Posted: Dec 8th 2009 8:07AM archipelagos said

Dark water + something swimming about that you can't make out = me terrified. I remember those bits in the original Half-Life with the fish aliens, used to take me absolutely forever to force myself to do those sections, needless to say I panicked and died a lot.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 8:19AM Scuffles said

I guess I'm sorta with you on that, tho the last time hat happened to me it was when I first played through bluestinger.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 1:39PM (Unverified) said

I actually had the same unnnatural and irrational fear of deep water. Even in games, when you had to swim deep underwater and all audio was subdued due to being so deep down, it'd knot up my gut. Ironically though, it was actually doing those things more that eventually made it go away.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 12:29PM (Unverified) said

For some reason talking rodents freak me out.

The Shugo's who are the trader "faction" in Aion scare the crap out of me all the time.

Once you go Shugo... kekekekekek

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 8:18AM Scuffles said

The thought of ever paying a monthly subscription again -shudders-

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 8:19AM (Unverified) said

Dark water is a good one. Yeah I don't like that either.

A couple of games have produced the heights fear a bit. Fallout 3 is last I can remember, wandering over those satellite towers and thin little scaffoldings really kinda made me a little antsy while playing.

As for giant spiders? I blame Shelob.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 8:45AM Thac0 said

Being asked to kill "X amount of boars" causes a visceral reaction in me! It makes me want to break my computer.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 9:06AM Dezyne said

They aren't really a concern in RPGs or MMOs but small jumpy creatures always make my pulse quicken. Specifically Head Crabs from HL and Face Huggers From AvP. TR actually had the different mites that would sneak up on you in packs so I guess even that game had something similar. These monsters always make me panic just a little.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 9:12AM AlamoeJones said

Actually, you hit the nail on the head with the giant spiders. I hate spiders of all kinds, giant or otherwise!

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 9:18AM (Unverified) said

Doom 3.
Seriously - I've never leapt out of my chair so high. And in this case, it was due to a simple steam-pipe bursting as I entered a room.
Let alone all the other dark and scary sections of the game.
Played in the dark with your surround system turned to 11 was a harrowing but worthwhile experience =)

But overall, I'm with Tron on the Headcrabs from the HL series.
I'm currently playing through HL2:Ep2, and there's not many of them in the game, but when they *do* appear, I feel myself backing away physically in my chair lol.

Especially the black ones.
Get them off me! Argh!

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 1:12PM Magius said

Fallout 3 radroaches... WHAT?! Don't laugh... they caused the end of the world you know?
Honestly, every time I heard the ruffling of their insect wings in-game...

But it pisses me off so much to have that kind of reaction to a freaking bug, giant or not, that I end up trying to stomp or shoot the hell out of them.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 9:37AM Aganazer said

Nowadays, not much gets a reaction out of me. The closest thing is probably invisible or incorporeal enemies that are difficult to hit like the spectres, wraiths and other undead from D&D.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 9:50AM Scuffles said

Does nobody carry ghost touch weapons, they aren't even expensive ~.~

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 12:56PM Tanek said

A ghost touch weapon and Muckbane are with my characters at all times. Just in case. :) Before I had Muckbane, oozes got a pretty good reaction from me. Although I wasn't so much afraid of them as I was afraid for my armor, weapons, and bank account.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 3:03PM Aganazer said

I had one of these along for all time after my first encounter and raping that ensued.

Phase Hammer - (Weapon) +3 Maul, Incorporeal Bane, Ghost Touch, Adamantine

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 9:50AM (Unverified) said

Spiders in Dark Messiah. But headcrabs take the prize. I was fooling around with a black crab in Gary's Mod, when it spasmed and clamped onto my face. I literally screamed.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 10:57AM (Unverified) said

Well, falling off of great hights really makes my stomach turn.
Standing at the ledge, looking down is all fine, but when forced to jump down (and in mmo's this is common stuff, but when you take a game like, say, Assassin's Creed, it really get's to me) I really have this 'oh my gooooood' feeling. Not that it's a bad feeling, but nevertheless...

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 12:32PM Serious Table said

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this. Falling from heights really makes my stomach turn for some reason, even when they're FAKE heights! I can only imagine what skydiving would do to me. >_

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 10:27AM Cendres said

Ghosts. Watching Poltergeist when I was little was a seriously bad idea (baaad parents!! :/) Anytime there are creepy ghosts or hauntings in a game I have to really make myself go through but my heart rate is way, way up!

I could only do the hotel level in Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines once, I use the fly through walls cheat after that and I don't replay the game more just because of that one level. even though it's a great game.

Can't say MMOs causes a reaction in me like this, ever. Not yet anyway.

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 10:30AM Cendres said

Wait I lie, the Halloween events and the haunted houses in Eq2 do the trick! Stupid zombie that jumps in your face!!