Posted: Dec 4th 2009 8:45PM (Unverified) said

The problem has and will always be that the game did NOT make a good transition from 2d to 3d. They took a game that was anime cute and made it ugly 3d wish-I-was cute. The character models are ugly and they defiled the classes. The game doesn't have the same soul that RO1 has and its evident in EVERY single video. The sad thing is that some of the ideas they had for RO2 was good. The Equipment system is ingenious and could be a lot of fun if combined with a good class system.

But really RO should have stayed 2d, they should have just updated the sprites to KOFXII or Blazblue style. They would have kept there huge and avid fanbase and won over some new ones with a crisper style.

Give me RO1 classes/skills, RO2 equipment system, WoW quest with WAR tracking, WAR Public quest and Lotro's skirmish system and you have my soul. Hell I played RO1 from when it was in alpha wayyy back in 2000 and played it off and on all the way until last year. Love that game.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 9:04PM DevilSei said

They wouldn't be able to create the same quality sprites such as Blazblue's though. There is a major difference. The game is designed to be played isometrically, so they'd have to hand draw every angle of the character while he is sitting, moving, emoting, whatever. Besides, imagine if there were 50 sprites of that caliber if it was possible, all moving and doing something. Hell, Odin Sphere and its Wii cousin Muramasa: The Demon Blades, are all hand-drawn sprites, and the game slows down on the consoles if there's more than several enemies on screen, or fighting a certain spider-like b***h who rules the underworld.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 9:13PM toychristopher said

This game wasn't created by the same people who created original RO and thus won't work.

I am honestly at a loss for what I love about Ragnarok Online. I mean if I look at it objectively it is just an awful, grindy game with almost no features. I still loved it though.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 9:16PM (Unverified) said

Yea but thats also the wii we're talking about. A decent PC wouldn't have the same issues. Not to mention they've come a long way in the use of sprites. There's ways to have computer generated sprites, though technically there not sprites, but they look like it.

Not to mention there's more unique animations in one character of blazblue then all of RO1 (most likely). Its not like they have animations of skills linking together, each atk/skill is one unique animation, then add the fact that alot of skills reuse animations.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 10:05PM DevilSei said

True Sol, but part of Blazblue's style is the fluidity that each character has in their moves, which is why its so easy for you to do combos that look cool, when you have little understanding of the game. That in itself involves a bloody good chunk of work. People forgive the old sprites for jagged actions and jumps, but they expect more detailed and fluid animations now if you are going to use them, else its just a cop-out.
And I doubt a decent PC could handle the situation I purposed, yes the Wii and PS2 are somewhat old, games like Shadow of the Colossus pushed the system to the very edge graphically, and to have it run at the same speed as the console on a computer, you'd still need a good setup for it.

Now throw in sprites of Blazblue's caliber, you'll also have to make sure the background matches (and if you haven't ever noticed, Blazblue lags online as it loads the stage up right til the counter hits 0 and the fight starts, then runs good). if you have highly detailed sprites on plain and basic backgrounds, people are going to hate on it right off the bat.

Now if you can design a game that offers such details, runs well even on my old laptop, suffers no lag, and has a background that doesn't look like it was ripped out of every other "ragnarok-styled" game, I'll gladly believe, but I honestly doubt all of that is possible. Besides, we are talking about a F2P game from 2007, probably before Gravity had any real experience with 3D (since Requiem is a nicely done game graphically), give it a break.

And Toy, the only reason I ever played RO was cause it was on one of the thousands of private servers, and friends talked me into it, and since I had only dial up and no money for a better comp, better internet, or WoW, it was the only choice. I honestly couldn't stand the game. I had several alts all between 50-70, but once I hit 71 the grind just became too much for me.

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 1:24AM DFuzzy1 said

Ragnarok Online was my MMO gateway :D And my sister's been playing it for the past couple of years. She probably has more friends in her guild than in real life.

I'm not sure what it is about RO that makes it so fun. Secret of the Solstice was pretty similar, but that got boring real quick. Maybe it's all the little things, from the cool soundtrack to the open-ended world to the simple cute 2D graphics.

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 1:38AM (Unverified) said

Wow just...wow...love how people complain about character models. Saying .."They took a game that was anime cute and made it ugly 3d wish-I-was cute. The character models are ugly and they defiled the classes"

Im just going to say this once ragnarok: Online does not have good character models...(note it has nothing to do with 2d vs 3d) The quality of 2d was average at most character models...where nothing special.

People who believe the 2nd one looks better then 3d one....are just stuck in the past.

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 3:08AM Jaimie said

I'd rather play the game that the RO2 dev team left to work on, Lime Odyssey. I honestly don't see how RO2 will be ready for a 2010 release.

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 5:17AM Dranaerys said

Another asian grindfest, yawn, pass. Next!

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 2:53PM (Unverified) said

too little too late. game looks completely dated compared to the current korean grindfest of aion, tera, and blade and soul. waste of time and money for them to even release it in the west now, what little interest there was in 2007 is gone by now.

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 3:50PM ultimateq said

Finally indeed. I've played the first one, though not in-depth. I've had friend's who swear by it. I may give them a call and give them the good news.

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance