Posted: Dec 18th 2009 5:18AM (Unverified) said

"why dont priest see dead people

Why can't a mage inscribe hidden runes on walls to leave messages for other mages? Read unknown languages? Speak other languages other than your own dialect? "

thank you!!! classes should be difference and reflect the soul of what theyre about.

i play a rogue class in every game, hey even in cod:mw2 i go silencer and cold blooded etc..The stealth and choice of correct time to strike coupled with access to routes in the game that arnt route one approach, to finish a quest, adds more depth.
WoW has got a poor rogue class, but then most classes now (they didnt use to) blend into one and dont offer enough unique or defining play styles or ability's.

Different games have different ways of doing things, but bring back the class differences and unique offerings!

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 8:13AM Sabbatai said

It seems the only mistake Seraphina made in this article was to mention WoW. You can't make a point about any aspect of WoW without the discussion turning into one about the pros and cons of WoW without regard to your point.

Anyway I think this article points out the very reason why I always seem to come out of an MMO experience with an empty feeling. There is no "role" for me to play other than that of "character number X in party Y".

I tried DDO when it first came out for about a week and it just wasn't for me. What I noticed in the first 2-3 days of play was that who I was and what I could do actually made a difference, albeit a minor one.

I don't expect an MMO to cater to me in terms of solo play. I would however, definitely like to see more distinction between classes and roles.

I don't mind being just another person in the grand scheme... but maybe on a more minor scale being able to do something a little outside the box would be fun.

I especially like the idea Seraphina mentioned about mages conversing with other creatures or leaving runes or glyphs that other mages could read. Something like this would be great fun and I don't see it unbalancing the game for players of other classes... it just gives the mages their own little flavor and makes them feel like part of something outside of the group/guild thus adding to the immersion and the feeling of a "world".

Maybe this is only important to roleplayers or people like me who prefer to role play while PVPing. I think we are in the minority in regards to the customer base for many of the MMOs on the market today.

Hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 10:53AM lizardbones said

** These comments are for WoW specifically and have nothing to do with any other game out there **

Can you imagine the complaining you'd see if Blizzard implemented something that tuned a dungeon to groups specifically for rogues? Their devs have to tank all the forum trolls for changes that seem to balance things out for everyone...there would probably be a march on California for a rogue tuned dungeon.

Then again, tune a dungeon for whatever mix of classes you have, and if it speeds things up, people will be happy. If you slow things down...well...instances are badge and gear dispensers. They really aren't meant to be hour long adventures. Really. I think at some point the idea was that instances were mini adventures in themselves, but the playerbase seems to prefer "running" instances...and for now I agree. It seems more fun to have fast dynamic interaction than slow dynamic interaction.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 3:28PM (Unverified) said

It's not just rogues: a mage should also be more than a fireball thrower, a priest more than a healer and a Ranger/Hunter more than an archer.

It's a general problem with those combat-centric MMOs nowadays. When fighting is the only thing to do then every class becomes a fighter in some way.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 8:25PM chuckasucka said

This speaks directly to my heart. I love passive or non combat abilities. You could even group them up as utility spells/abilities.

They really add to my enjoyment of existing in an mmo.

Posted: Dec 21st 2009 11:40PM (Unverified) said

Ever since Ghostcrawler took over the lead game mechanic designs role, MMO's have been more and more deluded. And therefor the genre has done the same. Essentially there is four classes. Tank, Healer, Melee DPS, Ranged DPS. Even with WoW's spec tree's, you're tied to one of those four archetypes at all times. Gaming is devolving, into mindless, soccer mom, wiiware.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 2:10PM (Unverified) said

I think the reason you can have classes mean a bit more in DDO versus in WoW is the ability to multi-class in DDO. In WoW, you can only be one class and are limited to the abilities in the one class you choose.

If utility skills were separated from class skills, this would be one way to approach it. So that any class might be able to hone certain utility skills that were outside their class. So for example if you wanted to be a pure tanking class, all your class AND utility skills would be warrior-tank skills, but if you wanted to play more like a mercenary for hire, then you might take warrior class skills, but some rogue utility skills and be more of a DPS warrior that could also disarm traps and pick locks at the expense of warrior utility skills like threat generation or shield use. Or you could be a pure rogue with all rogue class and utility skills that would make more of a thief/assassin than a brute who can pick locks.

This would allow for more character customization and more role-playing, but the devs could design the game mechanics around the utility skills that everyone has access to depending on the choices they make about their character. Therefore an instance with lots of traps, wouldn't necessarily require a rogue, but someone who has honed their trap skills and an instance that has magic-activated devices wouldn't necessarily require a mage but someone who has honed utility skills that allow them to use/create magical devices, for example.

Then if you needed certain skills, you would look for players who had those skills for your group, not for certain classes, and you could even respec your character to have the skills for the dungeons you want to focus on for a while and be in demand for other people's groups.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny