Posted: Dec 29th 2009 11:54AM (Unverified) said

There has been only one game/game patch that has made me cancel my sub outright and that was WAR. When they took away forts (cant remember exactly what patch number that was) from being critical components in capturing a T4 zone that to me was the last straw. We could go into a huge debate about if that was right or wrong what it did to the game design (and Im sure lots of people would love to argue one way or the other) but I dont want to get into it here, but to me it was the last nail in the coffin that pushed me to unsub. The game was in no way perfect but to me it was the most fun Ive had in an mmo when it came to mass grp pvp.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 1:35PM Sean D said

Absolutely. As consumers, activating or canceling our subscriptions is the only voice we have that has a chance to be heard. Even then, unless we all activate or cancel in union, I tend to believe that our voices are muffled in the statistics of the usual month-to-month account activity reports.

I do know that forums don't work. They are a medium for whining, not constructive criticism or healthy debate about the characteristics of a game. Look at any of them. Any initial post in a thread (expressed opinion) in a forum is, more often than not, ridiculed disrespectfully by some other frequent forum-goer while the meat of the post is otherwise ignored. And there is never any indication that your idea was considered by someone with an influence, small or large, over the game.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 1:21PM (Unverified) said

I hate when fanboys on an MMO's forums lash out at anyone who criticizes their precious game with the usual "go back to WOW, noob!" They need to realize that the reason those players are sticking around and posting their constructive criticism is because, deep down, they want to keep playing the game. They want to see it improve so they can justify continuing to spend $15 a month on it.

If you were an MMO developer, which would you rather have: players who actively complain about things they don't like and want changed, or players who silently cancel and walk away, never to be heard from again?

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 1:42PM (Unverified) said

I always vote with my wallet.

WoW is boring at end game because it's just raiding, so I canceled.
WAR ran like crap even on high end systems, and has no end game, so I canceled.
LotRO was just the same old stuff I've seen before, so I canceled.
AoC got very boring very fast, so I canceled.
NCSoft treated TR like crap, pulled some BS, so I will NEVER buy one of their products again.

I want something different. The MMO genre is so stale right now. Looking forward to APB for something different. TOR will be nice for the storyline, but probably not a long-term game. Cataclysm will bring me back, but if it's still just raiding at the end, I'm gone again.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 4:36PM oxlar said

I absolutely vote with my wallet. No game is big enough, in my world, to keep me as a slave to it. If things piss me off, I'll go and do something else. The last occurance of this was COH/COV a while back when they nerfed energy melee. My three favorite toons got declawed in one patch. "Screw you guys, I'm going home."

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 2:10PM Evy said

I've never gotten so mad at a game that I quit in a huff. But I certainly wouldn't pay for something I was no longer interested in. I've quit many, many MMOs over the years.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 2:32PM (Unverified) said

I'm an egoistic person so as long as a game is still fun overall i play it - even if i dislike some aspects of it.
If a game goes to far in the wrong direction i cancel. This may be triggerd by a certain change but is always based on a couple of reasons.

Posted: Dec 31st 2009 6:43PM (Unverified) said

Yes I do. If it is really bad and seems there is no hope it is time to take your vote away. Also not warzing and awsome game and buying it instead would be a vote of support.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 4:28PM (Unverified) said

I'm discussing this right now with my friends. While Runes of Magic is free to play, we play on an EU server. And the recently announced changes to how diamonds can and cannot be used has us searching for a new game.
How is restricting diamonds purchased with Paypal FOREVER reasonable? I can never ever buy a present for someone else if I buy diamonds this way or with a credit card. Their 30 day hold policy was bad enough, but we've entered the land of the nutters here.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 6:04PM markt50 said

I've cancelled numerous games as a result of issues.

Probably my biggest was when I cancelled my SOE Station Access account the very same day they introduced Station Cash into EQ2. Up until that day I had been a Station Access subscriber for years and was happy to pay my $29.99 a month or whatever it was. In protest at the introduction of a system like Station Cash into an already well establish game I cancelled immediately and have never resubbed since.

I cancelled my WoW account when they introduced the Pet Store, but to be honest I was already drifting away from that game and had cancelled and then gone back on several occassions.

I've also completely avoided games due to knowing they would have ingame item stores in them. I beta tested Champions Online put decided not to purchase thanks to the ingame store.

