Posted: Dec 18th 2009 12:10PM Aetrix said

"If all of this hasn't yet enticed you into the game through one of the more popular digital distributors out there, well, we don't know what it will take. Maybe even more hats"

Compelling gameplay would be a good start.

Posted: Dec 21st 2009 12:09PM (Unverified) said

Heaven forbid!

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 3:51PM Miffy said

Yeh and good graphics that don't remind me of the 90's

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 12:30PM (Unverified) said

I agree. I bought this game on sale for $25 from steam last month. I will not be renewing my subscription. While I like the post apoc feel and the open character classlessness, the game game is seriously lacking. I will be back in 6 months and give it another shake :-)

I am hoping Global Agenda is decent when released.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 12:50PM (Unverified) said

I'd have to agree with the sentiments here also.
Whilst there's much about FE that I like, the major pillars of gameplay are simply too wobbly.

From the hilarious strafing animations, to the terrible pathing and NPC ai; the mindless and clunky click-click-click combat, the awful first-person animation glitches for your weapons and their textures, and everything's 'Post-Apoc-Obligatory-Brown'... these things overshadow what is otherwise a great crafting system and a wonderful feeling of 'being out in the vast unknown making your own way'.

The lore and quest dialogues are great, and the feeling of 'being somewhere' is conveyed well with mounts that stay put and require feeding/fuel, and an overall sense of humans starting over with little in the way of resources.

It's a shame, because were the combat less amateur-ish, clunky, and more involved, I could see myself growing to enjoy playing in the scenario they've created. And with not much else to do (per-say) outside of crafting, combat needs to be tight.

As with others, I'll return one day in the future maybe.
It's a real shame it wasn't kept in the oven just a wee bit longer.. :S

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 1:32PM Strumiker said

Maybe I'm missing something about the click-click-click combat, but you can just hold down the mouse buttons (left and right for dual wielding) and they auto attack when they can.

Myself and a few friends are glad the game feels the way it does, has alot of room to improve, but it is a wonderful detachment from the standard mmo right now. I'm sure I'll get bored - but that happens to me in every game :P Till then, I'm glad to support an company that hasn't been taken over by EA, Blizzard, or Sony :)

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 1:54PM (Unverified) said

I agree with you on the Indie front, Strumiker. I'm all for supporting content that doesn't come from a large corporation - but I'm also not willing to do so at the expense of quality.

Sorry for the ambiguous combat analogy; what I meant was that, all you do is equip an item and go bash something over the head while standing 1 foot away from them (melee), or stand further away and unload a clip on them (ranged).
There's no strategy or skill required - it's just a Mexican Standoff every time, with attrition winning out.
Sure there's a few 'combat skills' but they're either on a ridiculous CD or they have little effect on the core combat mechanic of 'stand there while you wear the enemy down to zero'.

Additionally, it's not the best aggro system - you can kill an NPC while three of his mates within a 5-foot radius continue to ponder their navels.

It's just too shallow; were the combat system more involved and if it required more strategy than just point'n'shoot, I'd be having 100% more of a great time.
As it stands, I can't see the other wonderful things about the game being enough to keep me playing. If the core combat and encounters had more depth, it's be an absolute gem of a game with all the other supporting gameplay mechanics being so wonderful.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 1:33PM pcgneurotic said

Well I jumped on the free trial, I've been dying to try it out for ages. I've only finished the tutorial, but I'm already enjoying it immensely just for being totally different from any other MMOG I've played. It's got that STALKER vibe, with the cool Planetside FPS motion too. Can't wait to get further into the game and see how it pans out!

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 3:03PM HiGHPLAiNS said

FE is a very niche game to many, it may not be a Triple A mmorpg like Aion, CO, WoW and many others that need 250k+ subscriptions to pull a profit, but has the CCP indy type feeling to me and community is one of the best I have seen next to indy title Ryzom and even the Triple A mmorpg, LotRO.

On top of everything else, I love it because we got 1 server with many shards within one server. There is nothing worse than having 50 to 100+ servers only to be merged as years go by and losing contact with your online friends.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 8:49PM (Unverified) said

highplains has it spot on - Im glad you whiny folk dont like it, this game isnt designed for you WoW players,. It has its own ideas, own game play and doesnt make exceptions. Games like Fallen Earth and Darkfall should be embraced for their own change of pace and direction, sure it aint for everyone but the more mature player will respect what they are trying and successfully pulling off here. Its a very immersive MMO and at present is keeping me away from WoW

Posted: Dec 19th 2009 12:53AM (Unverified) said

lol
Wait so - you're accusing us of being 'you WoW players', but you're freely admitting to being one of them yourself?
LogicFTW.

I'm not 'whiny'. I mention a number of things about FE that are fantastic, and I'd love to be able to enjoy the game more if it weren't for the flaws I mentioned.

Sadly, a rabid, one-eyed, biased and frothing fanboy such as yourself, is the *last* thing FE needs to add to it's image.. folk like you scare off potential subscribers - especially in game where you tell anyone with questions or comments to 'go back to wow'.
I'm sure the employees at Icarus Studios really love you telling ppl to gtfo..

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM