Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 9:30AM (Unverified) said

I guess if you dont live in the US or EU market then you dont matter, it is a shame that the company behind the statistics decided to have such a limited market view.

One thing about the report the spread of % for mmo's generally have almost the same market share over all the regions. But i dont think anyone is surprised to see consoles holding such a large market share. There is still a perception associated with pc's and mmo play. Consoles largely avoid this by the inherent nature of the device. The details are all in the perception really, like all things though it will slowly change.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 10:05AM Cinnamoon said

@tw34k: Yeah, I'm *sure* this is just some nativist, ethnocentric report, and not that the study was limited in scope due to time, budget, language, legality, and availability of data. Persecution complex much? I guess we should throw a tantrum any time Chinese statistics are shown because they don't include American numbers.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 9:37AM Miffy said

I wish they merged the UK with the US because I'm fed up of every English speaking server being taken over by a country in the EU who all don't wanna speak English.

This is why I hate localizing and I never had this problem pre WoW cause the only MMO company that had good MMOs was SOE. Then they had to go ruin them all forcing our PS and SWG guild to WoW but the guild shut down cause of the EU/US split.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 11:38AM (Unverified) said

Cinnamoon, i get your point but i think you misinterpreted my own point, The actual data collection agency specifies the information under their "International Gamer Survey" and my point was on how this clearly isnt the case based on the data collection. Find me a Chinese data collection on games that claims to be international and ill eat my own hat.

One thing about the actual results of the data show some surprising similarities between the UK and the French with their statistics being almost mirrored. With the US being a dominating force for online and mmo play in comparison it does bode well for the genre, especially with the mmo's market dramatically growing in the past few years.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 12:18PM Dumac said

Go go germany, only 45% for consoles, what a nice surprise.

I would love to see data for South Korea.Pity this research didn't include any. MMOs there would be like 60% of the market, lol

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 12:44PM Vundal said

someone needs to learn to read charts. WOW. its 9% OF 1/5th of us spending. not 1/5.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 3:57PM (Unverified) said

This is a bit misleading because surel PC games should also include MMOS and Portals. Its nice to see that the enitre PC gaming industry is worth between 30% (UK) and 51% (Germany) of the market - making it bigger than any games console.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 5:38PM Dread said

Agreed. MMO's ARE PC Games so should be part of the same piece of pie.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 5:33AM (Unverified) said

"However, it's worth considering that MMO spending is frequently going to be a $15 monthly subscription rather than a $50 one-time purchase -- a significant disparity in terms of overall budget."

What are you trying to say with that? Most games that are not mmo's or online do not even have 2 months of playing fun in them, making MMO's significantly cheaper. One year of MMO playing will cost you 220 EUR/US$ (incl subscription and buying the box). To satisfy an equal amount of interesting and fun in non-online games you will need to buy a new game about every 2 months, making the total cost 300 EUR/US$.

The cost per game might be higher for MMO's but the cost per hour of gameplay is way less

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014