Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 8:35AM (Unverified) said

Generally i'm a positive person that enjoys this site primarily for its news gathering. Most mmo's I've played for more that a couple days I have enjoyed. The others I don't have any malice against, I just didn't click with them; except one....

I read an article last night on IGN entitled "Massively Multiplayer Mutiny" where the author was talking primarily about the evolution of the genre. In that piece he happens to cheekily omit swg from his small list of current sci-fi games. I just couldn't help but laugh. I'm one of the thousands of players that still hold a grudge against SOE for the NGE, and it gives me a lil retribution each time I read a professional writer take a jab at them.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 8:57AM Wisdomandlore said

I would rather see "balanced" news. A lot of the times you guys post OVERWHELMINGLY positive articles about certain games (*cough* Champions *cough* Alganon *cough*), failing to give any kind of constructive look at the game's pros and cons. You've actually gotten a little better since the launch of Aion, but a lot of times it seems like this site is just another cog in the hype machine.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 9:26AM (Unverified) said

I really love this site, it has its own dedicated tab in firefox, but I can't help but agree. It's not a blanket thing at all, but a lot of times it just feels like a tidal wave of hype lol. I'm not one of those people that get upset when a game gets a lot of press here or anything, the more crap for me to read the better...i just wish it would refrain from the OMG GUISE JEBUS DIED FOR THIS GAME mentality.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 11:24AM Anatidae said

I like the balanced news too.

There have been some great articles coming out of Massively lately. They do sometimes get buried in the copy-paste news bulletins which seem to be more like marketing drool from developers. But I always take them with a grain of salt.

The one thing is, when a game does release, it seems Massively gets overly positive, like mentioned above, and then more objective after the game has been out for a while. I am curious if the developers sway the writing staff with beta keys and special "perks". Or maybe it is just the excitement of a new game. But I get sucked up by new games too with hope...

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 3:13PM (Unverified) said

I think one of the problems is that there's not enough distinction between articles and editorials. It's hard to start digging into a piece of news only to find out it's a personal reaction instead of a report.

There's not much that can be done about this, perhaps except to segment out the articles visually, which doesn't work for the blog-style flow of the site.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 9:12AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
It depends on whether or not I think the company is filled with scumsucking leeches and to the degree with which I think they are.

Example: I neither play Fallen Earth nor Champions Online. I like good news about Fallen Earth and bad about Champions Online.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 10:36AM Firebreak said

I think that is a pretty normal reaction. I feel the same way about games and there relationship with there parent companies.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 9:22AM (Unverified) said

Balance is the key with all news articles i believe. But i think there is a certain satisfaction in seeing a game you have never played but took an instant dislike to doing not so well, i think thats just human nature....
As for being a positive or negative person, im not sure what i am, im the kind of person who wants to be proved wrong when it comes to mmorpgs.
If a game comes out surrounded by huge hype and lives at least partially up to that hype even if i never play the game itself i still feel a measure of respect for the developers and follow the news about it on massively as i would for the game im currently subscribing to.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 10:28AM (Unverified) said

I enjoy both, I like upbeat stories that remind me why I love this hobby ... but only if they're honest.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 10:11AM elocke said

Positive! If I want negative, I can go watch or read every other type of news site/program out there. Far too much nastiness in the world today, hence why I escape with video games, therefore I want GOOD news when it comes to games.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 11:02AM Mr Angry said

Take a wild guess......

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 1:00PM (Unverified) said

Depends on the game.

WoW, Aion, WAR: the more bad news, the "happier" I am. I'm a terrible person, I know.

Everything else (except for a certain few awesome games), doesn't matter.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 1:07PM (Unverified) said

*double post*... or whatever you want to call it. I forgot to add in the the first messege.

I'm surprised at all the 'hate' towards Champions Online. I generally see this towards games that where overhyped. CO wasn't really hyped by anyone other than this site. A lot of people I know have never heard of it while they masturbate all over Aion or some other MMO...

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 1:36PM (Unverified) said

Sakura Park

Among other reasons.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 3:18PM (Unverified) said

My hate towards CO is all about how the primary way to hype the game was to shove its only competitor and estranged big brother CoH into the mud. It's like how Mac ads piss off PC users.

I know it's a competitive market, but as a consumer, I didn't appreciate that approach. Launch your game, talk it up on its own merit, and if it was better than CoH I would have been more than excited to move across the aisle.

Turned out on top of that it wasn't my type of game.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 1:24PM Its Utakata stupid said

Those two pictured are fighting over a game of backgammon? I didn't know nerd rage was that ancient.

...anyways, I prefer good news. Though that doesn't happen too often. :(

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 1:59PM (Unverified) said

I'm pretty sure the people who frequent this site like the bad new more than the good.
That's what I've seen that causes the most chatter.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 2:23PM J Brad Hicks said

I would prefer that it be un-hyped, either way. If Massively has an editorial bias, it's clearly way too gullible about new games. Coverage of upcoming or very new releases could stand a bit more critical scrutiny. Doubt me on this? Go back and look at your earliest articles on Tabula Rasa. Or your current coverage of Fallen Earth.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 5:21PM (Unverified) said

I understand why this site and many others tend to push positive stories. I understand that what we often get here are (slightly) re-written press releases. That's okay. I'm smart enough to understand how the world works. If you say too many negative things about an MMO they won't do interviews or send you exclusives or send you 1,000 beta keys and whatnot. You don't want to bite the hand that feeds you, and that's fine with me. I'm a big boy and smart enough to make up my own mind. With free trials and open betas, it's easy enough to try a game and make up your own mind about it.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 1:33AM cray said

I don't look for positive or negative news, but rather informative news. I want to learn something every time I read an article. I don't like reading articles where I'm being preached or reminded of what we already know.

I do enjoy the editorials as long as I feel like something can be learned/gained from such discussions.

As for Massively's abundance of enthusiasm for certain games like EVE, AION, or CHAMPIONS ONLINE, it doesn't bother me as much as it does other readers because I don't see it as slight to other games I might enjoy. I can't expect a blog that covers the entire MMO industry cater to my particular enthusiasm.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014