Posted: Jan 3rd 2010 4:19PM Pingles said

PvP is an interesting point in the current version of Allods.

Players currently have a PvP flag. It was assumed by a large number of players this meant that PvP would be consensual, like WoW's PvE servers.

The latest Russin open-beta notes confirm this, mentioning that the flag system had been "fixed".

However, currently all players are flagged once they step into Holy Lands. The Russian players confirm this on their open-beta version of the game.

So we are left wondering if Allods will be a Darkfall-esque PvP-only game after level 20 or if the current version is bugged and it will be consensual PvP.

The Allods forums have several active threads about this subject but no word yet from the developer.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2010 5:55PM (Unverified) said

Ah well I was interested in this but if pvp isn't optional I won't bother with it

Posted: Jan 3rd 2010 6:24PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Dont they need some players first before they think about PVP :P

Posted: Jan 3rd 2010 6:34PM (Unverified) said

Do you frequently post random comments that make you look like an idiot or is this an exception? Allods has a crapload of players in CB currently, and in the pvp zones.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2010 7:57PM Wensbane said

Ok, time to post a comment that will be voted down into oblivion, for the first time. Anyway...

If PvP is made consensual I'm afraid I'll have to pass. I mean, what's the point?

Here we have a game about two warring factions, locked in a brutal struggle for control over the few remaining allods, and yet, players are suddenly allowed to say: "No, thank you. I'm not in the mood for war today!".
It just doesn't make any sense and it would completely destroy my immersion to have players from the opposite faction "questing" peacefully right next to me, in a contested area.

In fact, this whole thing just wreaks of poor design (I'm talking Aion Rift bad). The way I see it, they have two alternatives now: Provide both PvP (perma-flagged) and PvE servers OR introduce alternative non-contested levelling areas for each faction and keep the perma-flag in places like the Holy Lands.

Anything else would be in direct conflict with the great lore that they have. So I ask you, please Astrum Nival, do not ruin a great game by trying to please everyone. Choose a target audience and provide an enjoyable experience for that group, like CCP. It's really your only hope (well, that and keeping gPotato from adding overpowered items to the in-game shop).

Posted: Jan 3rd 2010 8:50PM Pingles said

No, not voted down. I have a great deal of respect for those that look for the challenge of trying to level a player all the while watching their back for enemy players.

My schedule pretty much rules out any PvPing but I understand the attraction and have fond memories of Dark Age of Camelot's PvP.

In fact, for me it would be perfect for Allods. And perhaps you.

Camelot had zones which were PvP as soon as you stepped in. There were 12 zones in all and it had plenty of room to go hunting in without being a deathmatch style free-for-all. The hunting was great in these zones so everyone tried to go out there and it made for some great, giant battles as groups of protected XPers were attacked and then defended when they called out the alarm.

I'd welcome that in Allods.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2010 10:46PM Ohhlaawd said

My sentiments exactly.

Posted: Jan 4th 2010 6:53AM Its Utakata stupid said

Unfortunately they is another angle Wensbane may not have concidered: Assuming Allods will F2P with MT's, and the best PvP gear is item mall'd, then players with thin wallets will always be dominated by players with fat wallets. Thus if they don't "have players from the opposite faction 'questing' peacefully right next to" each other, then the game will be an ugly loss cause for many. It's all well and good to spout love afair for open ended PvP standing in the safety of a sub based Eve, but essence of fun, fairness and immersion will be destroyed when the best gear goes to those with the biggest RL bank accounts. Just saying.

Posted: Jan 5th 2010 10:41AM (Unverified) said

Last patch really fixed PVP in some interesting way. All mobs in Holy Land have a chance to drop the Battle Banner - item that activates aura-like buff. Everyone in range of aura are PVP, everyone outside still PvE (although everyone can become PVP by toggling flag, just like in wow)
another point - many quests lead player to PVP-flagged mobs, thus enabling PVP for the unsuspecting :)

fell free to ask any questions. (I have 40 lvl Summoner in russian open beta)

Posted: Jan 4th 2010 6:48AM Zensun said

• Half a heart
How many people has gPotato paid to promote this WoW clone? I'm not surprised about Keen, who jumps on every new MMO for a couple of weeks and is probably escatic to find a *literal* clone of WoW - but, come on, Massively!

Posted: Jan 4th 2010 6:55AM Zensun said

Apologies, got this game confused with Alganon... :/

Posted: Jan 4th 2010 7:19AM Its Utakata stupid said

Um...I was going to say...but I don't think you're the only one that's made that mistake. Since both Allods and Alganon appear to be using a similar graphics engine as WoW.

I will probably say this, Alganon is most certainly a WoW rip off. Where as Allods may used WoW as inspiration. Perhpas if WoW became steam punk...Allods is what it would look like. /shrug

PAX Prime 2014: Strife learns from the past