Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 9:34AM (Unverified) said

I like the achievement system in general, since they provide other objectives to pursue rather than leveling or loot. I think it is done fairly well in LoTRO and WoW, and even in GW (except the implementation there has some issues as many titles are grind-a-thons).

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 9:35AM Miffy said

I like achievements as long as I can get every single one when playing. If I'm not able to get one because I didn't go to some event to get it or it's just a one time achievement then I wont bother playing the game. I don't see the point in worrying about achievements if you can't get 100% of them. So if I end up getting 99% of them but can't get that last one cause I didn't go to Blizzcon last year or whatever then it'll just eat away at me too much so I just wont attempt to even play the game anymore.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 9:35AM (Unverified) said

Achievements can be fun if they are about exploring or doing some really illogical and dumb things, but they are more often just "Kill X of Y" where X is a number larger than, or equal to, 1000. It's essentially a bad quest that takes more time to do and without any form of story.

The main problem with achievements is that they have a tendency to become the game rather than some fun little feature you can waste a few minutes trying to do. When the endgame content is raiding and farming for achievements you know somethings wrong. Just like everything else achievements are fun and nice when used correctly and plain horrible when not.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 10:35AM ultimateq said

If I could have a choice, I'd prefer EQ's AA system over a generic achievement system, when it comes to further progression.

The only time I like any achievement system is when it provides something meaningful for my character. Now that does happen, but for the majority of achievements, it's just bragging rights.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 12:13PM (Unverified) said

I'm all for achievements to be used as litmus tests for whether or not I can group with folks. It makes such asshats easily identifiable so that I can know who NOT to group with. :)

I agree Ulitimate Q I liked the AA system. I love being able to turn off the xp grind and just.... WANDER without worrying about outleveling the content.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 1:16PM (Unverified) said

Having experienced WAR and LOTROs achievements I think I like WARs better.

The LOTRO ones with their associated stat boosts have barred me from raiding the entire time I have played the game despite being a good team player with decent survivability/damage etc. I don't grind. If I had that much time to throw away I'd 'grind' some extra cash doing side projects. As the game has expanded and I have gotten more of the achievements the bar for getting into raids has gone up so.. I still have not seen one after two years and stopped trying long ago despite being a theoretical member of a raiding guild.

The LOTRO ones do have some 'lore' attached that can be interesting but it is mostly hidden, the WAR ones were chock-full and seemed to have a lot more 'happenstance' ones where you find some remote clicky or something and get a funny title. That to me is a lot more enjoyable than standing afk while my cat kills grey mobs for hours.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 8:33PM Scarecrowe said

"By now, you've likely heard..."
Not until this article. Haven't heard and don't care. I just don't get that -- and Steam achievements seem pretty pointless. You can't do anything with those, can you? If they provide a buff or something, then they're worthwhile. If the effort isn't too great! ;>

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 1:37AM (Unverified) said

I think he should get an achievement for clearing all achievements.