Posted: Dec 10th 2009 5:09PM (Unverified) said

I'm really excited about this game, actually. I play FPS only a little less than I play RPGs. And since I like the Eve world, but am bored by the Eve Online combat system I think this could easily, very easily, be my second MMO.

If only I liked Eve too. I could play both at almost the same time.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 6:03PM halfcaptain said

Excellent piece, James. Well written and informative. I'm not being snarky either, it was just a good read.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 6:18PM (Unverified) said

Thank you!

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 7:23PM Gaugamela said

I would try out EVE if they had a different control setting. Something more action oriented. The FPS doesn't interests me at all.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 7:20AM cchance said

so you would like eve if it was more action oriented, and the action oriented eve offshoot (Dust) you dont want to use?

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 7:41AM Gaugamela said

I would like EVE if it had a control system more similar to other MMOs and RPGs.
I am nnot interested in DUST because it is a console game and a FPS. I don't have a console and dislike FPSs.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 7:49PM Cicadymn said

Console only?

I'm officially disappointed. So much for Dust 514

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:08PM Halldorr said

My son and his friends are absolutely pumped for this game. I keep showing them pictures and stories and letting them know I can hire them to fight on the ground for me - I have an army of teenaged minions MWAHAHA!

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:11PM karnisov said

i was looking forward to this until i found out it was console-only. pass.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 8:38PM (Unverified) said

For me, not playing EVE is not about the learning cliff. I love EVE, I just don't like non-consensual PvP. If CCP made a carebear EVE I'd crawl inside and never come back out.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 10:40PM halfcaptain said

It's funny, EVE has this reputation as this dog-eat-dog-eat-ship type of mmo, and while true, it's a little misleading. There are many, many players that stick, for the most part, to high security space, and make a very decent living out of it. If you pay attention, you can avoid pvp for months on end - and I'm not talking about running away; I'm talking about never being attacked. One of my friends, a pretty solid mission-runner, has had fewer than 5 pvp engagements in his 3 years of EVE. According to him, pvp isn't his 'bag,' but that doesn't stop me from razzing him about being a carebear. In a way, you 'consent' to pvp by taking high risk routes or joining corporations with a penchant for making enemies.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 3:32AM SgtBaker said

They really should remove lvl4 missions and valuable ores from high-sec. Jeez. 3 years as a mission runner?

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 7:19AM cchance said

i've lived in highsec also for 1 year, but im planning to WH and get into nullsec alliance... highsec is relatively safe for even carebears, but its not 100% safe a retriever properly aligned and mining can easily escape any suicide pilots... the thing is people need to stop worrying so much so what if u loose a ship i was a relative carebear, its a game, learn to loose ships and just buy a new one!

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 4:51PM halfcaptain said

@ SgtBaker: Yup. He does some mining on the side, but for the most part he rakes it in by hauling and running missions. I've accompanied him on a few of his lvl 4's and 5's with friends and he's got that shit down pat.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 11:24PM (Unverified) said

I just started playing EVE and trying to force myself past the curve... maybe by the time this comes out i'll understand what im doing. lol

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 6:35AM (Unverified) said

I played EVE for a while and for me it was not the learning curve but the experience levels. The gap between the players in PVP is considerable. I was a 1 year player and was getting attacked and Pod'd by players that had 3+ years experience. I understand the "how" and "why" of the system but with no hope of "catching" or "winning" was just disheartening. Ultimately I quit because of it. Great game except for the experience system in my own opinion.

As for DUST... console only . that is just BS. I was excited to hear about Station Walking last year and DUST was mention as a FPS these last few months. I thought ok.. I may comeback... but console only... not a good move CCP. Sorry...

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 7:07AM (Unverified) said

I'm always telling players this because I've felt that way before. You can only use a percentage of your skills at any given time, i.e. if I'm flying a frigate, all of my cruiser and battleship skills are useless. I happen to know how to use hybrid weapons, but if I've got projectile weapons fitted then my skills with hybrids are pointless also. The longer you play and train, the MORE things you can do but you can't do them all at once. You can be competitive in EVE PvP after 2 or 3 months, or sooner with some friends.

Get yourself in a cheap tech 1 frigate with cheap tech 1 fittings (you should be given one in the tutorial), and maybe 5-6 other guys in the same, and (if you're smart) you'll be able to take out much larger ships like they're made of paper, the best part is that large guns won't be able to touch small targets like you. You'll need less friends as you get more skills, but once you get to about 6 months of training time you can be as good as any 3 year character at flying one type of ship. Look up Agony Unleashed, they sorted out my worries about "never being able to catch up".

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 7:16AM cchance said

i am soooo tired of hearing about people complaining about skill gap, a 20m SP player vs a 2m SP player can beat the 20m player easily, especially if that person is diverse training, also who knows maybe your in a frigate that you spent 2m solid SP learning and, the 20m SP player spent it on battleships... sorry to tell you even though the battleship is bigger and more powerful chances are that frigate pilot with a proper ship fit will totally f*ck him up

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 7:56AM (Unverified) said

What's with all the console hate? How is "a bad move"? Look at the sales numbers for mw2 on consoles vs pc. If ccp is putting out a shooter why not put it on consoles? Honestly.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 10:57AM (Unverified) said

@Thor

That's because mw2 was a half assed port over to PC. If you're going to port over a game, and shit on it instead of doing it properly, expect low sales numbers for that port. Same goes with PC to Console.

The console hate is mainly due to the fact that EVE is a PC MMO with a hardcore and loyal fanbase. That fanbase has been waiting for the day they can walk out of their ships or even fight on the ground. Making it console only is kind of a slap in the face to that fanbase.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM