Posted: Dec 11th 2009 4:27PM Serious Table said

You've got a good idea in supporting the new-comers, or those who are struggling. I whole-heartidly agree, and there's nothing more satisfying than watching someone you just taught how to Tank tank really really REALLY well in an instance. It gives you a sense of pride you won't find by being in the best gear, honestly.

However, I think there needs to be a distinction made of those who are worth helping, and those who are not.

As I'm sure you are well aware, there are two types of "Newbies". We have "newbs", and we have "n00bs".

Newbs are those who don't perform well but are trying. They may be new to the game, or they may have just not grasped the mechanics of their class/role/profession. They should be nutured, encouraged, taught, and taken under your wing to help them learn and grow. They have potential, and you'll earn a great teammate in having done so.

N00bs, on the other hand, are those who suck, but think that they're the greatest player in the history of ever, and refuse to learn, refuse to listen, because they're too leet, and everyone else must suck but them. These? Honestly, they're not likely worth the amount of time it'll take to get them to stop talking 1337speak and listen to you so you can help. They're best handled with /kicks from a group so you can progress.

But I do agree, especially from personal experience. I... suck at most PvP games, including Team Fortress 2. Because of this, I often play support roles, such as the healer, in this case the Medic. I'm still getting a grasp of the role, still trying to get better. I had a Soldier take me under their wing and tell me personally ways I could improve, ways to get better, when to launch that Ubercharge and what a Spy looks like when he's disguised. I have since improved greatly, and am finally a credit to my team.

I can guarantee you, I would have been ignored if I said "lol u suck so bad, im not healing u any mor." So teachers, teach! Newbs, be humble and willing to learn! Then, kickass under the watchful and proud eyes of your teacher!

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 6:52PM DevilSei said

Heh, I've grouped with a few "N00bs" before.

There was the pally in LFG as a tank with a two-hander and the healing heirloom healing plate shoulders, who then started yelling at us about how he's not tank but dps, and when I brought up he had "Righteous Fury" (a spell that causes you to generate 90% MORE threat) on and that isn't a dps thing, he freaked out on me, kicked me out of the party.

Well, shortly after everyone else just left the party and we ended up 4manning the dungeon with a rogue, two mages, and my priest..

What really scares me though, is the fact this guy has an 80, cause if he is that bad on an alt, I'd hate to see his main...

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 6:35PM (Unverified) said

Your paragraph of asking someone to learn a whole raid pattern in 30seconds reminded me of when i first did naxxramas in world of warcraft for the first time and before each fight i was one of few people in the raid that didnt know it, so basically yes i had to learn each fight in 30seconds - 1minute, but then again back then i was a hardcore player.

I get what your saying on the whole help people out sometimes but i think there's a difference between not getting a fight and not knowing what half your skills do.I was in a guild for a few months that had a lot of new players.When we high level people did low level raids to help the new people out, i believe those guys learned a lot about raiding and following directions and after a few of these raids i usually had 1-3 people asking me questions about mages or hunters.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 4:49PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I disagree with the ending segment. There needs to be castes in these games. I'm sorry, but teaching someone a spell rotation that they could have gone out and learned on their own *like I did* is simply hand holding. Which ONLY breeds more hand holding. I feel nothing but contempt for people who join my groups, haven't read about *ANY* of what is about to go on, and are thus wasting my time. My valuable time that I only have so little of anymore to dedicate to gaming.

Tell me, if you're trying to balance family, work, single-player gaming and MMO gaming, do you think it is a better use of time to gather your already elite friends and spend your 2 hours crushing out 4 or 5 dungeons? Or spend those 2 hours hand-holding someone so unable to care for themselves that they can't figure out how to google a self-help guide?

I'll take the former any day, and continue to scorn and kick bad players from my groups.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:02PM (Unverified) said

"I feel nothing but contempt for people who join my groups, haven't read about *ANY* of what is about to go on, and are thus wasting my time."

Since when did videogames require hours of research? Did you research Monopoly the first time you played it? What about Tic-Tac-Toe?

Regardless of how "serious" you think this is, it really is just a game.

If you want to play with other skilled players, that's fine, but disparaging people who aren't as good at something as you are says more about YOU than it does about them...

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:03PM Vandell said

I hate to say it, but I highly agree with this. I mean, grouping with someone who is freshly level-capped, but is very quick to learn, I can tolerate. But I don't have time to waste on teaching people stuff they could easily learn for themselves.. Google/Bing is your friend, just use it and find out how to play better.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:07PM Vandell said

Er, I agree with Tzeriel, not Pope Jamal, that is. Stupid commenting system.

To Pope, though, I say that it's not about taking it seriously, but about time management. -You- may have all the time in the world to flounce about all la-de-da [hypothetically], but I don't. I want to get things done, as its more fun to succeed than to fail.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:12PM (Unverified) said

So you're not that bothered about it being 'fun then'

We've all kicked, or been kicked, because there's just no hope for whatever reason, but there are ways of doing these things that don't just involve a harsh 'kick' without trying to explain in a nice way first just what they need to do to improve.

This is known as 'social skills' and I have nothing but contempt for people who come to my groups without googling 'social skills' first :and knowing ANYTHING about them :)

We are joking here arnt we.... right...

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:05PM Rich said

There is a HUGE difference between reading and doing. Having someone make suggestions or walk you through how it works is 10x better than just reading it.

I had read all this stuff about pally tanking in WoW and decided to give a shot. Got the gear and followed the advice from the "self help guides" include the go to place for Pally tanks. I struggled and struggle in 5 man runs until I got into a PUG with a guy who also played a pally tank. All through the instance he was giving me pointers and have since gone to be the MT for 2 different raiding guilds.

I passed it forward when I transferred servers to play with some friends. I did a run with a friend and the tank was the MH for my friend's guild. He took up tanking to help his wife out and because they didn't have enough tanks for 5 mans. In the 3 instances I ran with him that night, I gave him pointers and suggestions. By the end of the night, he'd improved 100% and thanked me for helping him. I got a guild invite for my pally and lock on the spot.

Sometimes spending a few min helping someone out goes a long way to making a mediocre player a great one.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:10PM (Unverified) said

Tz:
I started in UO a long time agoand have played every concievable MMO out there. Every now and then I would come across a new player and help them out, money skills, tips in general. You know what that did for me....I now have friends all over the world that I would call true friends and help them out anytime they called me. You can sit with your elite friends and get your "virtual" lewts while I visit friends out of country because I spent time with them for a few hours and helped them better themselves. That arguement is the same reason more of the community in MMO's is turning out the way they are and sucking out the fun of it. Stop being so damn selfish....

Everyone has to start somewhere and I'm sure you didn't open the box and suddenly become the God of Gaming.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:13PM Dblade said

This is why I play pet classes. Your pet will never tell you "GTFO n00b" and you can usually solo most of the content you like in the game with it. I think a big push to solo play is not having to deal with the whole "measuring up to standards of not sucking." that others require of you in group content. Even if you are competent at your job, most MMO experiences don't let people learn at your own pace. You can't build skill in parties because failing then is going to cause everyone to get annoyed and kick you.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:38PM DFuzzy1 said

A pet that insulted you would be the best kind of pet ever.

It looks like you're failing miserably at tanking a heroic instance. Would you like to:
1. ragequit
2. whine on forums
3. lrn2ply

Posted: Dec 12th 2009 2:32AM Dblade said

No actually, in both the games I play there aren't things like that. But thanks for reminding me about yet another reason why soloers prefer pet jobs. So they can ignore the hell out of people like you.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:15PM (Unverified) said

We've all seen MMOs die off partly due to an insular, unfriendly player community. Players need to realize that calling every newcomer a "clueless nub! go back to WoW!" is a good way to kill off their favorite MMO. No subscribers=no money=servers getting shut down.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:26PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I was made better at MMOs by players who were my betters CHALLENGING me, not holding my hand and saying "Here little one, do it this way!"

Most of the time, these people who fancy themselves "Teachers" are infact quite stupid and unskilled. They "Teach" new players how to play, which just adds to the level of utter failure plaguing games today.

I learned these games on my own. The knowledge and power that come with that are mine and belong to me. Who are you to say the ONLY way to play is to spend my life passing my knowledge on to people too dumb to even use it?

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:34PM Rich said

Congrats, you win the internet.

Not everyone is like you. People learn in different ways.

So go back to playing your games (probably Eve since you have the same attitude of 90% of the people I encountered there.) and have fun.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 6:11PM (Unverified) said

"The knowledge and power that come with that are mine and belong to me."

Ha! The epeen power is strong in this one.

I will never play Darkfall because of guys like this that inhabit the world in droves.
I hang out in high sec in EVE for the same reason.

I'm a casual player. Work and life takes up too much time for me to slave away for hours watching youtube videos to learn "how to play"

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 9:08PM mysecretid said

Ah, the myth of the self-made man rears its ugly head yet again.

Everyone gets ahead through the assistance of others; to claim otherwise is to be either so oblivious, or so self-absorbed, as to ignore or "block out" the instances where others have contributed to one's success.

Ayn Rand wasn't right; her mortal fear of sociality (by way of socialism) made her see only what see wanted to see.

Kind of like what's happening here.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:34PM (Unverified) said

"The knowledge and power that come with that are mine and belong to me."

Oh boy..... .... ... ... If you're a troll dam you're good. Funniest thing I've read in ages.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 5:51PM (Unverified) said

"There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path." -Morpheus