Posted: Dec 13th 2009 5:48PM (Unverified) said

Ah, but returned to whose inventory? I sell sculpties, and one of my sculpty sets is used to make beds. Many, many bed makers forget to make their beds in such a way that their name is on the beds as creator, rather than mine. So when their customers have problems, they contact me. If these beds are returned, will I receive them all, or will the buyer get them back? Either way, I get the feeling I shall hear from a lot of people...

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 9:02PM (Unverified) said

Object returns are always to the object owner, regardless of the creator. Nothing else makes much sense.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 9:04PM (Unverified) said

Oh, good. Then I'll just get the questions when they see my name on the whatever-it-is as the creator. Sigh.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 9:13PM (Unverified) said

Story of our lives. People should learn to RTFNC. (Read The Flipping NoteCard)

Regardless, this is going to be good news for me - I've tended towards minimising script use in my products, so this should put me in the front seat when it goes gridwide in terms of not getting stuff like this fielded.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 9:19PM (Unverified) said

I'm glad that where I've needed scripts I've bought them from legitimate sources. If I'd DIY'ed them I'd be more than a bit nervous. And a month or two of SL mayhem is always exciting.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 9:17PM (Unverified) said

Some additional information is available here, condensed from Office Hours with Babbage Linden: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Becky_Pippen/Memory_Limits_FAQ

Posted: Dec 14th 2009 11:14AM (Unverified) said

I applause this method. LL need to do something to "control" some of the script "loop" issue. As u say Mono has taken SL grid into a new step (script) but when people abuse on programming servers can lacks. But there isn't a rule without a consequence and if there is tons of scripted objects returned to owners there will be tons of complaints and tickets (not everyone is quiet explained about script issue).

Posted: Dec 14th 2009 8:59PM (Unverified) said

It's not about objects being compliant or not; as I understand it you'll have an avatar memory quota, and parcels will have a memory quota, and it will be up to you how you fill those. Babbage was talking about allowing very large (up to 2MB) scripts as a side-effect of the limitations, as well.

In terms of scripts breaking... I'll almost certainly be doing some specials on scripts to help content creators make the leap (quite possibly simple freebie versions of worst hit scripts).

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 1:05PM (Unverified) said

"Someone probably turned up with a prim wig with a bunch of resize scripts that required loading more than a megabyte of scripts all in one go."

OMG no-sh!t!

I so, so, so hate those stupid 'resize' scripts and wish there was a way to ban those (and only those) from anything and everything I own. It's actually gotten to where I check prior to purchase if any attachment use those. if the answer is yes: I don't buy.

It's moot anyway. The idea was to sell no-modify items so "prim replicators" couldn't be used to copy a no-copy item (which if it's a worn item it should be copy/modify anyway in my opinion.) However, with the 'naughty' viewers out now, there is no stopping the copying anyway.

Those scripts are moot and thus a scourge of the grid the way I see it.

I seem to remember Jack mentioning the that script "limits" will apply to parcels - hence: full regions and on mainland as well. I would think if you own 8192 (which is 1/8th a region - right?) - then you would get 1/8th sim-resources to run scripts... or whatever. At least that's how I read his comment.

It was in the comments regarding the "Openspace-to-homestead" conversions in the bullets where he spoke of intended "changes and features" to help cope with the "over-use of resources".

So script limits will be just like prim limits: a set amount allowed per square meter (at least that was the idea back then, who knows what it will actually be now?)

Posted: Dec 15th 2009 5:57PM (Unverified) said

oh fuck! and here i was thinking just stopping scripts without warning and without good means of measuring how small changes to the script affect it's performance was already bad enough, they gonna make things unrezzable so we can't even try to fix it blindly? fucking great...

Posted: Dec 17th 2009 6:48AM (Unverified) said

You can rez any script at Sandbox region for testing purpose. Some sandbox will not have the script limit. So if you have some bad manner script and have to torture it, just go there.

Posted: Dec 28th 2009 6:41PM (Unverified) said

I wish Babbage Linden was allowed to tell about all other improvements his studio actually has in mind :)

Ari wrote:
>I seem to remember Jack mentioning the that script "limits" will apply to parcels - >hence: full regions and on mainland as well. I would think if you own 8192 (which >is 1/8th a region - right?) - then you would get 1/8th sim-resources to run scripts... >or whatever. At least that's how I read his comment.

Aye, that seems exactly what will be implemented as well :)

Posted: Dec 28th 2009 9:08PM (Unverified) said

Essentially, script limits *already* apply everywhere in SL - but nobody knows what they are, and they're completely unpredictable. Scripts either work or they fail, or crawl along dead slowly.

Codifying and implementing a set of limits that people can actually understand and rely on seems to be a step forward.