Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:16AM Miffy said

• Half a heart
Can't play an MMO if it isn't perfect these days. World of Warcraft set new standards to the level of polish and how an MMO should be. If theres an MMO out there that doesn't nail everything then it just bothers me.

EQ2 - Too many loading screens
Lotro - Horrible character design
WAR - Horrible combat
SWG - Ugly UI and feeling of being stuck to the ground
AoC - Too instanced and feels like a single player game

I don't care how many features they get right, I just can't enjoy them if they don't nail everything.

Even WoW with it's lack of character customization. I mean the game is so perfect in other ways with having the best lore, world design, combat, graphics, quests etc etc. However I look like EVERYONE else so I don't feel special and it stopped me from playing.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 10:23AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Preach more venekor, u grizzled old man, can't even stay on topic. U have horrible judgment and terrible taste, i cant tell if there's anything u even like at all.

for me its terrain, I love how different terrain affects combat. From knocking people off ledges in wow for kills i don't deserve, to the way i can destroy any ranged dps in war, unless they have terrain to help them keep distance, to the gorgeous scenery in LOTRO and VG that make me not mind slowing down for a minute to savor the sight.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 10:44AM Miffy said

• Half a heart
lol.

No good mmorpgs anymore so why would I like one? Been waiting since 2005 and all the ones that have come out since have fucking sucked,

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 12:37PM RogueJedi86 said

Venekor, re-read the topic's subject. It's not "what's your favorite game?" or "Which MMO is perfect to the exclusion of all others?". It's about which specific feature you cannot live without. Just name a specific feature and be done.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:20AM Miffy said

• Half a heart
SWG will always be my fave because it did so many things right like the seamless worlds with seamless player cities and housing. It had an amazing social death penalty and everything was designed to feel like a real world like with the 10 min starport waits and player crafted economy. I loved the profession system more than any class system and I loved how there was an alpha class which at the time worked cause it had permadeath, it was ruined when they got rid of that cause of the whiners.

However the killer thing was SOE didn't know what to do with it. They kept breaking the game and not fixing the one thing it needed which was CONTENT. So the subscribers left cause there was nothing to do in the game. So instead of adding content they decided to break the game more and more with the CU and NGE.

Now they just milk it with TCG and treat the game like a toy and not a world. Lets just chuck anything Star Wars in it, no matter of the timeline. Lets add zombies and give everyone bat wings....... what were Lucas Arts thinking when they approved all this shit.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:21AM elocke said

I'm going to have to say exploration. If I can't go off into the wild and find some really awesome views and secrets and easter eggs, and I get hemmed in by instancing or non natural invisible walls, then the game really loses a ton of appeal to me.

This is one of the reasons I like LOTRO so much. I even find WoW does a fairly good job in this department, for the most part. Games like EQ2 and AoC are the worst in that they tease me and fool me into seeing a beautiful area that in reality drives me nuts when I reach the end of the zone and can go no further without an immersion breaking loading screen.

Although, funny enough FFXI had instanced zones, but the feel of them was so real the loading sceen inbetween(which was just black)didn't bother me.

I'm also really beginning to like things like achievement type systems, especially how LOTRO and WAR do it.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:35AM (Unverified) said

I'm very similar with all your points - exploration is a big part.

I haven't played FFXI, but what you describe is what I feel when playing guild wars - the feel of the areas was so good that the occasional loading screen didn't really bother me.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 10:03AM (Unverified) said

There's really no real exploration in LOTRO or WoW. They're linear games from start to finish. They just aren't the type of MMOs that lend themselves to making exploration truly worthwhile. Their worlds aren't open enough and quests will inevitably send you to every area in the entire game.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 12:43PM (Unverified) said

Alz, can't speak for WOW but exploration is a huge part of LOTRO for me - and there are rewards given for exploring, so it's also worth your time.

That's definitely my favorite part of the game.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:25AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd. I like the alternate appearance in Lotro.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:25AM (Unverified) said

I sense the new LFG system added to wow will be something everyone will want in all mmo's really soon.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 10:09AM Holgranth said

Agreed at the risk of sounding like a total Blizzard fanboi after using the Dungeon tool to get cross server PuGs last night all of which were well geared and well suited to the instances we were placed in I don't think I'm going to be able to EVER go back to standing in a populous area typing,LFG.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:35AM Ohhlaawd said

A decently balanced PvP system with an active PvP community, for sure. My all-time favorite PvP remains UO circia 1999-2003, so it doesn't need to be a complicated system as long as the mechanics are solid. UO PvP lost it for me when they added item insurance (kind of a necessary evil when you create legendary items) but those days when you could get 5v5+ guild fights over nothing but bragging rights were simply amazing.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:35AM (Unverified) said

Mentoring like in EQ2 or apprenticeship in Conan, sidekicks in CoH etc

Being able to play with my friends and family regardless of level...if a game does not allow me to play with the people I want to, I wont play it.

V

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:49AM (Unverified) said

Unfortunately I have to live without this great feature (yes, another Tabula Rasa reference): real auto loot.

All you had to do to loot corpses in TR was simply run over (hell, even just near enough to) the body. Quick, simple, efficient. No stopping & clicking. No having to hold an extra keep to "loot all".

Just kill & run, and your loot is done.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 10:52AM (Unverified) said

Oh man, this would be excellent for most games. Especially games where the camera is forced to point the direction you're running in (except through some arcane keybind, or awkward panning function) since stopping combat to look DOWN and loot something just takes the wind right out of any combat high I may be having at the time. Imagine if you had to loot things all the time in an FPS, manually.

"M-M-M-M-ULTI KI- Oh, hang on, let me get this ammo. *looks down*

*looks up, into an oncoming rocket* Fu-"

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 4:19PM Joshua Przygocki said

Allods has a nice auto loot system, just hit z as you walk by the loot bag to put it in your inventory

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:51AM mysecretid said

A sense of place. The illusion of immersion.

If a game is little more than an animated kill-fest, I get bored very quickly.

I like action and combat, certainly, but those MMORPG games which try to make their worlds feel "alive" to some degree, beyond the fighting -- those are the games which impress me.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:52AM kasapina said

Balanced, fun and relaxed pvp. Now, I don't mind hardcore pvp, infact it is a plus. But there HAS to be some form of pvp with very small penalties (like the one in wow for example).
In addition, I love alternative skills. And the further away they are from combat, the better. WoW, for exampe, fails in this - their professions are mostly just "Go farm x item on y mob and then use 30 of it to make 10 stacks of z item, to gain skill points". On the other hand, runescape does it perfectly.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:55AM (Unverified) said

I always felt that any really good MMORPG will have at least an auction house system, and a craft system.

If you look at it from my viewpoint, the entire game(any: see WoW as example) is really built around creating a system where the playerbase can have an economy, and auction houses and crafting add to that.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly