Posted: Dec 18th 2009 5:13PM Omali said

I was able to get a response back from Wizards of the Coast. They can't give me a complete response on legal issues, but:

"We like where DDO has been going lately and hope it continues to flourish."

So it looks like, if Atari does lose its licensing agreement, then at least Turbine won't have much of an issue simply running their license directly through Hasbro. Of all the reasons for an MMO to shut down, losing their license would be the worst.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 5:18PM (Unverified) said

Is it possible that *someone* is considering creating a CRPG (or MMOG) using D&D 4th Edition (4e)?

Actually, I feel using 4e as the base mechanics for an MMOG would be *very* difficult due to the dependence on squares, positioning and turn sequence. A tactical CRPG, like the old Jagged Alliance series (and similar titles), would be a better fit; unless it was something like Atlantica Online.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 5:22PM Saker said

Having worked for filthy namco for a number of years all I can say is they are definitely without doubt, pure, unadulterated, evil

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 5:31PM (Unverified) said

Not sure who their parent company is but weren't BioWare working on an MMO or at least interested in doing an MMO set in their Neverwinter Nights world? As for the rights to D&D, I think it's about time that Hasbro / WotC took action in the computer gaming world. WotC are changing a lot of the classic D&D settings and I think it is misleading for computer games to attach themselves to the D&D name but not reflect the current game. The way I see it the idea of allowing computer games companies to use the D&D licence is ultimately to drive sales of the traditional pen and paper D&D game, this makes it very confusing now that the 4th ed. of D&D is so different to the last incarnation.

Posted: Dec 19th 2009 9:39AM Cendres said

I think the BioWare thing was rumor. They don't seem all that interested in the DD IP anymore, if they are thinking of another MMO I'd bet it would be Dragon Age now.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 5:40PM CCon99 said

I hope Hasboro and WotC win, the last thing I want to see is Cryptic butchering D&D using their tonka game engine and making D&D "Fun & Action Packed" which is always translated by them into "Boring & Dumbed Down".

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 7:24PM (Unverified) said

I could not agree more, if I ever hear any announcements regarding Cryptic and NWN I am going to punch babies. It seems Atari and lawsuits go hand in hand these days.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 9:27PM oxlar said

Ccon99 said the last thing he wanted to see was D&D butchered. HAHAHA your kidding right? Your about 9 years too late for that one, especially with 4th edition. You couldn't butcher it any more than they themselves already have.

Posted: Dec 21st 2009 10:56PM (Unverified) said

Oxlar strikes nail on head(20), rolls to confirm critical (17), Oxlar deals 3d6 + 5 + 3 (23) points of damage to nail's head.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 6:21PM (Unverified) said

Is it just me, or does Atari seem to be talking out of multiple sides of their mouth?

Fielding two different lawsuits from two different companies can't be good for business.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 6:25PM Lateris said

I agree- I am also hearing verbal gossip how Atari is making STO make their deadline for release which means STO really isn't done the way Cryptic wanted it to be.

Posted: Dec 20th 2009 1:51PM (Unverified) said

Same thing happened with CO. There was no way it was ready for the launch date. Atari pushed it out the door and into a coffen. same thing will happen to STO.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 7:08PM (Unverified) said

It would seem Hasbro is in the right here. They stated that they repeatedly tried to get Atari to cut their licensing of an IP Hasbro owns to a competitor. If it comes to a lawsuit, then I guess Atari brought it on themselves, which is the last thing Atari needs considering they've gone through like 4 CEOs in the last two years.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 7:35PM (Unverified) said

Although I love Champions....I would rather Gouge my own eyes out then ever play their "vision" of D&D. It would be watered down contentless crap. Even though I wasn't fond of some of the mechanics that Turbine uses or left out for D&D they did do a few things right.

The experience inside the instances is definitely of D&D quality. Traps, Puzzles, what type of gear right down to potions, having a proper plan of attack, and the fact everyone gets rewarded instead of the standard limited number of items that most MMO's give out...were some of the best things ever brought into MMOs.

More MMOs need to build dungeons in that fashion. Today's insta grind fest sucks.

Atari honestly sucks..I hope that Turbine and Hasboro both win....and put them in their place. And I pray that Cryptic never makes a D&D game. They don't have a damn clue about group gameplay at all and D&D is all about groups small and big.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 10:03PM (Unverified) said

I appreciate what Cryptic's done for the superhero genre, BUT...

They better STAY THE FUCK AWAY from NeverwinterNights.

I'm not one for volatile responses, but Cryptic touching a game that had such a huge impact on my life warrants some aggression. Please, bring bioware back into the mix. Obsidian also gets my ban-hammer after what they did with NWN 2.

Away demons! AWAY!

Posted: Dec 19th 2009 8:22PM Ninevah said

I agree totally! NWN was great. NWN2 was disappointing at best.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 11:20PM (Unverified) said

I thought Bioware did NWN2. That would explain why that game ended up sucking.

NWN - one of the greatest games ever. The fact that people still play on online servers really should include it in the MMO world that Massive covers. NWN is true DnD. NWN is still one of the top 20 games sold on Amazon.com.

Posted: Dec 19th 2009 1:42AM (Unverified) said

@mpdivo: I think you have it backwards.

I believe that Bioware developed NWN1, Obsidian developed NWN2 and Atari was the publisher of both.

Also, if you think Bioware sucks you might want to check out their latest CRPG, Dragon Age: Origins, and see for yourself.

Posted: Dec 19th 2009 2:07AM (Unverified) said

no, you misunderstand. Bioware is the Steinbech of the video game industry. Every game they produce has 100% more quality than the other companies. DragonAge is pretty friggin amazing. NWN is like I said, one of the best games ever made.

Hats off to Bioware!

Posted: Dec 19th 2009 8:56AM (Unverified) said

If Cryptic even get near the forgotten realms I will have a box of kittens each day killed until they hand it back to a decent developer. CoX was/is decent, but after that, well...

But NWN with modern GFX and a revised 3.5 toolset would rule.

Back on topic though, what is the exact licensing agreement between Atari, Turbine and Codemasters? And would removing Atari affect Europe at all?