Posted: Dec 27th 2009 10:21PM karnisov said

ahh MUDS. the reason i dropped out of college the first time. lol.

Posted: Dec 27th 2009 11:48PM SgtBaker said

They were also the reason I ever bothered to learn C and switch my major to CS and get into IT.

Oh the countless hours spent on debugging the Diku source..
MUDs made me a whitecollar codeslave!

Posted: Dec 28th 2009 5:49AM Seffrid said

For me MUDs were a natural graduation from offline text adventures, I relished the chance to play such games with other people the moment I got an internet connection. Of course, they turned out to be but a stepping stone to MMORPGs, but I enjoyed immensely my couple of years or more playing Avalon, Orone, Cardea, and Archaea - they were the main ones for me, as I recall. What impresses and surprises me is the extent to which MUDs were, and still are, cult games for the college and university crowd.

Posted: Dec 28th 2009 7:08AM Dread said

Ahh MUDs...I lost countless days sleep playing TrekMUSE and about 9 different Wheel of Time themed MUDs...and about another half dozen Diku standard clones...good times....Gen Y numpties don't know what they missed :p

Posted: Dec 28th 2009 1:11PM (Unverified) said

The amazing thing is that MMORPGs aren't much different than MUDs were 15-20 years ago. Back then, we MUDders used to complain about level grinding, spawn campers and lack of end-game content! Funny how little things have changed over the years.

Posted: Dec 28th 2009 2:43PM nearly nil said

I hardly realized the significance of MUDs back when I played them (1995 or so). They were, in my opinion then, an inferior version of games like Zork, that had the single advantage of being persistent. In fact, they were the future. By the way, I played MirkwoodMUD.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014