Posted: Dec 15th 2009 4:31PM (Unverified) said

The double xp does not apply to quest turn-ins, though.

Also, they've lowered Soul Healing costs and raised the Energy of Repose (rest xp) bonus for levels 20-44.

Many people in our community feel its a good start, but have qualms over the levels 2x XP covers. There's a pretty hefty debate going on at AionSource right now and a poll to help tell NC exactly what you're feeling about this announcement.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 4:33PM Keen and Graev said

How about bonus exp years?

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 4:47PM Mad Dog said

To late, most people who dont like to kill mobs over and over have left. Better luck next time ncsoft.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 5:05PM Barinthos said

Exactly. Too little too late, if they're willing to provide this kind of "change" then it's more than obvious they know their game is a grind fest which means they're going to continually lose people.

I've played to level 18, but anything after that was painfully slow due to a complete lack of solo, or even duo-able quests.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 5:22PM (Unverified) said

i'm also in the "too little, too late" category. the game is beautiful and quite fun for the first 20 levels, but it fails to be fun after that. though i tried on 2 toons to hit 30, i never could, though i came pretty close both times. i just got way too bored of killing the exact same creature over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. or doing the sole dungeon i could do over and over and over and over and over and over again. there's not enough content to make the game fun.

just take a look at their own server stats: http://na.aiononline.com/livestatus/server/

no server has more than 3% of its population over level 45. the numbers plummet after level 30. the game has been out long enough that, were it a fun game, there would be a much higher percentage of people playing the endgame.

i would love to come back to the game. it really is beautiful to play, but it sounds like it's still not fun.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 6:03PM Ivasen said

I think the grind needs to be taken down a little bit too...
but you need to stop the "too little too late" whining.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 5:01PM Distaste said

Yeah I'm sure this will help. 1-35 was SUCH a grind but 36-50 was smooth sailing! It didn't get worse at all! Forget the fact that the XP needed for 36-50 is 13x whats needed from 1-35 or that at 45 each level requires more XP than from 1-35. CLEARLY 1-35 is what needed the XP Boost.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 5:15PM (Unverified) said

Even Double the grind is still a terrible grind. This game was about as immersive as a fish out of water. Its not the duration that is bad, it is the mind numbingness of what your doing to have 'fun' that makes it bad.
And after you cap out the real grind begins.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 5:20PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
You're missing the point of this. The majority of the player base is 35 or below. You can see this by looking at server statistics. By increasing their XP, they can join the medium player base at around the 35 area who then have more people to do group quests with, who can then level beyond 35 to get to end game content.

20-44 still get a bigger rest xp bonus and is still faster than previously.

And honestly, if you only made it to level 18 in Aion, you completely fail at MMOs or you've been too spoon fed by that other MMO. There are plenty of quests and content through 35 and if you'd -try- and group with another player or 3, you'd have no problem completing the Verteron campaign quests and getting past 20-25. Even if you grind it, it's not bad.

35+ requires more grouping than the levels before it in order to complete quests but it's a social multiplayer game, why is that so unexpected?

Finally, these are short term plans to help the new players gained through the holidays and other players who are finding themselves stuck to catch up quickly and join players in fortress sieges, mid-level group quests and instancing.

Long term changes, added content, curve relief, etc take time to develop and will be added next year, as the comment also says.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 5:28PM Barinthos said

"Only made it to 18" is not the same as "Could only stand to play until 18". I've played my fare share of grind fest MMOs to know I don't like it. Lineage 2 and FFXI being two of them.

After watching the trailer for the Aion "2.0" and news of tons of more quests being added to the game may rekindle my interest in playing it. But I play MMOs mostly for the enjoyment of the quests and exploring the locales. Not farming mobs and getting phat lewt to pwn noobs.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 5:57PM (Unverified) said

I think I find myself in that too little too late bucket. After I hit the level cap 50 with no way to help my wife or guildies exp up, we experienced member atrophy. I left about half way through our guild exodus.

We all went back to WAR and despite any faults are having a ton of fun, relative to the blandness of Aion. Right now really enjoying moonlighting with the sleeper hit (IMO) of Fallen Earth, the first MMO in a long time to harken back to the days of Asherons Call, Darktide.

Double EXP on weekends just means that for folks to catch up to peers, they won't be able to devote a few hours a night and will have to front load the weekends with boring play time in order to catch up. After a week's work, not exactly my idea of relaxation or fun.

Also the end game is fundamentally flawed for PvP compared to other offerings on the market. Its soulless and definitely talentless in large scale combat. To find small scale fights you spend far more time trying to find the fights than actually fighting. Not to mention the PvE grindfest in order to be competitive.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 6:26PM Ivasen said

• 1 heart
You're free to not play and give your opinion about it not being the type of game that you would play to have "fun".

Fun is very subjective and hard to implement for everyone, as they said that it was grind to make the game more accessible and "easy".

But to get on a Forum or site somewhere and simple say "Too little too late, I'm gonna die tomorrow and they aren't going to get another chance to get my subscription".
Why don't you instead support the rest of the community that wishes to reduce the grind?

Exert some self-control, support the community and the higher on the priority list it will be.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 7:22PM (Unverified) said

I feel I did support the community with my wallet. I also feel that buzz from external sources and the macro MMO community will support change more so than posting on a niche forum We are lucky enough to have choices in the games we play. I, believe I am not exceptional in any regard, thus my impressions may resonate with others and potentially save them a buck or two.

I see a comment on a post and, if I find it interesting, I gather my own Data to either substantiate that opinion or not. I believe informed consumers with a breadth of perspective may in fact support the MMO community on the macro level more.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 9:35PM Ivasen said

I understand your argument and I respect it Nation.

Just don't say it's too late, the world isn't ending and there isn't one thing in this world that can't change your mind.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 10:09PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

With those comments describing the purpose of the changes along with your defense of the high level activities... you sound like you work for NC Soft. ;)

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 2:49AM (Unverified) said

"The majority of the player base is 35 or below"

And if the Live Status server stats includes characters on inactive accounts, then its likely to remain that way forever. I know the level 30 on my dead account wont be levelling anytime soon.....

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 5:31PM (Unverified) said

Too bad they can't just make the lower levels more fun.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 6:24PM HadesLotD said

I might be wrong but I did a quick glance of the level breakdowns on the servers, and I didn't find a single server where the population had more than 50% of its players above that 10-20 range. There seems to be a good 60-65% of the playerbase is still between levels 10-20, and 4 months after release that's pretty bad.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 6:40PM Ivasen said

• 1 heart
Well, you see all of this complaining about the leveling grind being too large?
Keep in mind that most people have alts.

Now when you combine those two, it makes sense.

Long time to level one character to 50 / 6 character alts per account = Imbalanced statistics.

A lot of other online databases do not show characters level 1-5 or 1-10, Aion does.

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 6:42PM Ivasen said

Edit: 10-20.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM