Posted: Jan 5th 2010 8:39AM (Unverified) said

I was a long time CoH player and i am just worried that their missions are going to feel just as static and lifeless as the random missions in CoH.

I don't want their episodes to just be: ok use the Vulcan star base tile set and the blue pulsar space set and seed the area with x number of Romulans and your mission is to clear the space area then beam down to the station and touch the flashing console and thats it.

I am not in the beta and if someone in the beta just read that and said to themselves "wow i played an episode exactly like that" then i am very worried indeed.

then again it is set in the star trek universe and i can fire photon torpedoes.. so yes i am excited, i just am really scared of being disappointed. This is one time where i am anxious to play the game next month but in the back of my mind i am secretly hoping that i hear they pushed the game back 6 months for more polish and content.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 4:41PM smackphat said

Wow. I played a mission just like that.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 4:54PM (Unverified) said

WoW! I played a mission just like that... in WoW.. and AoC... and UO... and EVE.. and.. on and on.

All MMOs offer crappy missions.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 8:44AM Bri said

I'm really looking forward to this game as it promises something different. I'll be very disappointed if, on Feb. 2nd, I find out it sucks. If I just paid $50 so that I could find out on Jan. 12th that it sucks, I'll be disappointed and pissed off.

I'll wait. I'm solidly in the "was-excited-about-CO-until-I-played-it" camp.

On a side note, where do all these studios get off these days calling it an "open" beta these days, when in fact it's a paid-privilege preview and nothing open about it?

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 8:43AM CCon99 said

At one time I was excited. But the rush to release approach doesn't work for MMO's anymore. Players have shown they will quickly bail on a game they feel is just bare bones at release.

Developers like to use the term "MMO's are always a work in progress" after the game releases and that is very true. But companies like Cryptic seem to think they can use it as an excuse to "Develop on your Dime", which CO players already found out at CO's release and STO open beta players will get to find out next week.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 8:45AM elocke said

• 1 heart
Unlike the jaded folks above, I will judge the game when I play it. On that note, I AM excited but just like any hyped movie, game or book, I'm keeping it mild so that if it stinks I don't get all upset or if it's great than I can get all giggly on launch day.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 8:49AM (Unverified) said

who said we havent tried it? ;)

@ UltimateQ as far as I recall, Cryptic stated that the only thing they used from Perpetual was some art work and concepts.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 8:47AM ultimateq said

Surprisingly. I'm not really all that excited. Despite being a HUUUUUUUUUUGE trekky, the game simply doesn't sound all that fun on paper. I'm not even listening to what nay-sayers are saying. I'll give it a chance, only because I am a trekky, and I'll keep it open minded. But I don't expect this to be ground breaking fun.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:07AM Streamweaver said

I think the game has a lot to overcome for a lot of MMO players. Among those reasons:

1. The Trek label historically indicates a bad game. The IP just hasn't been managed well in the gamespace.
2. Crytpic produces mediocre games historically which compounds point one.
3. Cryptic seems to want to try to force players into both a subscription model AND a microtransaction model in CO and likely will in STO as well. I think this will turn a majority of players off.

These are already difficult challenges for the game and we haven't even gotten to how the game itself is. Nobody I know is stoked about STO and none of them can quiet say why.

I think a lot of players feel like games have just been vomited onto the public, one after another, since the release of AoC. These no evidence any of the games are bringing in new players (in the west at least) so game developers are stuck with the fanbase they created and probably deserve.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 3:16PM Its Utakata stupid said

MT's alone would kill any sense of immersion of Star Trek...and is likely in violation to the principals and spirit of the Federation. Unless they plan to make Ferenginar a 3rd playable faction...MT's will not make sense in STO. And I can't see the Klingon Empire using it either...I could go on about the stupidity of the whole thing from a lore perspective. /sigh

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 4:05PM dudemanjac said

If it's anything like it is in CO, the mt will mean so little it's hardly worth mentioning. Unless they are going to start selling different ship in mt I don't even see it as being anything more than ship renames, respecs (retcons), other costume options. Now if. None of which I plan to pay for. I think i bought something with the free points that came when I bought CO. the cyborg set, but that's it. I think.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 8:50AM phobic99 said

In a word: No.

I haven't been this NON-excited for a MMO in a very long time. Usually, I'll read up on an upcoming release and eventually cave in on buying it. This time though, I'm probably going to pass until the game is well below the $50 mark which should be very soon given how fast Champions Online dropped in price.

Maybe Cryptic should just package up their character creation tech and sell it to other MMO developers. *shrug*

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 8:51AM Snichy said

As time goes by and I hear more about it, I am becoming more and more trepidacious however I am still excited about a "Star Trek" game and will give it longer than most just for that reason!

I always said I would never judge a studio/developer on prior releases but if Cryptic cock this up as well as CO, there is no going back after this for me.

I dont really know how long it generally takes for an MMO to be developed but I would have thought 18 months is more than long enough. However someone on the forums asked a good question: If you were offered a delayed release date by 6-12 months but the game would be guaranteed AWESOME, would you take it or would you want it to be released now with some flaws and an assurance of patched improvements by this time next year? Surprisingly most people I think wanted it released now regardless. At this point, I would probably take the delay...!

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 1:14PM (Unverified) said

'...If you were offered a delayed release date by 6-12 months but the game would be guaranteed AWESOME..."

That's very subjective. There are posters that want to make STO mostly exploration and very little combat... there are posters who want to make this EVE Online: Star Trek Edition... etc.

There is no way to make a game "guaranteed AWESOME" to everyone.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 5:14AM Snichy said

Since its never going to happen, that would make it a hypothetical question and only a bit of fun - I think you are analysing it too much and missing the point, Rambie.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 8:53AM J Brad Hicks said

I'm cautiously optimistic, enough to break my embargo on open betas and on buying an MMO that's less than four months old. I root for a science fiction MMO to catch on in general, have been a Star Trek fan off and on since 1967, and there are things about the design that fascinate me, like the bridge officer system, the mix of space and ground combat, and the Genesis system for procedurally generated content.

But I'm only cautiously optimistic because WAR, MXO, and SWG taught me that an innovative design on top of a high-profile intellectual property is not, historically, a recipe for success.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 8:53AM (Unverified) said

No, not in the slightest. And now they are charging £50 for it on steam. AHAHAHAHAHA.

Thats £50, + ingame microtransations+ a sub.

Utter, complete ripoff. Its almost as if they know the game is going to be awful and are just seeking to grab as much cash as possible.

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 6:53AM Snichy said

Dont buy it then.

Simples.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:13AM WSCopic said

Did Flagship develop this game, because something just seems familiar about all of the comments here.....

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 9:22AM CCon99 said

That's not to far off, Cryptic is quickly earning the same reputation with their release then develop approach to game making.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014