Posted: Dec 9th 2009 11:11AM (Unverified) said

Since inventory transactions are based on IM's as well, this could very well mean we face some inventory arriving weeks after its purchase. WHile this may sound good, it might also be a problem in cases where a store-owner has - out of goodwill - delivered a replacement.

This will also be a cause for drama: IM's that did not reach the recipient might have caused drama already. But IM's that better never had reached their recipient will do so now.

In any case I see this as a serious issue, and I hope the Lab will take a close look, and even more - be fully open with us regarding the scope and implication of the issue.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 11:28AM (Unverified) said

Kinda makes one wander why exactly where these messages lost in the first place? Why are they just NOW getting to there intended places?

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 11:31AM (Unverified) said

I'm experiencing this in spades. It sure does make for some unusual conversations!

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 11:35AM (Unverified) said

I've had about a hundred conversations with people contacting me to say "What?" "Huh?" "I thought that was all sorted out" and "?????"

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 11:43AM (Unverified) said

I had a friend report that a message i had sent them in early June had been delivered last night.

Short of the french farce like implications that a situation like this could cause, I do wonder what type of issues the asset server is having lately.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 12:35PM karnisov said

wow, fail of epic proportions. IMs getting delivered 6 months later. lol.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 1:13PM (Unverified) said

THAT would explain why my husband was replying to a six-week-old IM... LOL. Poor man thought I was nuts, I believe...

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 1:10PM ColorblindMonk said

I doubt you can even call those IMs. Just... Ms.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 3:45AM (Unverified) said

Those are LM's (Laggy Messages)

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 4:01PM (Unverified) said

I've been getting these and receiving replies to 6-week-old messages myself.

I actually find it rather entertaining and funny.
Here's a though though: I have discovered that whenever you are in an active IM session with someone and a message is sent to you just as you are either in the middle of a telelprot or crossing a sim border...

...that message doesn't appear in your IM window, but rather gets forwarded to email as though you are off-line (this is not a new "discovery" - I've experienced this for the last couple years off-and-on) - so I wonder if it could be these "orphaned" IM messages where the recipient was in that "sim-transfer" limbo at the moment the enter key was pressed or the message otherwise attempted to be actually delivered.

And now som e kind of gas in the system is causing it to all be belched-up?

LOL

It's funny, though!

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 4:14PM (Unverified) said

I'm guessing that's a pretty common experience actually. I tend to tell my IM conversation partners "I'm TPing" out of habit, to avoid having to collect those orphaned IMs by email later.

This also happens if someone IMs you when you're logging in but haven't necessarily "arrived" in-world yet.

In any case this deluge of backlogged IMs is frustrating and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the system! I hope the rumors of IMs being sent to the wrong recipients are unfounded; that could be a true mess.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 4:39PM (Unverified) said

"Worse still, this-morning we are getting reports of some of these delinquent IMs reaching people other than the original recipients, though how this could be happening is not yet clear."

I have a feeling these scenarios are due to user errors i.e. wrong IM windows or people doing some CYA action, ha.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 9:01AM (Unverified) said

After opening a customer's profile and clicking the Instant Message button, I sent a message to them. After it sent I realized that the name it returned for the BUSY message was totally incorrect. In the tab for that IM conversation in Communicate window I noticed it said "Loading..." instead of a name.

I closed the IM tab and re-opened IM from his profile. The text I had sent was not there. It was sent to the wrong user. And I had to say it to the right guy again.

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 6:45PM (Unverified) said

they keep IMs on the system for that long?

Posted: Dec 11th 2009 6:48PM (Unverified) said

hm, weird, i could swear i had also asked if the stale msgs were all from around 5 weeks ago in my comment...