Posted: Dec 24th 2009 11:08AM Rawry said

Sony is sorely mistaken if they think they're attracting the teen demographic. The 13 and 14 year old bracket would definitely call something like Free Realms gay. Seems far more appealing to the 7-11 year old group. Don't get me wrong though, I know people of all ages play the game.

Posted: Dec 24th 2009 1:23PM ultimateq said

I've quit the game do to the new update. I didn't rant or flame on about how I hated it. I left gracefully.

I've made several attempts to show them where their system is flawed including lengthy forum posts, narrated videos and bug reports. However I, and virtually everyone else have received no response regarding these changes.

They more than likely assume that players will simply get over it. So instead, I simply left.

I hope to enjoy Wizard101 in the future as my new casual MMO.

Massively, if you feel up to the challenge. How about writing an article about casual MMOs? Their appeal and their pro's and con's. As well as a list of various MMOs which would categorize themselves as "casual".

So far the only 3 decent Casual MMOs that I know of are Free Realms, Wizard101 and Dungeon Runners.

Posted: Dec 24th 2009 4:16PM DrewIW said

An MMO is as casual as you make it.

Simply applying the "casual" label to a game seems kind of counter-productive.

Posted: Dec 24th 2009 4:24PM ultimateq said

That's not quite right. There are some MMOs that are simply not casual friendly. It will take you years to progress to any reasonable state. A casual friendly MMO means you can accomplish something in very short spurts of time, which is what Free Realms did. I could log in, do a quick solo dungeon, and log off; all in about 10 minutes. Which is why I enjoyed it.

Games like WoW, EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, AoC, Warhammer, Blah blah blah etc etc etc, aren't quite that casual friendly. Though with the release of patch 3.3, and the new dungeon finder/lfg features, WoW is the closest out of all of the above mentioned.

These "casual" games aim more at short, yet satisfying play times, where you can still accomplish something, no matter how short of time you have to play.

Your right in that any game can be casual friendly if you just choose to play it very little, however you can't really accomplish much in those short times with these beefy MMOs.

Posted: Dec 24th 2009 4:52PM ultimateq said

There is my all in one forum post. Including my long, long, long post, and my narrated video.

Posted: Dec 25th 2009 2:44AM (Unverified) said

Did they delete the post?

Posted: Dec 25th 2009 7:23AM (Unverified) said

Make that two... Dungeon Runners is shutting down in a few days.

Posted: Dec 25th 2009 8:42AM ultimateq said

Looks like they did, Turlagh. They deleted the post.

Posted: Dec 25th 2009 2:42AM (Unverified) said

UltimateQ, I'm sorry to hear you quit Free Realms. The combat really is a shadow of it's former self, but I can't give up the warm, fuzzy environment of the game. I play Wizard 101 with my son too, but the cheezy graphics and monotonous game play prevents it from replacing Free Realms as my favorite. The old combat system, to me anyway, was perfect. It was a nice break from WoW without being too dumbed down.

Posted: Dec 25th 2009 8:46AM ultimateq said

http://forums.station.sony.com/freerealms/posts/list.m?start=210&topic_id=14978#137182 try that instead, I'm not sure why that old link seems to be broken.

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014