Posted: Dec 16th 2009 6:15PM (Unverified) said

Tateru, I need to be the first in on this one. I'd planned to do my monthly road-trip to the continent, but I don't think there are any roads!

First impression: kudos to Malvina Reynolds. From her "Little Boxes":

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
All went to the university,
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and lawyers,
And business executives,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 9:41PM (Unverified) said

Ha. I did a little music video on the free home program last week using Little Boxe: http://vimeo.com/8004521

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 6:18PM (Unverified) said

Just received the email invite to beta-own one and the selection process is handled well - a web interface that lets you preview and select which sim and which house-style you would like.

Unfortunately the houses themselves are all pretty awful and of no interest to me, even as a curious beta-tester so I logged out again. I applaud the initiative, I've thought SL needed something like this for a long time, but when the houses themselves are a bit awful and un-modifiable it's slightly disappointing.

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 7:23PM (Unverified) said

So jokaydia managed to score a little box of our very own!... and erm... im bored already! ;) http://www.flickr.com/photos/jokay/4190608083/

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 7:47PM (Unverified) said

I think the "hobbit hole" style house is pretty cute, and if I saw it as a prefab for sale I'd probably buy one. Not sure I'm interested in living in a sim full of identical prefabs scattered like someone dropped a bag of marbles, though.

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 8:44PM (Unverified) said

The Japanese themed houses are very well made, and are definitely my favorite of the bunch. They are also the only area that actually had paths/walkways among the houses, and likewise the only area that felt to me like an actual neighborhood, rather than a jigsaw puzzle of houses.

Mind you, the other areas are not awful, but they feel very artificial, especially the modern one. The modern and cabin area need big trees to break up the monotony, like the fantasy area has. It's a pity SL doesn't support megaprims.

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 8:45PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Imagine the lag as each of those x many residents per sim puts their two or three doggy style sex balls and maybe a Gorean slave kennel on each scattered property. All those scripts!

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 8:55PM (Unverified) said

This is a good concept, overall, and I think it will have some success. Of the areas offered at this time, only the Elderglen (Fairies) area has any appeal. Some of the locations are really prime spaces and the builds are surprisingly good. I can see this becoming more of a community, too, as there are added benefits beyond housing, as I blogged for the Lucky Kitty Crew http://luckykittycrew.blogspot.com/2009/12/elderglen-freebies-from-lab.html

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 9:25PM (Unverified) said

I got a treehouse in Pixy and I have a little garden space which is just enough and I like it.

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 10:13PM (Unverified) said

This suburbanization of the metaverse totally depresses me. Guess I am not the right demographic. Now, an urban center with tall co-ops and condominiums and a 24-hour corner deli - that I might find appealing.

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 11:14AM (Unverified) said

DustyArtaud, not sure why you mention "the metaverse" when this one is a very limited project with a specific target (new users on Premium Account that don't need/like/want to create).

Second Life has 30,000 regions - most of them are different than these ones. I'm sorry such a small section of the SL metaverse could depress you!
:P

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 11:07PM (Unverified) said

At first I thought WTF....

... but then I remembered my days of having a first land. Back then, when we each got our own lil 512, in some random sim on the mainland, we felt like a neighborhood. I knew my neighbors. I felt like when I left my house and my neighborhood, I was "out exploring the world".

Perhaps this concept is bringing back the "first land" feel, but with an overlay of simple developed land and structures. Personally, I don't want a plot or need a plot.... but , if you haven't got a home, or a neighborhood to call home in SL, why not consider one a these Nascera spots?

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 5:37AM (Unverified) said

Been visiting the regions yesterday and I must say the houses are not that well made. I was expecting way better with for instances some shadow baking and stuff.

Also dissapointing is the lack of terraforming. there are no hills, no slopes, no waterways. just uninteresting flat land. Further, the density of the houses is way to high, leaving no room for views whatsoever.

When I visited I got a FPS rating of 7 and I was the only avatar. Emagine what FPS will be whith 20 avatars!

Anyway, overall I think it is s nice plan but needs to be tweaked a lot.

Ami

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 11:14AM (Unverified) said

Amiryu, I was a bit disappointed too. I think Linden Homes are decent and they also feature some very good elements - I saw some sculpted prims with baked textures - but nothing amazing, and I also definitively saw some low/medium quality thing (windows and statues made with not-so-great alpha textures).

About the terraform, that's temporary: they used a scripted rezzer to place buildings that is very efficient, but it also had issues with hills and mountains. So right now the land is flat but they're going to improve the landscape in the future.

WIth regard to lag, I can't confirm your report - I had average/high performances when visiting these regions, definitively much more than 7 FPS.

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 6:35AM (Unverified) said

117 prim allocation? That's my chair sorted then. I think I'll pass.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 7:14AM (Unverified) said

You need a better chair then.

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 8:31AM (Unverified) said

@botgirlq--twisted minds run in the same track.

I'm going to profile that wonderful video on my blog! Great work...

Iggy

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 10:31AM (Unverified) said

1) Nascera is victory in arabic
2) for example in th Calif style, certain houses are separated by 4 meters windows to windows
3) I don't like that the region and the place in the region cannot be chosen by the Premium holder! LL = lotto!

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 11:36AM (Unverified) said

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that not all houses are actually separated and out of local chat range.

That can be seen in the left-bottom corner of the first photo - "California Modern" area - where it looks you have 4 adjacent houses.

I made this point to Michael Linden yesterday during his Office Hour and it looks like this could be an issue for that kind of Linden Homes.

One can limit voice to her parcel, but you cannot limit local chat.

-----------

by the way, why Massively comment always need a confirmation even when you're a member? ;0

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 3:09PM (Unverified) said

except for the lack of roads, these are more pleasing to the eye than most SL neighborhoods.

I would much rather rent land though.

I will not be doing much of either until SL figures out how to use VISA gift cards.
...which btw, you think they would be working hard on. That is a lot of money they could be earning.
| 1 | 2 |

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM