Posted: Dec 18th 2009 9:35AM (Unverified) said

If corps aren't accepting 2-3 month old members, they are probably worried they are alts of their ingame enemies (ie, spies). You can be shooting miners in lowsec within a week of starting EvE (train for webs, scramblers, MWD. Fit them to the midslots of a rifter. Add guns in high slots. Armor repairer, cap mod, resist mod in low. Run away from anything bigger than you.).

My corp is made up of 5 year old veterans, and we fly around lowsec in t1 cruisers regularly, killing more than we lose. And many fleets *need* people in frigates to catch the enemy, a job you can do as well as a many year veteran.

I suggest you either join a Factional Warfare side (Minmater is good), or look for a eve forum called 'Scrapheap Challenge'. They have corps called 'Red' and 'Blue' which accept anyone. The two corps are always at war. Welcome to PvP. Eve University is another good corporation to join.

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 3:56PM shipwreck said

Don't forget that LotRO has revamped (and is still revamping) it's lowbie areas so that they are more streamlined and friendly.

IMO it sacrifices some character for convenience in some areas but the simple fact that they are rethinking and changing these areas for the ease of newcomers says a lot about the care they put into the game.

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 4:10AM Telwyn said

I agree with other posters that I've found LOTRO to be surprising new-player friendly. I'm up to 26th so far on my main and haven't had many problems with group quests or instances. I'm in a guild now which helps but even before that if people are in the area they seem almost always willing to group up to help. Lots of very polite players as well compared to the market leader!

The Top-heavy issue is a problem in some games due to their setup. In DDO for instance at least in Europe the player population is so top heavy that you rarely see any groups for lower level instances. In that game there's nothing else to do so you're often stuck. At least in LOTRO you can always do solo quests or work on your professions with one eye on the LFM window...

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 7:15AM Tom in VA said

I have stated this elsewhere but I will say it again here.

I think MMOs need to evolve over time to handle this issue. With each new expansion, I think MMOs such as WoW, LotRO and others need to gradually "solofy" their older content.

For example, in WoW, I wish they'd provide henchmen/NPCs (a la Guild Wars) to allow players to make their way through the Old Azeroth and Burning Crusade instances on their own. In other words, older (and less-populated) group content should be transformed into an essentially single-player-accessible game.

I think LotRO is making some headway in this direction (too little and too late, as far as I'm concerned, but still I am glad they are trying), and WoW's new group finder tool may help alleviate the problem as well. But, for my money, I'd rather have an NPC team in many if not most cases. My attitude toward most WoW and LotRO dungeons was that they were not worth the hassle of finding the right time and the right group to complete them.

Had an NPC/hero team been available, I would have had a lot more fun in these games and have continued to subscribe to them. Oh well.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2009 6:50AM (Unverified) said

Warcraft has "solofied" a lot of its content, either via the talent revamps in 3.0.2 or just by downgrading the quests. Since TBC, a lot of quests have gone from Group/Elite to solo/Group respectively, or just straight to solo. The current dungeons suffer from pre-TBC's poor itemisation, back when Blizzard were still deciding on what each class needs. What doesn't make sense to me, however, is how some pieces last for absolutely ages. I had a ring on my paladin from SFK until almost Outland, simply because it was so good.

Cataclysm is 2010 so this won't be an issue too long, but it's one that really needs to be looked at.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM