Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 11:21AM MtthwRddl said

Level 15 in the starter zone? You may as well make it level 10, as most people won't get past that point.

Stuck to the starter zone is lame. A player can get the starter zone done in an hour. They should have at least given the player access to the crisis zones. At least then they could buy new skills and craft a little.

It does make me wonder. It took WAR a year and a little to figure out they needed an unlimited free trial, and only did it on their deathbed. How does CO doing an unlimited free trial less than half a year from it's release a good sign for the game?

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 11:27AM (Unverified) said

Maybe they saw the positive side of what WAR did with their trial and started it straight off the bat.

Just because one game does something on its death bed does not mean another game doing it is on it's death bed.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 11:46AM (Unverified) said

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 11:47AM GaaaaaH said

'Legendary Defender of Millennium City' Perk!

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 11:53AM Dumac said

Gief smaller demo client, OMG

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 11:57AM (Unverified) said

The biggest limitation of this demo is you can't ever choose new powers. You level up but it's pretty meaningless since you're stuck with the 2 powers you chose at creation and that's it. Just including a Power House (where you can acquire and test out new powers) in the demo area would have helped greatly.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 12:21PM dudemanjac said

We get it. You don't like the game. I don't understand why some ppl make a carrer out of ripping this game apart. You don't see me raiding the Eve forums down the room Let's for a second assume that yes it is failing. I'm not going to argue that because I don't have numbers and I also think it may not be doing as well as intended. Why is it bad for them to try to keep bringing ppl in> Whether it's a free weekend or a new trial offer, not only is it a smart thing to do, it's their mother spankin duty to do all they can to fix what's broken and keep the game alive as long as humanly possible.

I still play once in a while. I've been distracted by CoD and a beta test for some other game, but when I'm not doing that, I'm play CO. My brother just bought it and I made new characters. There were even a couple of new mission I noticed. One was pretty long and was more than just kill these guy for this anonymous reason.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 12:41PM Alarie said

Well said dudemanjac. It is a pretty competitive market. I play CO as well and like the game. They should be doing this and thinking of over creative and innovative ways to bring in people.

I think this demo/trial is in the right direction. It will let the person on the fence know if the game runs well on their computer, If they like the feel of the game (UI, Graphics, story, etc).

People's time is limited and I'm glad 7+ day trials are becoming a thing of the past. This way I can not rush to find out if I like the game or not, I can play an hour or two a night when I have free time to see if I like the game.

Kudos to CO, AoC, Warhammer for doing this.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 1:37PM CCon99 said

I have no problem with them trying to think of ways to bring in new people. CO is sinking faster then most thought it would (Millennium City during prime time only has 3-5 instances compared to 2 months ago when there were over 50 instances on the single server) and unless they announce some kind of "Subscription Pass" service I suspect STO's launch will actually end up hurting CO due to the fans of Cryptic games who will jump ship (no pun intended) to support their newest effort in STO.

I also have no problem with someone showing their displeasure in a game they shelled out a lot of money for. I can totally understand players being upset that they've been paying a monthly fee since launch while Cryptic is more worried about giving out free weekends and trial time to people who haven't supported their game.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 2:30PM (Unverified) said

I played Champions (the pen and paper RPG) as a kid and loved it. When I heard about Champions Online I got very excited. I took part in the closed beta and have been rooting for the game all along. Sadly, I think it's got too many shortcomings to be worth $15/month. I suppose I could just give up on it and move on, but I'm still rooting for the game to improve. I still keep an eye on it to see what changes and improvements it's receiving. And yeah, sometimes it seems all I do is complain about CO. If I was Cryptic, I'd prefer the complainers over people who just silently cancel and walk away for good.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 9:16PM DrDvorak said

CCon99, they've new content for subscribers, as well. Two seasonal events, a new instance, new quests, a new power set, and updates to the crafting system. This is all since launch 4 months ago, and they've posted on the forums about another update coming early next year.

Coding up free trials aren't the only thing they're doing, in other words.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 1:56PM dudemanjac said

Anyone upset at free weekends to boost population for a game they are playing is being short sighted and petty. Essentially they are whining about cryptic giving away $1.50 worth of service to ppl to entice them into playing a game. If you are playing the game (and like it) you should want as many ppl as possible to get in.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 5:10PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@dudemanjac

Who's whining? People are stating their opinions about a game on a blog thats about games. You are the only one here who is getting all worked up about it. And it seems you often get worked up whenever anyone has the unmitigated gall to say anything bad about CO. I'm starting to think this is a case of "thou doth protest too much". You arent, by any strange chance, motivated to this sort of discourse due to financial reasons, are you?

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 6:41PM dudemanjac said

$200 isn't a big deal to me. Sorry it is for you, but don't try to push your idea of expensive on me. If I felt I had wasted my money, I would say so, write it off and be done with it. Truth is I won't know if i've wasted money until a year from now or I stop having fun. I protest because I would like to see ppl partake in a trial or a free weekend that may help my game survive, instead of rely on the bad opinion of someone who is out. I'm a madman.

And I'm not worked up. I just think it is silly to even bother to follow a game that you don't like. I think it's a little childish to constantly show up and never have anything of substance to say besides, "this game sucks, this company sucks. How dare they try to save themselves!"

Since you seem to be doing such a study on me, you'll notice that most of the time I'm really just showing up to give the other side of the coin. I happen to still enjoy the game. I think it is fun, and I'm not going to let the only voice be that of ppl who played in the first week, wrote it off, but continue to yap about it.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 9:00PM starka1 said

Stating your opinion is fine. Stating your opinion twice is fine. Stating your opinion 3 times is not even that bad. Stating your opinion on every single article, saying the same thing over and over is obsessive. It's like "CO hurt my feelings so I will forever hurt them back in any way possible". It's childish and does no good. I haven't seen you post most so I will give the benefit of the doubt that you do not realize just how much CCon99 and JP post on the subject.

I agree with dudemanjac. We get it. Now it's time for those with nihilistic posting habits to get over it and move on.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 5:41PM (Unverified) said

I tried CO in beta but I didn't buy it for various reasons, figuring I would get a trial from a friend 6 months after launch or so but from my experience the starting zone is a pretty lame trial unless it's been drastically overhauled. The reason the WAR trial works so well is that even though it only lets you play until lvl 10 that is all of T1 RvR which was always busy when I played the game. I don't really see this trial bringing in alot of new people unless they only want to test performance before buying because it doesn't really showcase anything.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 6:48PM dudemanjac said

I think it's silly to only allow the starter area. you can get through it and be done at lvl 4. This actually could even back fire if all ppl get is their starter moves to goof around with. They should let you into the first crisis at least.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 6:09PM (Unverified) said

It's better than nothing, that's what I'll say. I've wanted to get a taste of Champions Online for awhile now, but all of my online friends are largely in the same raiding WoW guild as I am and to entertain the idea of playing another game without the guild members can nearly ostracize you some people's eyes. I tried to get it during the Halloween event via Steam, but I didn't get onto it until Saturday and by the time that it was at 30% updated via the Champion's Client, I just stopped it because it was going to kill most of the weekend's bandwidth (ending any hope of me playing other games online in the meantime) and that weekend trials are absolutely useless.

I jumped for joy when Warhammer did this and if others are hopping on the bandwagon it must be worth it. Maybe now I can download and play it at my own pace, even if it is just a tiny offering of the potential content.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 7:57PM cray said

Getting through the starter area however short of time span should be enough to determine whether a player is interested in paying for a subscription. Which is entirely the point of this trial.

It's not there to provide maximum leveling in the shortest time from, its not there to allow the player achieve everything in the starter area. Its just a trial...a free test drive to see whether you like the game enough to buy it.

Free trials are a good thing for players, so quit finding fault with developers for trying to reach out.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 10:21PM (Unverified) said

I think what current CO players are trying to say is that this demo doesn't give new players the sort of experience one should get from a free trial, not that it doesn't "provide maximum leveling in the shortest time from. [sic]"

The discussion on the official forums might be worth skimming through: