Posted: Dec 18th 2009 2:16PM dudes said

What could possibly go wrong?

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 3:18PM ultimateq said

Are you insinuating that free realms isn't a "good" game? Good is subjective, obviously. But why would you consider it bad?

Sure they NGE'd us and revamped the combat and made it a mindless zerg fest, that aside it's the best casual MMO I've ever played. I don't need to commit hours at a time to get anything done, I can log on for 10 minutes and actually accomplish something.

I think the proper term you should have used was "more popular" game. Because admittedly, Free Realms isn't very popular. That is because it gets a bad rap for it's target demographic. "No way, I can't play it, it's marketed toward's teens/tweens!"

I actually believe that Free Realms (Pre-NGE (lol, I just said that)) had a larger adult community than a younger (including children, teens and tweens) community.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 3:10PM Seffrid said

This system has been around for a while with eg EQ2.

It enables SOE to cream off a contribution from the transactions that they otherwise have to spend resources controlling.

SOE do everything for a purpose - making money out of their customers every way they can.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 4:21PM CCon99 said

The gold sellers will always win in the end, they'll just lower their prices and make it more tempting to buy from them. Why buy 1000 gold for $20 when you can buy 3000 gold for $15 from a shady farmer? (example was totally made up)

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 6:38PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

They wont need to. They can farm something REALLY desirable then just charge real money for it. They will even use the same techniques, bots and account stealing.

Their aim is not to sell gold, that is just a side effect, their aim has always been to get real world money from the game. This just makes it easier and more legal for them to do this.

Mind you, it does open up one thing for all, you need to declare any money made in this game to your taxation department.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 11:08PM (Unverified) said

I've wondered about the tax ramifications are of this sort of thing too. Obviously it was just a matter of time before companies start incorporating RMT for gold and encouraging making a profit at it. But yes, it then become declarable/taxable income. Will Sony and others open their users' account information to the IRS?

Posted: Dec 19th 2009 2:15PM wjowski said