Posted: Dec 9th 2009 10:07AM (Unverified) said

Funny enought. My motherboard melted and having been waiting the past month for a replacement. I've been on this force break from my favorite game for that amount of time. I've organised my stuff. Cleaned my house once a week. Spent time with friends outside. The jonesin for getting back into my game has been coming up in the past 2 days.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 10:17AM Serious Table said

There really is nothing quite like a break from the same-ol' same-ol', especially when it comes to MMOs. One of my favorite things to do now is log off that MMO I've been playing for MONTHS, log into Vent so I can still chat with the guildies I'm so fond of, then fire up a single-player game like Mass Effect, or something COMPLETELY different from the MMO like Team Fortress 2, and just have some good away time. It lets you come back to the game refreshed and excited again.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 10:21AM Tom in VA said

But I can't stop playing Dragon Age: Origins.... I, I, just caaaaan't stopppp....

(What a welcome change DA:O has been from WoW, LotRO, and the like!)

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 11:12AM (Unverified) said

Unfortunately, when you stop playing MMOs you fall behind in gear in relation to the people who continue playing. also, as these games are usually subscription based, youre paying the company to not play, thereby rewarding them for inducing burnout.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 12:23PM Serious Table said

The solution to that is to actually unsubscribe and take a break for a while before resubscribing to the game again. Then you're not paying them a cent until you're ready to play again.

On an off note, how does one go about changing their display name and picture on here? I tried by clicking on my name, but it doesn't recognize my password?

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 12:27PM Sean D said

So stop paying for your game. Take a month off. I think this is great advice. The game isn't going anywhere, and who are you competing with? What's the rush?

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 12:27PM Vladimyr said

I always take a break once in a while, whether to eat, sit down somewhere more comfortable and maybe watch tv, or think about what just happened in the game. Though I'm capable of taking long-term breaks, I really don't like them, and usually it's not my choice, like when my graphics card bursts into flames and I have to wait 3 - 5 days for a new one to be delivered.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 12:30PM Vladimyr said

Then again, I did cancel WoW once to concentrate on classes, but then lost interest in it altogether and never resubbed.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 1:30PM EvaliaMagic said

This of course would be much, much easier if they made subscriptions a bit more flexible - I'm waisting half a month's subscription if I decide that I'm sick of WoW two weeks into the payment cycle. Options for shorter payment cycles at perhaps a slightly higher rate would ultimately be better - I'd pay $5 a week vs $15 for a whole month because I know I won't want to keep playing that long.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 1:31PM Cendres said

I play too many mmos and games in general to ever get bored. I also don't ever reach cap level or ever have any gear that's up to date.... lol! Okay don't listen to me. :p

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 2:30PM (Unverified) said

I understand and to a degree, agree with the mentality, but it's not a fix, cure, or solution.

I think the heart of the matter is what players want or expect. I expect to find a game that has a look and feel I love, with good immersion in the way of many buildings I can go in, and a lot of up an down(tall towers and mountains to climb, or deep dungeons to descend into).

There may be particulars based on what MMORPG, but for the most part, after the above:

After that, I make my own fun.

Players are getting burnt out because they want instant gratification and they want it to be given to them, like being handed an epic award winning book. MMORPGs are set up for so many ways of play and primarily for the player to "write" their own epic novel.

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 8:52PM mysecretid said

There's another way.

I usually have two MMORPGs on the go; typically, they're as different from one another as possible (say, Champions Online and Age of Conan).

People think it's extravagant, and that I have loads of money to burn doing this. I don't. I actually _save_ money in the end because, with two games I like, I buy far less one-off console-type games at $60 apiece in any given month.

If you're starting to feel burned out on the one game? Switch to the other for a while.

Of course, this doesn't work well for loot-lusting players, who define how much fun they're having only by how well they're keeping up with their friends and enemies -- but if you personally don't sweat this aspect of gameplay, this is an alternative cure for MMORPG burnout.