Posted: Dec 11th 2009 8:10AM Tom in VA said

Ahh, this is one of the reasons I liked Guild Wars so much.

My group (of heroes and henchmen) would always wait for me. Moreover, mobs did not respawn and the game does not automatically log you off due to inactivity, so you can stop playing midway through a dungeon or zone, take care of real-life things, and get back to the game later on.

I enjoy grouping with other players occasionally (which Guild Wars certainly allows), but if there is any possibility I might have to go afk, an AI party is definitely the way to go.

Man, how I wish other games would offer an AI play option like Guild Wars has. I would have liked LotRO and WoW a whole lot more if they had had a feature like that one.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 8:38AM Dumac said

No, i expect to be left behind and perfectly understand it.

Similarly, i hate it when someone goes afk and than 5 (or whatever) of us are 'forced' to wait and waste our time - if we can go on with out this one person (if he is not something like the main tank or healer), i strongly suggest that we do.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 1:01PM wjowski said

So basically you're a douchebag?

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 1:36PM (Unverified) said

heh heh heh

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 8:42AM LaughingTarget said

This is why auto-follow was invented.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 9:38AM Gaugamela said

/agree.

If you have to make a quick AFK break then just auto-follow. If you have to do a big break then you shouldn't have start the instance.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 1:27PM Cinnamoon said

Ironically, there really isn't auto-follow in Guild Wars (the game in the screenshot) -- you will only follow along until you catch up to the character you were following, then you stop until you click follow again. Meant to stop botting, but of course stops legitimate AFKing too.

On the other hand, as was said: Guild Wars is the perfect game for casuals and soloers, since you can do the vast majority of the game content (excepting a handful of zones and dungeons that aren't required to complete any of the campaigns) with NPC heroes and henchmen. Heroes and henchmen don't care if you AFK for 30, 30 times a day.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 8:56AM (Unverified) said

What game is that screenshot in the desert from?

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 8:58AM (Unverified) said

Guild Wars

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 9:30AM Jeromai said

I hate waiting for people in a group to finally be ready. For every one person who has to go AFK to tend to RL, 3-6 or more other people have put their real lives on hold for the group.

Sure, the unforeseen AFK happens, no biggie, just don't throw a fit if the rest have moved on. Be happy they are understanding enough to keep you in the group.

If a person jolly well knows that there's a high chance of their going AFK, don't join group activities at that time. Go do solo stuff for a bit. NPCs don't mind waiting. One can still socialise and get chat group kicks out of a guild chat channel while sporadically AFK.

That's what I do, and I like to group with other people who respect their teammates enough to not mix RL and game group time too frequently. If I did have to go AFK, I'll hustle to return as soon as possible, and I certainly wouldn't expect my teammates cooling their heels, waiting for me to hold my hand to cross the road to wherever they're at.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 9:39AM Jeromai said

Actually, a far more interesting question is: do you hate getting left behind (in levels, gear, achievement) in the game? And why?

That's what I thought when I read the headline before the article turned out to be about group etiquette and expectations.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 12:18PM Sente said

As for being left behind in terms of levels:

- The MMOs I typically play level differences are often a non-issue, due to sidekicking, not being level-oriented or similar features that helps people to play together, if they want. Even if I were playing an MMO were levels were a significant barrier to play together with others it would not bother me too much, since interaction with other people is so much more than just being in the same group in an MMO.
- As for differences in gear and achivements: I don't really care much about those in the first place, so even if I actually noticed a difference (I would not look and compare) it would not bother me.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 12:59PM Xanija said

I thought exactly the same when I read the headline. :)

@topic
Depending on how long I would stay away, I would expect people to wait, as I would wait as well. If someone can't wait for a few minutes, I'd rather not want to play with them anyway.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 10:19AM Hackjob said

This is one of the reasons I find it harder and harder to play mmo's as I get older. I have to play at off times when I know it will be much less likely to be interrupted. Console games have been taking over more of my time because of the ability to pause or stop a game in a moments notice. This real life/game divide poses a problem to a lot of gamers who don't have the luxury of ignoring real life events.

I don't want to have to worry about sacrificing all my time and effort on something like a raid and before I get to the end someone shows up at the door. Now my time and effort is flushed down the toilet where in a console game I could hit pause.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 10:03AM Cendres said

Yes actually it does bother me. I find it rude, and I think it's because my first main mmo was FFXI where everyone waited for everyone else. Maybe it's because everything took so damn long to do people didn't mind waiting 5 or 10-15 minutes for someone AFK. But it was just courtesy back then, now you watch out for yourself, no one really has your back.

Of course if you know you'll be AFK all the time don't group that's common sense, however sometimes stuff happens and I find in most grouping today nobody has patience. I've been in groups where I was like: "Oh no I have to check something for 2 mins.. " Come back to the screen and find the group has kept going moving along anyway leaving me to aggro and possibly die.... There are of course the exception which are always gems to play with :)

Another reason why I solo; Oh but it's a massively mutliplayer!! Yeah? Get some manners! lol :)

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 10:38AM (Unverified) said

I hate being left behind in levels not so much straggling while traveling. When a group of friends and I all start on the treadmill at the same time. You level for a week and keep everything nice and even then everyone says they are calling it a night. When you wake up an log in they are 5 levels ahead of you >.< I HATE that. Grinding or grind-questing is SOOOO boring by yourself. Plus if there is a contract or an offer to level together and they leave you behind it is a broken agreement. Then they pressure you to catch up and enjoyment levels dip down to mournful levels.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 11:44AM Pingles said

It's why I solo. I just CAN'T prioritize my gaming as my life is right now (life is good).

I still enjoy gaming and probably MMO every day but in very short bursts.

My best AFK story:

I was playing Dark Age of Camelot and was in a great group bashing through Coruscating Mines when one player seemed to not be helping. We kept asking but he was just auto-following. We were still doing okay so we let him leech and he finally returned with "Sorry, was playing Playstation"

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 1:03PM wjowski said

Honestly, unless the guy's serial-AFKing or something, it won't kill the group to wait for a few minutes.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 1:43PM (Unverified) said

I dislike the group member who yells out "Wait, I'll be right back!" and leaves the group standing there for a half hour. They finally come back and say something like "I had to eat lunch" or "My show was on and I couldn't miss it". It's rude. If you have to leave the group for more than a minute, excuse yourself and come back later.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 2:08PM (Unverified) said

Frankly it would be incredibly rude of me to expect people to wait for me. Of course it would depend on the game I guess.

The fact is - here's how it works: It would be rude for me to expect them to wait. However, it would be even more polite for them to wait for me nonetheless. So, in the end, it becomes their choice of whether or not to leave me behind, and there's no hurt feelings either way. It was, after all, MY problem, and I can't and should expect to hold up four or more other people because of my problem.

The only catch to this rule of mine is that I was usually the healer. So the group really had no choice...lol. But it was, nonetheless, my rule. And I felt terrible each time I had to do it.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014