Posted: Jan 5th 2010 12:17PM (Unverified) said

Looks like you've nailed a real problem with using real names in Second Life.

What would be nice would be the ability to change one's name. The problem is that in the process of signing on to SL for the first time, we had no idea whether SL would be something important or useful ... so name choice didnt seem very critical. Later, after carving out an identity in the virtual world, that hasty first day choice now may seem totally wrong. But we are stuck with it! Unless we want to give up all our non transferable objects and begin again with a totally new account.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 12:45PM (Unverified) said

I've seen two name-changes happen. I know there have been more, but I mean actually seeing someone get renamed during the course of a day. It was very peculiar. Both names existed in various parts of the system, depending on just what you were looking at. IM's? One name. Object creator? The other name.

I imagine lots of caches needed flushing, because it was days before everything started to agree on the new name.

Posted: Jan 15th 2010 2:03PM (Unverified) said

I did not wind up with a halfway bad name, although I could have picked a less confusing name. In retrospect though I am kicking myself for not picking a different name that I now know was available at the time.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 1:03PM (Unverified) said

It would not be hard to add a "1st Life Name" field to the profile 1st life tab, and a check box to "show instead of (or in addition to)avatar name". Keep the SL avatar name to disambiguate the John Smiths from each other.

Several issues with this idea besides name collision:

* A duplicated name would lead to problems with ban lists and abuse reports

* It would be a further wedge between groups of people "why don't you tell me your real name?", just like "why don't you use voice" is between some people now.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 1:06PM (Unverified) said

One thing that is really needed in a very critical way is for customers to define what their account identifier is and then select their "handle". This way they can have an account login that has nothing whatsoever to do with their public facing name. With this option people could easily choose to display a fantasy name or their given name. And they would not be as exposed to brute force attacks on their accounts. Let's hope Linden Lab goes in this direction after they sort out the problem use cases.

I suspect the end result of this is a lot more registered trademarks to ensure metaverse brands are protected.

And, most likely, LL will color fantasy names danger red and real names safe green in their never ending attack on the LGBT community. I also expect LL to deny commerce rights to those that do not choose real life names. Must be some reason LL is going after the LGBT community every chance they get.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 1:15PM (Unverified) said

@Ann Otoole: O.O

A SAN FRANCISCO-based company is doing this? Can you post more information?

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 1:14PM (Unverified) said

perhaps an option to have your custom name be displayed in your name bubble, prefixing yoru chat msgs etc, while in places that matter, like your profile, and when identifying authorship of objects etc, it would be somthing like "John Smith (AKA Potato Shooter)"

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 3:34PM (Unverified) said

Group tags and hover text are insufficient and it's very hard to take someone professional seriously when they are named something that is clearly not intended for a workplace situation.

I would like to see display names that refer to a unique account ID, much like how most messaging services allow for aliasing. This way everyone gets the name they want, assets refer to existing UIDs and all parties, whether using an account for work or play, end up happy.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 5:54PM (Unverified) said

I believe the "Real Name" will appear on the profile, with an option to show it above your avatar name (just like we do now with group titles). You may even have to verify your real name, just as you do with verifying age.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 7:03PM (Unverified) said

Changing names in itself seems reasonable - though it is taken for granted that names will remain consistent, just like avatar keys do. (I don't imagine any security-significant scripts would actually rely on name remaining constant as key is far more useful; the possibility always exists of course.) In fact I would prefer people with awful and annoying first names to change them. I do quite like the persistent surnames, I have to say, as they are connected to joining date.

But I suspect you are quite right in that this whole thing simply has not properly been thought through. There is not much point in trying to rewrite it to have it make sense as a proposal; "let people use their real names" just would not work.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 7:41PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

OMG I want to register Stephen Conroy as an SL name then put the avatar naked into some sleazy Zindra BDSM club. Maybe he will censor himself.

((Non-Aussies or those who are but don't read much news may not get this joke))

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 11:29PM (Unverified) said

It'd be cool if they add Real Name to profile or in place of/on top of av names inworld where group tag goes.

I got lucky though and they had my real name available when I joined 3.5 years ago. Alicia Stella in all my lifes!

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 2:33AM (Unverified) said

My real life friends who are in SL have called me by my SL name more times than I can count in RL, including my husband!

Posted: Jan 6th 2010 4:26AM (Unverified) said

This really should not be insurmountable, real life deals with these issues, our UUID is a unique identifier. Logon names and display names do not have to equal the same thing.

The way to go about this though it to only allow those with verifiable information to claim a name for a start, that way we don't get someone else pretending to be, for example, Tateru Nino.

Then yes, we'd need more information on a profile to find the person we're looking for. Fantasy names however could remain unique.

Posted: Jan 8th 2010 9:23AM (Unverified) said

The option to have a real life name already exists, altho it is buried in website. It would be so cool if Kingdon knew a little more about SL other then how to squeeze it for money, wouldn't it?

From the SL website:

Can my avatar have my real name? Is it possible for my enterprise group to share one surname?
Currently within Second Life, there are two naming options for organizations to choose from. Business enterprise group administrators can permit members to select a surname offered upon registration or choose to purchase a customized group surname from Linden Lab that allows you to set up a corporate last name that you can use to create an unlimited number of employee accounts. For example, Joe Morris is an AT&T employee and can choose to a standard Second Life last name, from a drop down menu available during registration. Or, if AT&T’s administrator purchases the corporate last names option, then Joe Morris have the name of Joe AT&T, to help create a common affiliation and group among AT&T employees. In the last example, everyone who works at AT&T would have the same corporate last name to help employees identify themselves inworld. Regardless of what Second Life name scheme is chosen, all employees can wear inworld “name tags” that clearly display real names.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 9:42AM (Unverified) said

Not really usable for RL names ...
from https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Custom_Name_Program#Custom_surnames:
"Last names must clearly be an organizational or corporate name, and distinguished from personal last names (surnames). For example, "Smith" is not acceptable, but "SmithCorp," "SmithInc," "SmithProducts" or "SmithConstruction" are."

Vanity names (https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Custom_Name_Program#Custom_vanity_names) might do but are only "available at Linden Lab's discretion".

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 9:57AM (Unverified) said

oops, my comment above was meant as a reply to comment 14.