Posted: Dec 11th 2009 1:16PM SkuzBukit said

After thinking about it for a while I think you might be onto something.

When you think of "classic" Gunslinger storylined westerns they are often set in arid, inhospitable vistas....cue tumbleweed, & the towns are small rickety shabby affairs that look beat down & weary.

This shares quite a lot in common with a post-nuclear wasteland, desolate reds & browns & mad-max style characters, with towns built up out of the remnants of the now destroyed civilisation.

The kinds of themes running through the two share many parallels too.

Now, personally, I haven't played Fallen Earth but if it took some of the classic western themes & stories & transplanted them over to their setting I think it would work incredibly well.

Interesting article.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 1:27PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I think its our answer to a new meaning of grinding...and drudgery.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 1:34PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
That's if frontend.exe actually ran... and the updater didn't freeze...

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 3:46PM Raithnor said

Check out the Anime series "Trigun" or "Desert Punk" for a slightly different spin on the "New West" genre.

I found the last paragraph to be the most enlightening thing about Fallen Earth. I had written it off as a "Fallout MMO", after playing Fallout 3 I thought the world it had was way too hostile to really rebuild human civilization in.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 1:53PM (Unverified) said

I hate to sound like "that guy," but I have been thinking this for a bit. I told Leala the other day that it is like a Wild West movie meets a survival camp. This is awesome that you have written this, though, cuz now I can link to it in my review!

Next time I see ya in game, I'll buy ya a saspirilla!

Beau

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 2:55PM eNTi said

• Half a heart
anyone remembers http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909/ ?
fe is nothing short from a wow clone in terms of quest-grind... it really is not good and your first try to make it run (patch) should tell you that, even before you start into the game...

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 3:06PM Aganazer said

If FE is a WoW clone then everything ever created in the MMOG genre is a WoW clone.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 3:05PM The Minn said

Wow clone? First try to make it run? Are you a basher. It's not a WoW clone and I never had any issue, ever, loading the game. Fallen Earth is my favorite, new, MMO of 2009. Easily beats out Darkfall (which I also play, btw).

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 3:24PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I played this game on the 14 day trial and I enjoyed many aspects of it like the first person point of view, the crafting, the action and most of all the atmosphere , but whenever I ran into any sort of other people around the game it lagged like no other game I've ever played, I've been in Warhammer, Age of Conan, WoW, and EVE but this is the only game thats ever lagged for me. Whenever I ran into five people at all the game became unplayable. Plus to download one patch it took three hours then froze and took another three hours...

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 3:59PM (Unverified) said

Wow, i didn't know there were so many disgruntled Aion fans on here. Aint gotta bash the other game just cause it almost beat you in the polls. Comparing Fallen Earth to WOW and complaining it didn't work is like comparing Star Wars to Hanna Montana because they are both movies and were filmed by cameras... then griping that Star Wars was terrible because it didn't work when you put it in the DVD player upside down.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 7:01PM LaughingTarget said

A Wild West MMO would be terribly boring. Well, in a real sense it would, in a Hollywood sense, it may be a bit more interesting. The good old Wild West was safer to live in (from other people anyway) than living in Cleveland or New York. People went west to get away from the violence and danger of city living. If it was remotely like it is "romanticized" to be then no one would have bothered going.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 7:20PM Russell Clarke said

Yeah I tend to play FE with a Wild West kind of mindset, but it's also tinged with that sort of futuristic 'Firefly' feel too (at least in my brain, if not on screen). I'm happily travelling around on mah pony rather than bothering with an ATV or motor bike. Yeah I know it's slower, but it's just...cooler :)

Posted: Dec 16th 2009 2:32PM Bhagpuss said

Whenever my girlfriend watches me play Fallen Earth she points out that it looks more like I'm playing a Western than a post-apoc game. On the other hand, I suggested in the Help channel the other night that FE was a passable Western MMO but we could use a real one and the general opinion seemed to be that no-one under 50 had any interest in the Old West.

While FE can certainly be used as a quasi-Western, I'd love a full-blown, AAA Old West MMO. I suspect, however, that there's just not the market there.

Posted: Dec 12th 2009 5:48AM (Unverified) said

Been watching a few YouTubes, plus Beau and Leala's Vodcast #93 (thanks, entertaining as always guys) so I'm curious about FE despite many players seemingly dropping away after a few weeks citing boredom and repetitivity.

However, I can't for the life of me find a trial.

I've read comments that one does indeed exist, yet when I asked around I got told "I wasn't looking hard enough".. wow that's really helpful, thanks.

Is anybody able to point me in the right direction?

Surely a trial exists? I mean I'd be surprised if something like this didn't have one so that potential subscribers could check out the game without having to lay down $50USD only to find it wasn't their cup of tea.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Dec 12th 2009 6:37AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Fallen Earth ? ....

That's that game with NPC's stuck in a wooden floor with their breasts penetrated from it?

It's that game where you actually want to move at more than 3 frames per second right ?

And where you can jump to cities ALL with LOW pops...

FE means NO explanation on any features and then calling it "hardcore". Just as if wondering in a fake 2D/3D game with invisible walls anywhere is "fun".

Sandbox my ass.

Posted: Dec 12th 2009 7:12AM (Unverified) said

Ahem, no one said FE was a full blow sandbox mmorpg, its been said, over and over again even by the player base and devs.

To set the record straight: HYRBID, can you say HYBRID..

People need to get their facts straight before they look like a ass.

On another subject..

Some of these X FE players don't even know what the hell their playing in the 1st place. Calling FE a WoW clone is simply unsurbed, since we should call all mmorpgs today a Meridian 59 Clone.

The young ones that started with WoW as their 1st mmo should do some history 101 with mmorpgs and see who came 1st.

All WoW did was change the mmorpg's to be more simplified and fast gratification to a larger audience

Posted: Dec 12th 2009 8:29AM vinemt said

I can't stand all the sepia toned graphics in the game.

Posted: Dec 12th 2009 8:43AM (Unverified) said

Fallen Earth is an excellent game and the developers have done a marvelous job of delivering patches and fixes over the last few months since it opened. So complaints about crashing clients and low frame rates have been addressed, for many, if not all, players.

Whether or not the game is your cup of tea is another question, and some won't like for a variety of reasons. Which is fine, it happens and should be expected.
But, the vehemence with which some of these posters attack FE does makes one wonder if the game turned down their sexual advances.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories