Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 5:50PM Araxes said

I do wish they would 1.) Turn on anti-aliasing when they do these, and 2.) floating islands are nice - but didn't we dio this before ? Oh. Right. 2006. That whole expansion called Kingdom of SKY.

Just saying.

They are pretty, I suppose.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 6:52PM (Unverified) said

Turning down pandas in 3...2...1.... DOWN!

Because I'm an adult like most of EQ2's former players, not a kiddie who was aiming for Free Realms and somehow ended up in Norrath by mistake.

SOE's misperception of its EQ2 players as mental children is the real reason the servers are empty. Kids play WoW. Adults play something with challenge, like EQ2 used to have. Childifying EQ2 with dreck like "Gigglegibber Goblins" (gak!) shoehorned into a reasonably fun FRPG only alienated the adult players, and WoWifying it put the rest of the nails in the coffin.

Typical clueless management flailing around and creating fail for a formerly successful product. Nothing unusual for a big company...

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 9:12PM Pigeonko said

But... EQ1 has the panda guys too. I agree they're silly but eh. It's a game with talking frogmen and stuff.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 8:06PM Saker said

I used to play EQ2, enjoyed it for awhile but the last expansion bored me to tears. I was hopeful maybe this new one would be a different direction, something interesting and fun? Haven't seen or heard anything interesting or new to bring me back. I have to agree with the first poster above, the floating islands? Been there, kinda bored with floating islands.... I have no idea where $oE puts it's money or creativity (assuming it has any, creativity that is, have no doubt it's got money) these days. I think it's the small independent developers who are the only hope for anything new/interesting/innovative/FUN! These big companies like $oe and Blizzard are dinosaurs.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2009 12:24AM (Unverified) said

Nice ripoff of the Pandaren from Warcraft.

I realize putting an animal native to China in Chinese-like clothing when you turn them anthropomorphic isn't hugely unique and originally anyway, but still, it looks a little too blatant for my taste. I guess they figure if WoW isn't going to add them, why not capitalize on the idea. Seems like the EQ2 team has been out of them for awhile now anyway.

EQ3 can't come soon enough. Maybe we'll get the real Norrath back.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2009 12:40AM (Unverified) said

The panda people are from Everquest 1, its not really copying WoW. You people really need to do your research before you just go spewing accusations of things you clearly know nothing about. Although yes I agree, hopefully EQ3 will be great.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2009 3:20AM (Unverified) said

I have tried so many times to get into EQ2 but I can only last for a short time. I think that the uncanny valley gets to me really quickly. The game has been out so long that I also think that I will be way too far behind as well.

None the less, it is a well made game and one that deserves an audience. Good luck to them and the players!

Posted: Dec 23rd 2009 4:42AM (Unverified) said

I love EQ2. I think it's full of content. Seems like SOE is trying to make the game more accesible for everyone, including hardcore raiders and casual players. Don't forget MMOs are bussiness and they need to make them successful in terms of money making. I am happy as long as the game continues, cause i think it's a good MMO.

Hugs.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2009 7:48AM (Unverified) said

EQ2's engine makes the game feel like you're playing a broken down car. Models disappear with no fadeouts, stiff animation, bad lighting (well, they're fixing that one), mismatching textures or the same texture everywhere making the game look like Doom II in some places, general slowness. It's just not fun.

Posted: Dec 24th 2009 1:06AM (Unverified) said

Take a look at this video:

The animation is so robotic it should be a shame to have the Sony name attached to this. Surely with their budget they could get more continuous and fluid animations! This is the type of "broken down" I'm talking about right here. I've seen independent studios that produce better 2d animation than this junk. It's just reprehensible. Maybe I'd subscribe to EQII on a long term basis if they lowered their subscription point to at most $6/mo.

Posted: Dec 25th 2009 5:12PM Pigeonko said

Nobody likes the lynx mounts, not one bit. The horse mounts have great animation and then.. this?

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly