Posted: Dec 13th 2009 10:31AM toychristopher said

In a way it is kind of sad if you can make more money in game if you worked for an hour for minimum wage and used that money to purchase in game currency than by actually playing the game for an hour.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 10:45AM (Unverified) said

I'd like to make a request to the staff of Massively. Could you do an article sometime of your favorite mmo blogs? I get the majority of my MMO news and opinion posts from two primary places: Massively and MMORPG.com, with an honorable mention to Crazykinux (my main MMO is EvE). it'd be nice to know some other websites and blogs to visit when news on my favorite MMO's is slow. I know this may be a bit of helping the competition, but if progressive can do it so can you :)

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 11:22AM Agar said

Buying gold online is the same as supporting hackers and spammers. There is nothing worst for a game community. I support Guild Wars model where money arent that important. By just moving in the storyline you get all that you need. Btw nice treasure ;)

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 11:45AM Pingles said

I disagree wholeheartedly with the principle of the article.

The idea is not how to get the most in-game cash.
The idea is how to get the most cash in-game!

I pride myself in having a giant stash of Gold in many games EACH of which was done within the game's mechanics.

As far as I'm concerned buying gold is the same as using a hack to increase your toons hitpoints.

The article can be summarized: "if you actually spend the time to make your cash legitimately you're not being "smart"". Thanks, I'll play "dumb".

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 1:23PM Meagen said

The most effective way of getting lots of sports trophies is to pay someone to break the legs of all your competitors before the game. That way you don't have to waste time on all that "training" junk and you get more trophies than anyone else, which is what sport is about.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 2:06PM Dblade said

However, if you need 15 sports trophies to get into college, and you hate sports, but love college, leg breaking looks more appealing.

What many people don't get is that virtual money is not an end in itself for the majority of people, but a gating tool to slow your access to the fun stuff, be it pvp or raiding, or even sometimes just plain old partying.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 10:53PM (Unverified) said

The journey, not the destination, is why we most frequently play.

We can talk in terms of destination all we want, but let's not forget the journey is largely more important.

Being most efficient and striving for stuff fast and furious is fine. I equate it to min/max. But not everyone min/maxes, and not everyone has to.

The truth is no one ever has to min/max to have fun. If you do, great, enjoy, but what I see more and more players doing is turning into min/maxers and it is not necessary for one to have fun.

I could spend $2,000.00US in RoM in one week, create a level 3 2-H sword, and spend 5 months upgrading it to uber awesomeness, and have fun. That fun is just as legitimate as fun people have from min/maxing based on a few in-game rules devs set up.

Just existing in the game and doing whatever you want can be loads of fun. We don't need/have to fixate on a level cap, the strongest weapon, and think that is where the fun lies-" If only I can reach that as fast as possible suddenly fun will rain out of the sky on me".

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 4:34PM madbassman39 said

I prefer to earn everything in game instead of buying it, but at the same time I could care less what everybody else does in game. If they buy their gold thats fine, I'm going to continue playing the game the way I like to play it. I feel the same way about items and item stores, so what if person X buys their armor and weapons, I'm going to earn mine through the game because thats what I like to do and what person X does, doesn't affect me directly.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 7:03PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

What this article fails to really discuss is how a lot of gold you can buy is obtained. Sure there are bots and whatnot doing the circuits but there is also a large amount from hacked accounts.

People who stupidly fall for some free mount spam or who visit a game blog (to get a 0 day flash virus) only to log in the following day to find their accounts stripped, everything sold and in some cases their toons deleted.

Want to buy gold? Then please keep in mind that one of you guildies may have been virtually robbed to provide you with the cheater's way out

Posted: Dec 14th 2009 10:26AM (Unverified) said

Maybe an important question is - is it even possible to "legitimately" earn your gold these days? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely not advocating buying gold online, but consider:

To make your gold, you go out and kill monsters. One of them drops an awesome item, which you rush to the Auction House to sell.

Now, in a "normal" environment, you would make (say) 200 gold. But since RMT exists in this world, some player who just bought 1500 gold for $12 buys your item, bidding 1000 gold. You make 1000 gold, and congratulate yourself on "earning" it legitimately. But the process was still ultimately tainted upward by the RMT.

Short of vendor-trashing all items and only collecting the paltry coins the average mob drops (or the why-am-I-working-minimum-wage-in-WoW daily repeatable quests) - how do we define "legitimate" earning of gold, as opposed to "RMT influenced" earning of gold?

Posted: Dec 14th 2009 6:20PM (Unverified) said

I hate the idea of spending more real money to buy virtual goods when I already pay a monthly fee as I do in WoW or LOTRO. My limited data on the subject suggests that I have more gold in both games than the average bear - and I enjoy getting it. In WoW my main has just less than 19k. It all comes from alchemy and fishing. I enjoy doing those things when I am watching a movie, reading an article on the other monitor, or am just too tired and distracted to do an instance. It’s fun! It has kept me in the game when I am sick of leveling. Playing the AH is part of the fun. Why take that away by paying someone else to have my fun for me?

Gold is easy to come by. Go out and enjoy stuffing your coffers.