It's not always been about ingame stores and microtransactions though, I cancelled my CoX subscription when Tabula Rasa was cancelled, This was the second time I felt let down by NCSoft after they canned Auto Assault so I decided that I could no longer trust them as a company and felt I can expect any one of their games to die at any moment so why bother investing my time and money with them.

Maybe it's an age thing and I'm just turning into a grumpy old man, but I'm finding that it is easy to find more and more reasons to keep me away from a game, the fact that I won't touch a game with MicroTransactions in kind of rules out many these days anyway, guess I'll soon be left just playing pacman, now where did I put that MAME emulator ;)

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 6:08PM Graill440 said

Sadly Mark, ingame stores are here to stay. In a very few years they will be the norm.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 6:06PM Graill440 said

Voting with your wallet is the only way to get things changed. To bad the majority gladly waste cash.

Happily there are games like Dragonage, Arma 2, Borderlands, until something good is released.

Posted: Dec 30th 2009 1:41AM (Unverified) said

Yeah I do. Often there will be a 'last straw' for me that will just make me quietly open the account window and cancel my sub.

WoW opening the RMT pet store.

Aion's inability or unwillingness to deal with goldfarmers and gold spammers, months after release.

Sometimes companies. I refuse to buy anything sold by Activision.

It's probably completely pointless, since those companies are so huge they aren't going to notice my 14 bucks a month missing. However I keep thinking if a few more people do the same thing, our numbers might send a message, however I doubt it will happen, as most of the sheep will continue to whinge on the forums while handing over their money every month.

Either way, I believe in standing up for my principles, whether I get anything out of it or not.

Posted: Dec 30th 2009 3:12AM (Unverified) said

Yeah, SWG. Shur the NGE sucked but it was not that idiocy that drove me to quit. It was Sony Online Entertainment's method of bait and switch. They sold an expansion, Trials of ObiWan, put in it some of the best Creature handler gear ever, and then 1 week after it was released, brought out the NGE which eliminated 2 of the classes I liked to play. I and the 10 other people I played with would have never purchased the expansion had the NGE been public knowledge. As it was it took alot of effort to get SOE to refund that money.

But that is history, SOE's business practices are still the same. They keep telling current SWG subscribers to stay with the game. They tell the subscribers that it will not close down when SWOR is released. They lie and everyone knows it.

So, I quit a game Company, I vote with my dollar and have never played a SOE supported game again, and I never will.

Posted: Dec 30th 2009 3:24AM Jeromai said

It's a weird way to phrase the question because everyone does vote with their wallet eventually, by buying the game and continuing a subscription or canceling when they're no longer getting any use out of spending the money (including showing support or lack thereof for a developer).

Personally, for game changes I don't like, I'd try a calm, rational argument on the forums first expressing my viewpoints. Part of my criteria for a game I support a long time involves good community involvement by devs or a good community rep, so it's not so much a shot in the dark as it appears.

If I don't care about the game enough to do that, and have lost interest in playing it anyway, then the subscription canceling begins. Normally, I'll leave a civil note in the feedback form about exactly why I'm canceling, so that it gets lumped in with the rest when the feedback is reviewed. This is for games which I think will actually value the feedback and do something useful with it.

I was mildly amused when I quit DDO because I got bored waiting around for teams with nothing to solo (and stated so in the feedback) and some months later, the devs started to add some solo opportunities. I suspect I wasn't the only one to quit DDO in its first incarnation. Left amicably enough, might revisit some day.

I often don't manage to say anything for games without any subscription to cancel though. Those on 1-2 month installments (game card, Paypal) or F2P, I might just get bored one day and not bother to give that company more money, and poof, just disappear.

If I really hate the game or just can't be arsed because I'm positive the devs won't even care to read the feedback, then it just gets dropped without a word because I'm not coming back ever, don't bother to fix anything on my behalf, save it for trying to survive in the cutthroat market.

Posted: Dec 30th 2009 6:16PM (Unverified) said

I've been thinking of "voting with my wallet" against WoW some time. I've been drifting away from it for over a year now, but I've got a lot of good real-life friends that still play it, and I have to admit it can be fun to just hop in and game with them from time to time. On its own though, it's proving to be a rather poor game. I thought they made a huge improvement in Burning Crusade, but Wrath of the Lich King killed it for me.

I'm closer to canceling that subscription every day, but I'd like to have something else to fill its shoes. Until I get that, I may hang in there. Right now, there's no other MMO I'd subscribe to on the market in terms of drawing my interest. The Secret World looks pretty cool though, so we'll see.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014