Posted: Jan 1st 2010 8:51PM LaughingTarget said

Not a surprise. I can't think of anything they've done other than Meridian 59. Trying to run a business around a game that's 13 years old is a nightmare. Besides, Near Death bought the game off the original devs.

Posted: Jan 1st 2010 10:32PM (Unverified) said

Meridian 59 did a lot for MMO's though. While it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that a game this old isn't earning a company big bucks, kudos to them for making the game in the first place.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2010 3:04AM Seffrid said

A great shame. I doubt any of the newer generation of MMO players have even heard of Meridian 59, but for the older generation whether they cut their MMO teeth on UO, EQ or AC the chances are that they started out with either Meridian 59 and/or the Realm.

It's always sad to see the company behind one of the original creations closing down. My thanks to Near Death Studios for their contribution to this genre, and best wishes for the future of all involved.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2010 5:51AM Psychochild said

Laughing Target wrote: "Besides, Near Death bought the game off the original devs."

Actually, we bought the game from 3DO before they went bankrupt. If we hadn't, then M59 probably would have fallen into oblivion since the source code was on a failing hard drive when we got it. 3DO bought the company the original developers had formed, Archetype Interactive, in 1996. I personally started working on M59 at 3DO in 1998, and NDS (myself and Rob Ellis, one of original developers himself) bought the game in 2001 to relaunch it. Our goal was to preserve the game.

As I posted in my blog, I'm moving to other projects. I'm not dead yet. :)

Have fun!

Posted: Jan 2nd 2010 6:55AM SkuzBukit said

All the best for the future.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2010 2:42PM (Unverified) said

So many possible puns in the title of this article, and yet you go with "closes down" ? What a wasted opportunity.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2010 1:34AM Anatidae said

Brian,

Goodluck in your future endeavors. I always thought you were a bit crazy to pick up M59 and run with it, but damn if you didn't keep it alive all these years! Wow, now that I think about it, like 9 years.

Ever keep in touch with Szeder? He is still plugging away at mobile games I think. Huge market in the mobile space coming up, not that it doesn't already do well already.

Again, good luck on your next project. I'll be watching your blog!

-Brian! (roshambo)