Posted: Dec 6th 2009 8:24AM Platypus Man said

Quite some time before Tabula Rasa was canceled, I had taken a break. The guild I was in had imploded under the strain of drama queens and their bruised egos, and I needed another scene for a while. When I came back a month or so later, however, it was like a ghost town. Not only were the members of my old guild gone, but other guilds that we had done a bunch of events with were gone as well. Many days it seemed like me and a couple hundred NPC soldiers screaming "Taste the rainbow, bitch!" and "If you're not shooting, you'd better be out of ammo" against the Bane.

In contrast, City of Heroes is a game that doesn't seem to have the same problem -- at least, not on the Virtue server. When I go back on occasion, there's always folks around.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 8:50AM jlong64 said

I revisitied Star Wars Galaxies less than a year ago. I had left shortly after the NGE hit. Too say the changes were very much evident is an understatement.
Many of the guilds I knew and had gamed with and against were gone. Many of the gamers had changed as well. So much empty territory. also many of the "old" gathering spots are empty as well.
Yes the Graphics are dated as is the gameplay, but it is still the only Star Wars MMO going (Right now anyway).

Sad to see the lady in this shape.

NhojGnol (Chilastra)

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 9:31AM (Unverified) said

I go back to eq2 every now and again... All the noobs are now leet players of raiding guilds with mythical weapons, all my old friends either moved on or separated into the far cornors of the game due to drama. Old guilds populated with same people, different voices/names or else just left empty with that one guy who never left, just logging in to level up another alt. Normally you just find a new bunch of players... It's never the same though. People know what the score is, they know the game and a lot of the excitement is gone. It's no longer an exploration and journey but a checklist of quest timelines and heroic dungeons to power level you on your way. No longer a rush to the top but a fleeting effort to copy the has-beens that have long emigrated off the server. All that's left are those that never quite reached the top, power recruiting in hopes that with enough people with some 80s and good raid gear to counter the crapiness that you might be able to farm the old raid zones, gearing out new members and trying desperately to follow the ill readable instructions the pros scribbled down in their spare time. Some succeed. Most just lay the path of gearing out new players with potential to join hard core guilds. Let's face it. If you want to build a guild that will reach top raiding? You can't start off with open doors. The bad players don't leave, the good ones do. I'm glad i'm not wasting my life any more in trance like devotion to toxic replays of a game well worn out it's time. Still, nothing like nostalgia

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 10:11AM (Unverified) said

If you log into Warhammer Online at the right times in T2-T3 you can feel alone when nobody is on chat and the Scenarios don't pop. Luckily the Advice channel lets you know there are still idiots around.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 10:43AM Dumac said

All hail the Advice channel

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 10:48AM Miffy said

It's always the level based games with linear worlds that become empty.

Play EVE or SWG Pre CU or Planetside and their worlds always had people in even the oldest zones.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 3:16PM (Unverified) said

There are zones that are empty in WOW, so I agree "level based games with linear worlds" games do have this problem more than games like EVE, etc.

However, EVE has empty systems out in 0.0 and some low-sec but that's usually a good thing. ;)

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 11:47AM Wisdomandlore said

I predict that LOTRO will be a ghost town in a month or two. Not because no one is playing, but because everyone is inside Skirmishes and other private instances.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 11:58AM Pingles said

Logged in to Dark Age of Camelot and headed to Shrouded Isles and was stunned to see NOBODY around. Heartbreaking.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 12:51PM (Unverified) said

I know! Everyone is always using the damn catacombs quick task dungeons. I miss our vastly populated world :( DAoC was really something.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 2:43PM CCon99 said

I have a sub to both CoX and CO. I feel like there are more people playing on CoX's Virtue server then there are playing on CO's universal server.

Posted: Dec 7th 2009 10:22AM (Unverified) said

Yup, I second that sentiment. I'm a Justice server guy on CoX, and it's rather dead these days. But the old faithful are always around, no matter how many times I leave and resub. The awesome community is why that game is still kicking!

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 7:24PM Graill440 said

I revisit nothing, and it is never lonely. The market puts out to much trash on a monthly basis and sifting through that trash, well, one might find something valuable, but nothing to date, almost but not quite.

I give nothing a second chance. You lie to me, you take my money, we are done, unless i meet you inperson then we might not be done. I am just that way. While i may be in a slightly better situation than most i still feel ripped when things that could have been prevented are not, like devs simply lying.

That old addage still rings true today, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. 15 years ago it was def shame on me alot, i wised up.

But then a good portion of folks are lemmings or weak minded and/or gluttons for punishment for whatever reason, best of luck to them and keep that entertainment rolling in.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 10:26PM (Unverified) said

What a sad, unhappy little man/woman you must be.

Sadly, your comment had absolutely nothing to do with the post beyond the first sentence. The rest was a sad, bitter self-agrandizement that I think was typed much more to reassure yourself that you're awesome than to remind us of the same thing. I think it backfired.

Since "Nostalgia" is obviously not in your vocabulary, I'll define it for you.

Nostalgia:
1 : the state of being homesick : homesickness
2 : a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition.

I think this is the perfect word for this, especially the 2nd definition. "Irrecoverable condition" As much as we miss our old "home" games, going back, it can never, and will never be the same again. I often resub to old games i've played. I look at them more like sight-seeing trips to "places" I've been moreso than a chance to relive the glories of the past.

Its bittersweet though. The more I resub and revisit, the more I'm unhappy with what I have today. But, I've found me a new game that I'm loving. Fallen Earth. It, for me, has that feel I miss from todays games. I WANT to be in this game, I want to see whats over the next hill. That takes precedence over everything in an MMO to me.

Posted: Dec 19th 2009 2:39AM (Unverified) said

Pssh I'm afraid to even see what my old Eq1 is like, all my chars were on PvP servers and since the populations died they merged all the servers but also deleted inactive accounts. So even if I wanted to go back and see I'm SOL because of SOE. Well unless I wanted to call a 800 number and be put on hold forever, no thanks eq1 will stay where it is a fond memory/addiction/love-child*cough* errm what? *cough*