Posted: Dec 28th 2009 9:18PM J Brad Hicks said

Their ongoing flat refusal to go back and rewrite the mind-bogglingly awful default hero content from level 5-20, and the fact that the development team's art editing tools stink so bad that it takes an act of Congress to add an art asset to the game, are holding it back from being the greatest, most popular MMO in the history of the genre, for all of the reasons above plus one more: no other MMO in history, or even on the current drawing boards, gives you so much freedom to customize your character and its powers. 682 character sub-classes. Hundreds of generic costumes, not even counting the tens of thousands of possible combinations of costume parts. And it's got enough built-in content to fully level six heroes or four villains without repeating any of it, before you even glance at the player-created content, and the best team building and management tools of any MMO (although WAR comes close, and has one innovation I wish CoH would copy), and the best design ever for letting any random group of players of any combination of levels and character classes play together and still have a good time.

You can play an orc in City of Heroes. You can't play a superhero in WoW.

You can play a goblin shaman in City of Heroes. You can't play a robot in WAR.

You can play a human ranger in City of Heroes. You can't play a mutant shapeshifter in LotRO.

You can play an irradiated survivor of a near-future apocalypse in City of Heroes. You can't play a mystical sorcerer in Fallen Earth.

You can play a flying pixie knight in City of Heroes. You can't play a time traveler in a distant-future ultra-tech battlesuit in Free Realms.

And so on, and so on, and so on.

(P.S. The Circle of Thorns are merely challenging, and quite lucrative to fight once you learn their secrets. Once you get used to fighting them, too-popular targets like The Council and the Freakshow, where you just wade in swinging, are boring. But then, I'm a 4 year veteran in CoH, I should have learned something about how to play the game by now.)

Posted: Dec 28th 2009 9:30PM Eliot Lefebvre said

So someone actually does enjoy fighting the Circle of Thorns.

All right, then, almost nobody likes to.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 3:11AM (Unverified) said

InfamousBrad: All of your points are quite valid and eloquent. However, one missed the mark - "no other MMO in history, or even on the current drawing boards, gives you so much freedom to customize your character and its powers". Champions trumps COH hands down in this area. I have played COH almost as long as you have and the content is the strongest reason to log in along with the awesome community (present company included). Again, CO's customization is an entire decade beyond COHs and its saving grace. It is almost a sell just for the character creation and customization alone. Folks may not like the comic-book look of CO but it does put the player in that state of mind more so than COH (IMHO).

Now that you mention it, Champions has the same issue with content from levels 5-20...interesting to say the least. You get travel powers a LOT sooner in CO (you REALLY need them because the maps are huge to say the least) but, the content is even worse than COH at the early levels. It's not till the Nemesis system and Unity kicks in at 25 and 40 (weak end game here too) that things take off with hopes for more end game content.

I will continue to play both for their strengths and curse their faults.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 12:08PM cyanpill said

I've never really heard of people hating the CoT... each of the groups has their own quirks and can be challanging in the right settings..

But yes, I agree with InfamousBrad, and if i was paying for a game right now it would be City of X.

Posted: Dec 28th 2009 10:21PM (Unverified) said

I wish that the CO crew would get this. I think CO is fun, but my big gripe is that I can't always jump into a nice instance at will.

It's mind boggling that Cryptic hasn't leveraged one of the most popular features of their old game properly, instead favoring an open world dynamic and ignoring the solo/team instances that made CoX great.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 7:59AM Sente said

Since the instances was pretty much where all of the action is in City of Heroes/Villains I can understand that Cryptic wanted to get away a bit from it - the environments are all too similar.

I think what City of Heroes/Villains manages better than Champions Online is to keep things simple and easy to use.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 11:37AM (Unverified) said

I re-subbed this summer before CO came out and enjoyed playing some villians but only up to the teens, usually by the time I had a travel power I was bored to tears of the door missions. At the time the architect had some ok missions (and a lot of farming missions) but even the best were door missions with some funny writing.

I guess what I am saying is COX is worth the price of admission but like every MMO these days, tedious after a little while. And since it is going to be compared to CO inevitably it just needs to offer something more content wise in the lower levels since that is something its pretty competitor does not have.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 5:14PM Sam not Spam said

I would say this article is 2/3rd's right. I do not see the Police Scanner/Newspaper missions as being much in the way of "content" so much as "filler" or "activity." Now, on the plus side, they are how you get to the very fun Safeguard and Mayhem missions.

And I like the Circle of Thorns as they are varied, challenging, and satisfying to smack down. Much better than Malta who are boring until they cheat (Sappers). At higher levels I'd much rather fight Thorns than Longbow (there's no reason for Ballistas to be as hard as they are!).

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 8:18PM (Unverified) said

After playing COX for over 3 years and just a few months ago ending my subscription I will agree with a lot of the first poster. I find, as with other commenters that the newspaper mishs are a lot of "filler" content. The teaming system was indeed a great strength of the game, as well as the ability to just pick up and play. I noticed over the years that while rolling a new character was a great way to shake things up I still had to do all the things I hated (low levels) over again. At the end of the day rolling new characters was a band aid and at the end of the day it wasnt worth it to keep shelling out the $ (it probably didnt help that I kept losing friends making it harder to get dedicated teams/groups).
I ended up trying Champions for a month and during that time I found the same low level hurdles, which was an immediate turn off. At this point I'm holding out for Star Trek Online even though the odds aren't in its favor.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 1:00PM (Unverified) said

I aint played Co(V) in ages but last time i played everyone loved fighting CoT (including myself) because CoT guys ressed themselves after dying which gave dble xp!!! (and they still went down just as easily the next time!) The great thing about Co(V) is the char customisation which meant that depending on what you picked different factions would be harder to beat than others for instance my one puny lvl 50 cant kill miss liberty (at all!)

One Shots: Hello, autumn