Posted: Dec 12th 2009 7:14PM AlamoeJones said

When you guys did the ReSubbed on it it got me interested. After they do this update I might have to check it out.

Posted: Dec 12th 2009 8:01PM Seffrid said

I'll certainly want to go back to the game once the graphic update is implemented, the only question is when that will be. It's been on the cards for so long now - let's just hope it appears before Hero's Journey and Huxley!

Posted: Dec 12th 2009 8:26PM Nadril said

I may check it out again after the graphics update.

The one thing I wonder though is if they will upgrade the controls a bit too. Compared to more modern MMOs it was a bit annoying to control at times (mostly the camera)

Posted: Dec 12th 2009 9:01PM heartlessgamer said

AO was always a game I enjoyed when I played it, but I could never get into it for too long.

Posted: Dec 14th 2009 10:12AM thranx said

I was the same way. I enjoyed it, but somehow it didn't keep me subbed for more than 2-3 months. I've occationally gone back to it, but *shrug* again it only lasts in brief spurts.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 12:04AM Crsh said

It's still pretty basic by today's standards, but it's an improvement on the 2001 graphics (and even then, back in 2001 AO already looked like shit). I'm spoiled tho, AO combat and UI is outdated and just feels awkward, I wish we could all go back to the golden EQ/UO/AO days.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 2:11PM wjowski said

Don't hold your breath.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 12:18AM Lateris said

I wish Fun com would consider redoing all the art assets int his game for this engine update.Even if it is just the avatars. Don't get me wrong I am really excited for this.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 12:49AM (Unverified) said

I haven't played AO in years and years. When I first heard about the graphics upgrade (a couple of years ago now) I resubbed for a month just to have a look around again...

What I wouldn't do to see that game revamped with new graphics / avatars. It's safe to say our genre needs more SciFi instead of this endless parade of fantasy junk.
If you crossed EVE space with AO's planets, I think you would have one of the best MMO's out there.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 1:12AM (Unverified) said

If, and ONLY IF, they reduce server lag.
Server lag is DEATH

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 3:59AM Psychotic Storm said

Meh ok they got nice lighting effects, in a game where a (new) shoulderpad has more polygons and effects than the entire face of the avatar model.....

They really need to redo the entire graphics assets to consider it a graphics update.

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 11:03AM (Unverified) said

Didn't they release the graphics update video, like, three years ago?

Posted: Dec 13th 2009 11:11AM Trodomir said

Posted: Dec 14th 2009 3:44AM (Unverified) said

before the new engine hits live ao there will be no more ao as funcom is allready planning to shut down one of the three servers.

Posted: Dec 14th 2009 7:49AM SkuzBukit said

They ran a "still alive" video in 2008, for all we know this is just some footage that was cut from that which has resurfaced.

Unless Funcom has decided to invest heavily into AO to bring it up to date, which I see as unlikely given their recent financial problems .

Until Funcom come out & say they are officially updating AO & give a time schedule then this new engine for AO isn't happening, I'd lay odds they wanted to do it at one time, but cannot now afford it, and I agree the assets need a revamp along with the textures etc.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 3:52AM (Unverified) said

They posted somewhere that they were porting this open sourced engine over to ao and after a year or so of work they figured out that it would take too much time and money to make it do everything that they wanted it to...

Now they are porting age of conans engine. which I guess will be easier. And that engine is being used in their new game too. So they will have 3 of their mmorpgs running the same engine. So they think that will help in the long run. Actually trying to remember the other game... oh yeah Secret World. I think Secret World looks good so far.

I played about 3 characters on Anarchy Online on a froob account. I liked it. Though I never really understood what I needed to do. I kinda just wondered around. It wasn't as clear cut as wow is. You can't be lost in wow for too long.

WRUP: WoW's next-next expansion