Posted: Dec 17th 2009 10:32PM dudemanjac said

How much difference will there be between the different versions of the same ship? Are we looking at additional weapon slots? Stronger base armor or weapon power? Will the models be different at all or have more customization options? Is there going to be Klingon vs Klingon warfare?

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 10:53PM dudemanjac said

Oh yeah. If the Klingon ships are going to have more forward facing guns, does that mean that they are going to have smaller firing arcs than the Fed ships? And if so, how will you balance that? Will the forward cannons be more powerful? Will the Klingon ships have better turn radii or be faster?

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 10:53PM dudemanjac said

Ok. Sorry. I keep thinking of stuff. The cloaking. If I'm not mistaken, when a ship is cloaked, its shields are down. Once a ship comes out of cloak, how long before the shields are up? And how much time after cloak is down before a ship can fire?

I would imagine the plan would be for a ship to come up behind the Fed and let loose with the biggest stuff you have. How vulnerable will Fed ships be?

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 10:57PM Scarecrowe said

I think the thread where you're supposed to ask those questions is linked in the article.

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 11:23PM Keen and Graev said

I want to know why they screwed up the game by making Klingons nothing more than a glorified "Monster play" ala LOTRO.

Why not make them a full fledged faction like the Federation?

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 6:13AM Snichy said

I agree but.... "screwed up the game"?! No.

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 11:28PM dudemanjac said

I'm a tool. I didn't even bother to read the article. Just assumed it was gonna be like the other ones they've done.Well excuse me. I have some copy and pasting to do.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 1:46AM Lionhearted said

I can't help but ask a few questions.

1. How important and/or relevant will Klingon ground combat be? Without mission episodes, will there be anything that necessitates Klingons doing ground pvp?

2. When will there be some Klingon gameplay footage showing the gist of Klingon space combat? (This would be an awesome time LOL.)

3. Do you expect Klingon and Federation pvp to be generally balanced, or will one side be able to have an upper hand? Will there be any mechanism in the game to help even out the odds if and when imbalances occur?

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 2:04AM Lionhearted said

Oops. Well, I'm glad I was able to click copy and paste anyway ;)

Perhaps the real question I should have asked is.... why the frack are the Klingons so skinny? They don't look like warriors... they look like track runners in skinny jeans with deformed foreheads...

They should be larger and bulkier. I hope their "total costumization" alllows people to fix that...

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 4:44AM Renko said

How long will we have to wait for Klingon full PVE to be patched/expansioned in. Face it, it's when, not if.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 4:52AM Renko said

An unrealistic launch schedule due to financial constraints is the obvious answer and in the current economic climate I think that's understandable.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 4:53AM Renko said

Damn, my second post was meant as a reply to Keen's question.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 7:07AM MrGutts said

• 1 heart
So basically it's another gimmick type of pvp for the game. You must go here, and then join this, in order to "pvp". Like some B.S. arena play they did in CO.

No open zones for pvp?

It's just like Lotro's monster play, this is your little box pvp'ers. Now go play in it.

This is another let down by Cryptic.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 7:08AM (Unverified) said

What are you talking about?

"War Zone maps are static maps that are always open for players to join. Both factions may enter this map, which has Open Mission-style PvE objectives to achieve, with the twist that members of opposing factions can hinder each other's progress via PvP."

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 7:15AM CCon99 said

Static Maps are what is really needed to make a Faction that only levels off of PvP work. Sadly from reading the interview about PvP they said the biggest PvP action will only be 10v10.

10v10 is anything but MASSIVE.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 9:10AM (Unverified) said

ccon99....um what? you can create INSTANCES with 10v10, thats a pvp mode, but there are open maps (neutral zone) where it is open world pvp....i highly doubt the pop. cap on the neutral zone is 10.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 10:47AM CCon99 said

Go read the interview they did on PvP 2 weeks ago, sorry I don't have the link to it off the top of my head and I can't comment on anything beyond the released information. They've clearly said that the biggest offering for PvP they will have is 10v10 because that's what their "research" told them is the "optimal" size for PvPing.

But let's say you're right and the Dev interviewed had no idea what they were talking about, was mistaken, and the 10v10 comment wasn't including the static warzone areas. STO instances only allow 30 people per instance anyway, meaning at the most you'll get 15v15. Still not Massive by any means since non-MMO games like Battlefield series, Modern Warfare 2 and MAG allow for far bigger fights.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 7:10AM CCon99 said

It's times like this where I miss JP. =(

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 9:03AM Aganazer said

yeah, my blood pressure is feeling a little low this morning. I could use a good JP posting. :P

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 9:52AM dudemanjac said

Can someone explain to me what "monster play" is? I keep hearing it thrown around but don't know how it relates. It's evtremely simple. They wanted Klingons to be something very different from Fed. Unless someone has the inside scoop or it's been posted somewhere that I've missed, I'm not going to accuse Cryptic of trying to get away with something by making Klingons pvp only. I actually think itis a good idea. I wouldn't mind if you had the choice, but as it is, if this is their vision, I'm willing to give it a go before stomping on it.

I am curious about how the transition is made and how pop will be balanced. What happens when I hit the unlock lvl? Do I make another character and the old character goes away or do I now have two characters that I can go back and forth between?

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM