Posted: Dec 4th 2009 5:34PM (Unverified) said

I think this will just not work.

Just because the secret of Second Life is FREEDOM. The 'laissez-faire" policy of Second Life at it's beginning gave total freedom to the resident to create a virtual Universe. This is the blood and life of SL, and these small homes will very quickly have the smell of a (luxury) penitential colony.
Think Portmerion, and beware, Number Six will revolt !

If Linden Lab wants to revitalize premium accounts, they just have to give us little more L$ for it that we would have by buying them, and let us free to spend them.

I spend around 50 US$ per month in Second Life, and I'm not Premium, never was, and never will to live into a place forced to me. But if I can see that Premium is not financial farce, I would be very happy to pay it for, and for a long time, because I love SL... as long as it can be my world, my imagination, and not my money, Linden Lab's imagination.

^_^

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 5:51PM vinemt said

I think this is a great idea. The parcel I'm paying for is surrounded by red no fly zone fences and giant rotating sale cubes. It's a crap deal and it looks like crap. I have to teleport to go anywhere.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 5:57PM (Unverified) said

...additional to what?

This looks more like a move to get rid of fragmented mainland parcels. Other than that, with these new specifications, it would just mean a downgrading of the aleady existing "first land". These parcels actually are already pretty useless. Try and rezz a wig...

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 9:02PM (Unverified) said

The First Land program ceased to exist in February 2007: http://www.m.secondlifeinsider.com/2007/02/20/first-land-program-passes-into-history/

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 8:28PM (Unverified) said

hmmm... your world your imagination sort of ends up as our world with no imagination...

I'm really fed up of LL jumping on populist bandwagons to try to get some of the "revenue" again. They provide the world... leave the other stuff to people to create and make and enjoy.

There are plenty of estates already in sl that provide this type of service, why does LL need to offer this? There are many more options that they could utilise to make premium membership more desirable. But stepping on people's toes is what the labs do best!

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 1:23PM (Unverified) said

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

Some users may be "fed up" of Linden Lab, but many others trust Linden Lab much more than any other private land renters.

Also, some users have a lot of "imagination" and create by themselves their own house and furniture - I'm one of them. But many others don't, and their needs are way different than creators' and power-users' ones: an offer based on nice-looking and safe (if boring and feature-limited) places makes sense for them.

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 1:14AM (Unverified) said

This reminds me of the housing addition sims that they built, what, three years ago? that remained deserted for ages. Who wants to be limited to a 512 anyway?

Not much of an incentive.

P2

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 2:22AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

You know SL has come of age when they start building public housing/tenaments on 512 parcels. Yep, wonderful 108 prim plots of land with a low quality build taking up who knows.... nost of those?

Yep, Linden Lab are now officially SLum Lords.

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 4:55AM (Unverified) said

At the moment we all know there is little value / incentive in going Premium, hence the steady decline. This is LL's attempt at reversing that trend, its aim seems to be to get more people into land ownership and possibly increasing long term user retention.

You say "There are many more options that they could utilise to make premium membership more desirable.", what would be your plan?

I appreciate, and this appears to be the concern of most on the LL discussion blog, that this will compete with existing offerings from estate and land owners.

As the plans stand users will get a house PLUS 117 prims, that's more than a standard 512m parcel so appears to have a higher value, why would I move to a plot with less prims? I suggest this is revised to 117 MINUS house prims to make it a more even playing field. I would also remove more of the parcel abilities from the LL Home land user. Abilities like Media control, ban lines etc should all be disabled.
Part of this idea is to make this a simple introduction, so less abilities equals less confusion.

For this program to work, I think there has to be a very close look at the value proposition of this offering. For me this "free offer" has to be of a low enough value to make offerings by current estate and land owners have a value that the new premium user will aspire too.

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 1:02PM (Unverified) said

Ewww.

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 7:39PM (Unverified) said

@ Tateru - Wow, didn’t' think it was so long ago. Anyways, that didn't make existing parcels go poof, did it :-). In fact I've advertised mine in my profile pics for ages:
FOR SALE:
beautiful piece of land
virtually endless: 512 m²
premium lag
from two sides embraced by cute ban lines
The parcel supports the incredible number of
117 !!! primitives.
That means you can even rezz one boot if you choose to delete your home. AND !!! ...
it is up to you whether you rezz a left or a right boot.
.............................................................................................
(To be honest, conditions change slightly on an ... uhm ... hourly basis, but I can guarantee constant undiminished ugliness.)

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 8:52PM (Unverified) said

Hey..free is free. I'll take another 512. I do wonder about the pic that Tateru included, however...but her post notes that we won't be next to the neighbors.

But if we do get ticky-tack houses, I will become the TERROR OF LEVITTOWN :)

Anyone up for some "Blue Velvet" RP?

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 6:32AM (Unverified) said

Alas, it's not an *extra* 512. It's the 512 that's already included. (You don't get any extra square-metreage out of it).

The image is from one of the previous house-land promotions. Linden Lab have had several as premium account incentives before.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 10:19AM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the clarification!

Linden Lab giveth...

I'll keep the 512 I already have--I combined it with another 512 and my neighbors not only are nice but mildly amused by the crazy-man next door.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 12:19PM (Unverified) said

The preference of people to rent than buy is mainly due to the huge price differential for large land vs small. A 512 via premium account costs you $6 a month on annual account. Pay for a full sim worth of mainland tier with group bonus, and it works out to $1.38. Tossing in a free house and a nice neighborhood will attract a few people at the margin, but that's a huge price differential to overcome.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 2:59PM (Unverified) said

Again, there is till no incentive to switch to a premium account. Until LL gets it, premium accounts will continue to decline. In the old days LL actually paid people to advertise their premium service. I'm sure some of you remember the Refer-a-friend program? Each time people would switch to a premium account by using your link, you would get up to L$1500. Unfortunately the program was broken for over a year and LL refused to take the link down as it was given them free advertising. The point that I'm trying to make? Until LL increases the true value of a premium account, people with premium accounts will finally figure out that they're actually getting ripped off!

Posted: Dec 8th 2009 3:36PM (Unverified) said

Welcome to Tranquility Lane! ;)

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 9:41AM (Unverified) said

Great, so the 512 I use towards my current parcel will be re-allocated to this useless one and my tier will jump from 15 to 25$ a month. Nice job lindenz.

If I remember correctly one of the suggestions that gained some traction when we were last queried about what would make premium more valuable was the implimentation of a finer grained tier rate (ie., x$ per 512m rather that the big jumps).

Posted: Dec 9th 2009 9:57AM (Unverified) said

Only if you choose to take up the offer, as I understand it.