Posted: Dec 21st 2009 8:25PM Dblade said

This was no surprise, to be honest. Best of luck to them in whatever they choose to do next.

Posted: Dec 21st 2009 8:30PM Celestian said

• 1 heart
And yet people still take what Raph says as gospel. Fool me once people!

Posted: Dec 21st 2009 9:41PM Pingles said

It was a neat product with a neat goal that just depended too much on user-content.

I'm a fan of Raph and this project. At least he was trying to do something different.

They mentioned in their e-mail that they are already working on another project and I wish them the best of luck.

Posted: Dec 21st 2009 10:35PM Keen and Graev said

There was no game. I think that's the bottom line. The platform was extremely limited and does resemble something a decade late. Whether or not it was good or not becomes irrelevant.

I hope they create a game now. Raph has plenty of talent and an understanding of the social workings of a mmorpg.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 1:06AM Dblade said

I don't know. IMVU has no game either and yet seems to be doing smashingly well. I agree though, I used to just hang out in the square, and there was nothing. None of the virtual worlds worked well enough to be enticing, and they were all reminiscient of bad 16-bit games.

Not really sure raph has all that good a grasp on the social dynamics of MMOs though. Not after Metaplace.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 2:42AM Miffy said

Yeh I have no idea why he didn't just make SWG Pre CU 2.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 1:01AM Anatidae said

The idea that people could create their own worlds and environments was cool, but there was no point and the actual setting felt very limited in scope.

Like said above, there was no game - no hook. It was sort of a old-graphics version of SecondLife, which is something else I don't really "get" all that much either but seems to have far more of a following.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 1:05AM Anatidae said

Oh, I should say though - it was amazing what they did with the Flash player though. Very elaborate interface. If they end up closing completely, I sort of hope they open source their code. Their base could spawn some seriously high quality Flash based games.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 3:01PM Seraphina Brennan said

Oh yeah, I agree there. When they released the flash embedding capabilities, we ran a story here on the site where we embedded the game into the post. That was a seriously cool post. Amazing to think you could read the news and then, like, interact with that news all on the same page. You could even chat with fellow Massively readers, if you wanted.

I'd certainly like to see that aspect continue.

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014