking NDA. I'm still sure I read that somewhere, but in lieu of evidence to the contrary, I'll bite.

Doesn't excuse the other stuff, in my mind. I want to refute more of the negative things I have heard said, but that would be breaking NDA. I tried to get JP to give more detail, but he kinda stopped at Klingons.

Now that I've said that I think I just have to wait until NDA is done. It's been hard skating around issues when I really just want to blab about what I think is good and bad. I would imagine it shouldn't be too hard to tell what I think, but even that could be misunderstood.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 3:41PM Its Utakata stupid said

I'm not even sure why you are caring what other people in CB think about STO, dudemanjac. If you want to play the game when released, go play it. Experience if for yourself. And if you like it...more power to you. Don't let our general bad experience with Crypitc and/or STO CB rain on your parade...

...but it's simply not cool to ask CB players to break NDA to give you answers that maybe irrelevant to your decision to already purchase the game. It's not worth their time.

OB is likely around the corner...wait to get your answers then if you're desperate.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 4:05PM dudemanjac said

• 1 heart
And apparently you can't read either.

I'm in the beta. I'm talking to ppl who have already broken NDA but are only telling ppl that it is a bad game or ripping and not saying why. If you're going to break it, do it all the way.

With as many times as I've said that, I don't know how you can keep screwing it up.