Posted: Dec 4th 2009 4:53AM Dread said

• 1 heart
You complete me!

I was going through the list of MMO's 'eligible' for each question and was reminded how craptastic 2009 was for new MMO's. Aion sucked absolute dogs balls, the only MMO I have ever canceled a pre-order for, but compared to the rest of those stinkers its no wonder it gets the best of 2009 at the same time as the worst of 2009.

Apart from STO 2010 looks like its going to suck as well.....well...I'll be playing Mirkwood and probably have a stab at Cataclysm when it eventually comes out so new iterations of old favorites will be the standouts for 2010 I reckon.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 3:16PM (Unverified) said

Aion getting lots of top scores and being the biggest disappointment of the year says a lot about the lack of quality MMO's this year

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 3:28PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
it's sad aion is the best mmo of the year but it is also getting biggest disapointment of the year. and honestly where is wow in this poll? best of the year for sure. also it's probably my most antisipated with cataclysm on the horizon.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 4:15PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Do not play Aion. They did not live up to promises that the grind would go away. Its a crappy grind-fest with above average graphics but a grind fest none the less. It had such promise but as usual NCSoft does not do what it says it will re: grind will go away and you can quest to cap. There also seems to be more bots than players reporting them just gets more bots online. Items go missing from your inventory and there is no customer support to replace them. Open a ticket? LOL this one will have you banging your head to a bloody pulp. There is no content despite the many times promised content, there is no real engrossing story line again contrary to promises. It just seems the NA/EU release was nothing more than a money grab, as the asian markets will never complain about anything they think grinding is playing. When they speak all you hear is baaaaa...baaaaa.... (sheep) lol. Stay in a proven game with fun and some challenge written into it. Aions idea of hardcore is you spending all your in game money to make one (yes one) of an item at crafting. Sometimes in the millions of units of their version of money = Kinah. Their idea of hardcore is you facing 4+ players 5+ levels higher than you ganking you for hours on end. Or doing repeatable quests over and over and over to level cause there are no other quests. And yes they did tell people they could quest to cap, they just meant doing a repeat ad infinitum for 12k xp a pop even though the level your are trying to get through is about 3million points.

Sorry for the wall of text , but anyone who thinks Aion as it stands is the release of the year , has some serious mental issues.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 4:34PM (Unverified) said

After looking at the various polls, it's clear that 2009 sucked for MMOs. Looking at the list for 2010 is disappointing as well...

I really hope SWTOR or GW2 launches next year.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 4:53PM Dumac said

Oddly designed polls with odd choices.

In fact the whole thing about it is that in order have unbiased votes, you would have to have played every listed game, which surely no one hasn't. That alone makes the poll results biased. You can only vote for those games you have played, or whose media coverage you have followed very closely, and the result of this is that the game with the most subscribers, and most hype, is going to win in every poll, whatever the polls subject is, and no matter the "real truth" is. Hence Aion winning everywhere including the biggest disappointment one. The polls are completely useless.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 5:41PM (Unverified) said

Champions is definitely the biggest disappointment to me. All kinds of potential, with Atari dropping the ball by rushing Cryptic. DDO going free to play has been a blessing and a curse. A whole group of new players have added to the possibility the game will survive, while a lot of those same new players wish the game played more like WoW...

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 6:34PM joriandrake said

• 1 heart
oh God, you can't be serious

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 5:50PM jmerriex said

I'm actually playing LotRO right now since Siege of Mirkwood just went live this week. I am keeping a close eye on Fallen Earth. I think that game has a lot of potential, but I am a BIG sandbox fan.

Champions Online was a lot of fun this weekend and I'll be heading back there as soon as I get my Minstrel to 65 in LotRO.

DDO has actually gotten a LOT better after going F2P. There are always people to group with and level up with. I just don't particular care for their character models so I don't play it much.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 7:54PM (Unverified) said

I don't even play CoH or WoW. But shouldn't Blizzard and Paragon be up there? There's some real stinkers up there.

But really all this list does is drive home how depressing it's been for MMOs this year. I'm happy for Fallen Earth's success. But outside of that, wow talk about a wasteland. Oh well, at least non-MMO games didn't disappoint this year.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 8:31PM jmerriex said

The poll is for *NEW* games only so WoW and CoX weren't on the list.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 6:24AM Zeliath said

NCsoft is not the best MMO Studio of 2009. Aion might look aesthetically pleasing but the game has flaws, NCsoft have the worst customer support I have ever come across and they do not focus on the customer.

Also best launch LOL? Im guessing everyone didn't play at peak times where you had to wait hours to play the game.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 10:29PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Fallen Earth is the best MMO of 2009.

Aion has more votes just because has more players. That bunch of ignorant newbies who play Aion have voted blindly.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 11:58PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Fallen Earth best? While everyone has their likes and dislikes, I've played Fallen Earth and while I wish the devs well, the game is just terrible. Horrible interface, low quality 1990's graphics that made me queasy after playing only an hour every time I played (although I never had any of the lag everyone else complains about) and combat so boring I didn't want to even log in. Good ideas, good guys behind the game, but really bad game. I expect once Earthrise is released it will put FE out of its misery.

Mind you, if FE switched to a decent graphics engine, hired a professional interface designer and came up with interesting combat..... I'd be happy to support them. As it is now I wouldn't even play FE if it was totally free.

As to the polls, for so many of those I wanted a "none of the above" option. :D

Needed a poll called "Yet another fun game ruined by their parent company" and then have the only option as Free Realms (SOE). I mean, while many of the games listed have problems, lacked content, were released too soon, were so popular they attracted the bots/gold sellers, etc.; Sony seems to be the only company that took a fun, mostly working game with lots of content, and then ruined it for the most part while driving away the people that did enjoy it. Guess that is what they do.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 12:29AM (Unverified) said

You are talking about another Fallen Earth. The Fallen Earth that i've played since that release, has FEW BUGS, it's one of the best MMO i ever seen since the release. Maybe did you tried it in beta?

- Fallen Earth has a good interface. It's not bad just because it's not similar to WoW, and the interface is not all anyway.
- It's open world.
- Hitboxes are very good, and there are 6 FACTIONS.
- The horizon is very impressive.
- Any item and town has a different skin.

F.E. is original, it's not another banal chinese MMO. Aion is just another boring WoW-clone.

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 5:45PM ryanthered said

Yeah, I pretty much agree with Wade above. If you look at the game from a high level, it's pretty much just a gathering and crafting game. Combat/quests are pointless after a while as the underlying "story" is almost non-existent. By the time you're at the level cap there's pretty much nothing to do besides PvP with the other five people around. There's some good ideas in there for sure but the boring combat, drab landscapes/models, lack of endgame, no way to reassign skillpoints, and bad economy can't exist in a "game of the year".

Posted: Dec 10th 2009 10:23PM (Unverified) said

You are just denigrating the game.

Drab landscapes? True, but it's normal. You can't expect green forests, gay elves and birds chirping in a post-apocalictic world, expecially in a canion, where the land is dry, and the predominant color is brown. It's called realism.

Lack of endgame? Darkfall and Aion have a terrible endgame compared with Fallen Earth.
Fallen Earth has been release just 2 months ago, Darkfall has been released... 6-7 months ago? I don't remember exacly. And what about Aion? His PvE and endgame is just grinding.

I remember the Darkfall release (i was there the first day), and i remember the journal for quests... that was very RIDICOLOUS. It was a window made by 12 year old kids.
Fallen Earth UI is much better.

No way to respec? We'll see.

Bad economy? Ahahah... THERE ARE NO GOLD SELLERS.

Buy Fallen Earth, it's the best MMO of 2009.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 1:22AM Ariolander said

Seriously Aion #1 in every category?! You guys suck.

Also CCP Games for dev of the year solely for their HTFU rap/video and fanfest.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 5:20AM (Unverified) said

I can honestly say Fallen Earth is one of the most exciting games I have played in a long time. I will admit it is not for everyone. It doesn't hold your hand and lead you thru the game like most. It forces you to actually explore and learn the game. Doing so is rewarding both in game and fun wise. Everything does take some getting used to. But not because it is poorly designed, because it is truly unique. The dev's are quick to respond to complaints and every patch so far has directly addressed player complaints and problems. It's wonderful to play a game where you can see your feedback reacted to. I will admit the graphics are not the best, but the designs and layouts are top notch. If you want the prettiest game out there with no real content or originality, go play aion. If you want a real game that has original content, doesn't force you into a mindless grind, and offers rewards no matter how you choose to play, go with Fallen Earth. Best mmo of 2009 hands down in my book

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 7:55AM Temko said

Best PvP Aion~?~

wtf have been people doing, hiding under a bloody rock?

the ONLY pvp game out is Darkfall atm.
that said: thats the only catagory the game should win in.

Choose My Adventure: Firefall as it stands