Posted: Dec 11th 2009 3:03PM Minofan said

I'm the exact opposite of a few of the posters so far - I'd never expect a group of strangers to wait for me, and I'd consider still being part of the group when I've got back (presumably leeching XP and loot drops) to be generous.

I'd follow exactly the same principle with regards to other people afking; move on if still can, start over if cannot.

Certainly wouldn't deviate for "I'll only be X minutes" or similar messages, as 9 times out of 10 the estimate will be woefully optimistic.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 3:25PM Pingles said

Great point. You actually reminded me of a guy who said:

"I'm going AFK. I will disband from the group but /follow you guys. If you still have room when I return I'd love to join you again"

That's a stand-up way to do it.

Posted: Dec 12th 2009 12:00PM Cendres said

You wouldn't be leeching squat if they WAITED for you. Of course I'm talking about negligible minutes AFK here, if you need to go and don't know how long you'll be that's another story. :)

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 3:56PM pcgneurotic said

This is why I just don't group anymore - 2 kids and a nagging wife who hates computers, let alone me sitting down to play! The only chance I get to group is waaaay past midnight, so usually I just don't bother.

Posted: Dec 14th 2009 12:43AM (Unverified) said

I typically am the first person in a group to reach the instance/dungeon/summoning stone whatever in whichever game I might be playing. I then sit around for 30-40 minutes doing diddly squat waiting for everyone else to stop going afk and get their asses in gear. Then 10 minutes after we finally start real life intrudes and I begin a massive afk or multiple afks.

What I don't mind is being left behind. I've gone afk. I don't expect a group of people to wait around for me. I don't even mind if they end up booting me from the group if I'm gone too long. What I do mind is people getting pissed off about it after I waited 40 minutes for them to take a leak and get some food. Your time is not more valuable than mine, so shut it.

Posted: Dec 14th 2009 7:46PM claytondora said

group members should not be responsible to wait for more than a simple excrement/nutrition pause in my opinion. Any longer than that, and you deserve to be left behind. Yes life interferes with gametime, but that's your business and shouldn't have to be the concern of those you play with. Get your responsibilities sorted out before you make other in-game commitments. Makes sense to me.