Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 7:56PM Halbard100 said

I really can't wait for this to come out. I haven't played the miniatures but after a friend showed me the Dark Heresy RPG I've been really engrossed by the lore and style of the universe. After getting Dark Crusade when D2D had it for $5 I've been hooked on the thing.

That being said I think style will be what carries this in the eyes of big fans of the IP, and really it could easily be the best M rated MMO out there, though I guess that wouldn't be hard given the competition. Dark, gritty, bloody, are all words that should describe this at launch. Right now I'm a little split, I'm giddy with the fact that we have some model renders to go on, and they really do look cool. At the same time they make me think of a little more realistic Borderlands style of art, which I'm not sure I like or dislike, but I think some back ground shots with character renders in them will quickly nullify any worry I have.

Personally I think that the RPG style is a better move that the potential shooter it could have been. TOR is already showing that cover can be in an MMO and you could do something similar to how DoW2 did. Flanking is another thing that could easily be added and make for some cool dynamic fire fights but with out needed that twitch type of game play. Way the siege engines in WoW, with the reticule ground targeting could be a good way of doing things for say throwing grenades (like the Mohawk grenade >:|). The only thing I really worry about is something like Mythic did, now grant it I like WAR as an MMO, but the initial both factions have the same classes different skins, I really don't think works. With the number of factions a 40kMMO would have that would just be stupid as hell, and I really want for each faction to the really distinct in feel and play style. I've only played DoW:Dark Crusade, but the Necrons were the only faction that really seemed the most unique from the way the other races were. I doubt that there will be the ability to be a Grey Knight, I mean seriously, so outside of that, I really couldn't care what classes were offered under the races themselves.

Space fighting, vehicles, multiple worlds. I'll wait for them to get the basics right and buy an expansion for the rest happily.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 10:54PM (Unverified) said

THQ is coming out with an action RPG called spacemarine, maybe they're going to throw that out there for the "lets see how this works out" type of thing.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 1:15AM Xanderkun said

Morality systems are corrupted from what they used to be, even when BioWare did it and they can do no wrong in my eyes. The flaw of those systems is that they become too black and white, even in the universe of 40k where there isn't a definitive good guy the morality system would be so diluted it's best to leave it out all together.

As for Chaos, the taint that is Chaos and the Warp, it's not something that morality plays a part in. It speaks to the evil in the hearts of those that are substitutable or so from what I've gathered. Chaos is a tangible force that turned the very sons of the God-Emperor against him.

That being said this game is going to freakin' rock.

On a side note: It's not unheard of to be pulled from an Imperial Guard Regiment to become a Space Marine. Would be nice to see the Imperium of Man united in some way.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 3:29AM (Unverified) said

Booooring

A couple of bland 3D models. Could have been pulled straight from DoW even. Who cares. Reveal some real details please!

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 5:13AM Rodj Blake said

Regarding the squad-based suggestions:

Space Marines are tough.

Therefore, how about a game where you're either a single space marine or a squad of Imperial Guards?

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 5:46AM (Unverified) said

There's more to 40k that just the factions that are playable in the tabletop. Space Marines, Eldar, Orks etc are perfectly suited to an RTS style game but I'd suggest the developers look towards Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader for some ideas that might be more suited to an MMO. Let us be interesting characters that won't also immediately make the fans blood boil for ruining the IP.

Make the space marines have a presence, but don't make them playable for gods sake. To your average man in the imperium, the space marines are the stuff of legends. You're hardly going to feel like that if they are all over the place turning in quests and bartering at the auction house.

If they do this right it could be utterly incredible, if they don't then it will fail miserably.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 9:37AM (Unverified) said

Interesting idea not having the space marines as a playable race and in a perfect world that would be the best idea, but i think a lot of people especially the younger fans of the ip will see it the same way as they did when swg came out without jedi as a starting class.
In the wh40k lore though its not unheard of that an IG can go his whole military career without seeing one on the battlefield.

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 6:15AM nearly nil said

40k without playable Space Marines is a non-starter. What would be the point?

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 8:03AM (Unverified) said

Hardly. The 40k universe is far deeper than just Space Marines.

I'd be more interested in a setting in the inquisition or something like that. Your character could still be awesome but at least we wouldn't have the situation where Space Marine players are either grossly unbalanced for realism or nerfed to hell for fair gameplay while turning their backs on the lore. Space Marines are supposed to be god like super humans. If they are playable and another "class/race/whatever" can beat one in one on one combat then there's something wrong.

That being said, it most likely will be playable space marines and I will still play it and love it. Because I'm a sucker for anything 40k related...

You're probably right though, without playable space marines, most people just wouldn't be interested. Which is a shame.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 9:50AM Psychotic Storm said

meh 40k MMO, yes the time came were the marine the inquisitor and the farseer and of course the banshee exarch camped the abandon's battlebarge because he drops some awesome epics.....

no it just cannot work 40k's background was always post apocalyptic dystopia were everybody hates everybody and all stand for themselves.

but more importantly (for those who did not follow it) your fan forum for insert any GW IP gets a C&D letter from Games Workshop because "we must defend our IP".

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 5:24PM Kalu said

SHOULD HAVE BEEN MMOFPS!

HANDS DOWN!

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 3:34PM pcgneurotic said

Dżizas Krajst, here we go.... Another two years+ listening to the ravening, slobbering hordes thumping their barrels and screaming vitriolic declamations about f***ing WH 40k. The worst part is going to be the non-stop tidal wave of cross-eyed, spitty-lipped resentment aimed at Mythic's fantasy WH and all the 'i hope dey dunt mess it all ups like Mifik did wiv vat pees of garbadge' drivel.
Oy vey, gimme a break already.

/double facepalm

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 7:09PM AnthonyHJ said

Marines have their assault marines, librarians and apothecaries, so they could have the tank / healer / mage group mechanics.

Only... the healer here is no wussy cloth-wearer; he is fully-armoured and carries a chainsaw for cutting open his fallen brothers to reclaim their internal organs for the chapter. And the 'mage' is running around with a sword or axe in his hand making people's heads explode.

Come on, even if they make players start out as scouts, you know you are going to be kicking arse and chewing gum more than fetching 20 wolf-skins for the commander. (unless you are playing a Space Wolf, in which case, you are probably doing it in three feet of snow with no more equipment than a loin-cloth and a knife)

I do agree with the earlier remark that you should probably be playing a squad-leader, be that a 'special' like a chaplain or a sergeant. Still, I will just have to wait and see, I suppose.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 7:35PM (Unverified) said

Going off what Prince of Cats said, you could do classed squad leaders, for example in a Imperial Guard squad you could be a Psyker or Commissar etc leading a squad of men. For the learning curve part you could be a cadet learning your chosen path.

When you join parties someone can be the Force Commander directing the squads.

Posted: Dec 4th 2009 9:17PM Denzo76 said

This gets me excited. If the devs were smart about it, they could make it an EVE clone. Every race has their own planet that they would collectively have to work together to get off of to invade other planets/races. ie manufacturing/resource gathering PCs could be elements of military infrastructure...infantry, armored div., artillery etc. Vehicles could have power usage limits as to make it less item dependent. Give exp. bonus/some bonus for balanced warfare tactics to give incentive to do things right.

I don't know. Just some random thoughts. IMHO, I think the only think that will ever be a WoW-buster will be a StarCraft MMO. Bliz has learned an awful lot and has the loot to throw down to blow ppls socks off with a follow up to WoW. But WH40k...that gets me excited...

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 7:11PM Crode said

Well I always thought that Battle Fleet Gothic would be best suited as a MMO-RTS alternative to Eve Online. (BFG is one of the spinoff tabletop games that involves the space combat, ships. planets, planetary assaults.)

But back on topic, I think a 40K MMO has quite a big chance of being a big fail. If there is leveling, crafting, quests, solo gameplay close to anything that smells like WoW it will fail. It has to revolve around elements of RTS territory control and PvP squads based. Though not necessarily a first or 3rd person shooter.

Posted: Dec 5th 2009 7:21PM Crode said

Oh and what is with having to redo ALL the artwork? It is already been done. These guys should just make an agreement with Relic to their 40K assets since they are both owned by THQ...

Posted: Dec 6th 2009 6:15AM nearly nil said

My hope is that Games Workshop keeps the veto power on this. If this goes Wow-clone they risk damaging the IP in a serious way. Warhammer Online did no favors to the tabletop game, which is, afterall, GW's bread and butter.
Games Workshop, if you are listening, protect Warhammer 40k! Dawn of War has got it mostly right. The essence of 40k is squad-based strategy. The world does not need a WoW-based MMO dressed up like a space marine...

Posted: Dec 7th 2009 1:07AM (Unverified) said

Post EQ all MMOs followed their mold including the setting. Good to see SWTOR finally stray off path and try something different. Hopefully this MMO does the same.

Posted: Dec 7th 2009 1:48AM (Unverified) said

As long as I can play a Sister of Battle, I'm sweet.

One Shots: Hello, autumn