Posted: Nov 30th 2009 8:23AM (Unverified) said

The various Vrykul and Skaldir groups scattered across Northrend in WOW:WOTLK. They look cool, they say cool things like "I'll enjoy boiling your bones" (or something to that effect), and subjectively speaking, they're just all around awesome. I'll miss them when Cat comes out.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 9:11AM Holgranth said

Agreed the woman are downright scary: "I will take pleasure in gutting you!" "Your entrails will make a fine necklace!" and so on.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 1:43PM Camaris said

Actually, I rather like the Twilight's Hammer as a concept (an multi-ethnic Old God cult that worships elementals), and I think they deserve a bit of expansion (or, as it where, a whole expansion in the form of Cataclysm).

Of course, I play a WoW paladin, so I must say the favorite villain group would be the Scourge, especially if you see a bit of their inner workings (in Icecrown). I especially like the intricate 'ascension' process of the Vrykul, that can turn into val'kyr, ymirjar or varghul depending on how well they fare in combat (or how much the Lich King likes them).

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 8:46AM J Brad Hicks said

It may not actually be possible to make a villain group that I like more than City of Heroes' Freakshow. (My still greatest disappointment with City of Villains is that they shoe-horned us all into Arachnos, a much lamer group.) The Freaks are a deadly serious cyborg mercenary army ... that padded out their numbers with huge numbers of "cyberpunk" wanna-bes recruited on computer bulletin boards and the Internet. Their backstory is that they use an experimental regeneration drug (discarded by the military because of its psychoactive side effects) to chop holes in themselves, or even chop off whole limbs, and stick whatever weapon or tool they can steal into the hole; after the drug "heals" them around it, they can use anything as if it were part of their own body. So any given Freakshow lieutenant looks like a walking junkshop, and their bosses are more robot than human.

Very cool looking. But the motley recruitment backstory also gives Melissa Bianco and other writers at Paragon Studio the creative license to surprise you in any given story, swinging from deadly serious terrorist attacks on the city and its corporations on the one hand, to a singing and dancing mad bomber named Bob Fusey or the leet-speaking Rikti Freaks.

But then, it's not surprising to any long-running CoH veteran like me that you used an illustration from City of Heroes to head this quest: City of Heroes has a LOT of great villain groups.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 12:46PM (Unverified) said

I always thought that the 5th Column from CoH was the best one. I had a cool backstory, graphics, characters, etc. They've brought some of it back in the modern Council, but not to the extent that they were once. Hopefully, they'll rise up again! :)

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 8:51AM Dumac said

Few of them make memorable impressions, they are mostly generic fodder, and games tend not to provide much info beyond basics, more often then not you have to search for info through external sources on the web, and frankly, i don't do that.

Maybe Guild Wars Mursaat, they come across as more unique than most, they are powerful humanoids that float above ground, grow tentacles on their backs, wear gold masks and robes and are mistaken for gods, so they are pretty cool.

Cant think of much else though.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 9:11AM Agar said

Yup Mursaat are my fav too, powerful and mysterious. I hope we learn more about them during GW2.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 9:14AM Daverator said

How are murlocks not listed on here?

I doubt many of those other enemies listed have fan made plushies and tattoos dedicated to them.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 9:24AM (Unverified) said

Virindi from Asheron's Call.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 9:36AM Snorii said

You hit the nail on the head with that picture - the Nemesis (CoH/V) are my favorite villain group, he is always behind something and I love the steampunk technology.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 9:42AM (Unverified) said

The Scourge. I would love to have had the option as a Death Knight to continue to serve the Lich King.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 9:45AM SoulFireLich said

The Skurv in Aion are amazing. Then again pretty much everything about Aion is amazing.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 11:10AM CCon99 said

My favorite Villain group to hate is SOE.

C'mon, someone had to say it! =P

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 2:53PM Heraclea said

My favourite enemy group in City of Heroes is the Cimeroran Traitors. They are ancient Roman warriors, so fighting them fits neatly into many of my main characters' backstories. They introduced both shield defense and the return of the Fifth Column. And the zone has some of the best lines in the game...

"We of the Sybils welcome you to our temple...even under these circumstances."
"Like crystals. Crystals shiny."

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 3:05PM MewmewGrrl said

My favorite Villain group is Microsoft. I hope that they one day grow to take over the world.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 3:27PM (Unverified) said

Guristas in EVE have the best style!

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 8:22PM GaaaaaH said

But Sansha ships look like reavers!

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 5:30PM (Unverified) said

The Orcs from EQ 1. Emperor Crush!

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 5:41PM deadborder said

Two favourtes here:

The Vrykul from Northrend in WoW:WotLK; a race of giant death metal vikings. Harsh, brutal and relentless, they have a great philosophy: They fight to get stronger, and get stronger so tehy can fight. They present a powerful and fearsome enemy, and have a terrific look, design and asthetic to them.

The other ones I've allways liked are the Scarlet Crusade (and later Scarlet Onslaught) from all the way back in Vanilla WoW onwards. A group of religious fanatics who belive in "burn first, ask questions later", they have a genuinely good cause that has been twisted beyond all recognition. And flashy red uniforms.

Massively's MMO guide to the 2014 winter holidays