Posted: Nov 30th 2009 10:50PM (Unverified) said

I guess I forgot to mention. It's true that a lot of the clothing is revealing and pretty much all of the characters are idealized. There's no doubt they want their characters to look attractive and appealing and to say otherwise would be an obvious lie. The clothing can be pretty outrageous, although I've come to expect that from a lot of Korean mmos these days. I suppose I get enough Gap, JCrew, etc. in real life so I don't mind it too much. D:

People being upset with that does bring up a question though. I mean this as an honest question and not a way of proving a point. What would you all prefer instead? Perhaps a game with no good looking characters? Or maybe a game with a full range of looks? If you chose the latter, what kind of character would you make? An idealized one? Or just an average looking one?

I myself don't mind a game with a full range of looks, although I'll always lean towards a character that I find appealing. I think of my characters as extensions of myself and therefore try to make them in a way I'd like to be portrayed I suppose. As I said though, the questions aren't meant to prove anything and are just meant to gather info.

One last question, actually. If you did have to choose one of the races, which would you pick?

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 10:31PM fayther said

remember this is anime-style
anime style means....

big eyes
giant boobs
extremely slim body
young-ish face, or adult type cool face
or chibi-style, that looks like elementary school kids

you can't complain about (again) anime, because that's the style, no matter where you go. no matter where you do. it's a-ni-me

who cares if the game has oversexualized girls? who cares if the body overtone for guys looks damn huge? the gameplay is great, the graphic is great. that's all i care about.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 10:59PM (Unverified) said

Some people seem to think that such depictions bleed over into the real world and begin to influence our perceptions of what women and men should look like, or what we should strive for. This isn't really a new issue though, and has been a concern of many people for years. From fashion magazines to movies to games, the world is full of idealized depictions.

Personally though I agree with you. While the concerns are understandable to an extent, I think they're overblown. While you can complain about the depictions of people in the game, you can't neglect the fact that they wouldn't choose to make characters like this if there wasn't an audience for it. As is true with everything, there are multiple tastes and preferences, and just because they don't align with your own doesn't mean it's wrong.

As I said in my post earlier, I think the whole issue just needs to be laid to rest. If you find the material offensive don't play it. While a common response to criticism, it's very true. You can't change everything to meet your standards and trying to do so is just selfish, to be honest.

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 12:33AM Its Utakata stupid said

Not all anime is like that...in fact much of the stuff I read (manga) and watch isn't like that. Fan service ecchi stuff is a big turn off for me...and tends to get in the way of the plot. But I'm digressing...

I do believe Fayth and Focant raise an interesting point. Perhaps not the intention of the devs to make the game that sex'd up...it just happens to turn out that way with the models/races and styles they are using. As Focant in another other post previous suggests differing breast/chest sizes where used. This also suggest to me extreme character customization...even to the point you can make girls look like boys and boys look like girls (much to JP's horror). So we may not have to worry so much about the boob sizes, unless we're playing with some perv with the sliders maxed out....and that's unavoidable.

So I'm going to keep an open mind about this...and see what further info will be released on this game that sheds light into it's world before passing further judgement. Plus I to beginning to wonder if this is becoming a dead horse that's been overly beaten.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 11:20PM Valdur said

"Some people seem to think that such depictions bleed over into the real world and begin to influence our perceptions of what women and men should look like, or what we should strive for"

I think fashion designing is doing the job,they are the one who/which decide what's the perfect proportion/size a woman should be or man should look like and they are doing a lot more damage than an anime stylish game.

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 12:40AM cray said

After seeing this trailer I'm less bother by the skimpy outfits and over-sexualized characters. I think it's because the more I see of the game the more I notice that just about ALL of the characters are exposed in some way. So it's not just the female avatars.

As for the male characters who look like girls...glad to see it. A little diversity wouldn't hurt.

My main Guild Wars avatar is a male necromancer with a very feminine face and hairstyle. I deliberately wanted a character to look unisex. I hope to create a similar character in Guild Wars 2.

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 1:56AM Vlo said

I'm not really bothered by the art style of the game, seen this type of art a lot so I'm use to it and I think it's cool. I'm more concern about how the developers seem to care more about high quality graphics as their top priority rather than good quality gameplay and content. Sure graphics are great, but if gameplay and content is weak I don't think it's worth playing.

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 3:18AM (Unverified) said

hmm there must be something wrong with me :(

all that talk about breasts in these comments and yet what really cought my eye was how cool the destroyer with the axe looked and how much i like the "inky" rendering style.
As with the mob that looked liked a drunken kung-fu master i feel the visuals pretty unique and fresh and i hope they wont do standard fantasy but lay heavy on a martial arts aspect. i also hope that they wont need a full year to "westernise" it but just keep it as it is with subtitels and of course translated ui.
I'm one of not so few people that replaced the westernized voiceset in Aion with the original voices because I want to get as much of the original "flair" as I can.

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 9:18AM Valdur said

The Destroyer is Badass indeed and makes the Destro classes in Warhammer Online look like sissies ;)

But my interest was caught by the Gunslinger he was fighting.

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 9:51AM (Unverified) said

I think too much is being made out of it, the game looks like an extremely good game, and i hope it makes its way to the US. the females , yeah some are big breasted, but oh well. People seem to be too sensitive in my opinion, its not like the game promotes dealing drugs or rape. Aion has chicks with boobs, so does wow. hell there is a nudie mod for wow.

If there is one issue it the way some of the toons are dressed as opposed to their dimensions.

All that being said I would buy this game. No, I would pre order this game. No, i would pre order this game and participate in the beta!

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 4:40PM Scone said

Wow.

I am not really caring on "OMG, their breasts are too big!!!1!one" chatter because people complain to damn much. Seraphina Brennan got the gist of it, we want to beat people up nao. After playing WoW, Aion, Guild Wars and other less satisfying MMO's this looks like the gameplay is far more interesting than anything else and:
THE GRAPHICS ARE AMAZING
IF NOTHING GET IT TO MAKE YOUR EYES SING IN CHOIR
That aside, hoping they continue with this and hopefully have keys so I can hop in.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 6:16AM claytondora said

Love the boobies, love the combat, but above all, LOVE the platforming elements. I don't know if anyone else noticed but there was definitely a hot chick jumping around to dodge fire in one of those scenes. great stuff. A++

Posted: Dec 25th 2009 10:20PM mightfo said

I guess women in Texas just have bigger breasts or something. I mean, sure, complain about the clothing. The designers are obviously pretty good at designing aesthetically appealing, original clothing, but some of the characters are really scantily clad. But the breasts? Have you seriously never seen normal sized women with real E+cup breasts before? I mean, they're less than 1/10 of women, but still.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 11:35PM (Unverified) said

At some point the group who makes this game decided to go for an over-sexualisation.

IF ANYTHING, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it completely on purpose.

See Bayonetta, the women is out of proportion on purpose.

And this game is the same, people purposely made BOTH the men and women into iconic figures. If anything I prefer this OBVIOUS over-sexualisation over all the ones that try not to be iconic (and do it just for the male audience).

No way am I going to be attracted to these women more then real-life ones, and I really do not think that was the developer's purpose. They went with a design, just look at other Korean art of women... Magnacarta, those women are totally out of proportion too. Korean women def don't look like that, lets face it, they are one of the last groups of women (in the world) that will start having nice thick thighs and large (natural, anyway) breasts (not that I dislike Korean women, but lets face it, they are not known for these aspects). And that isn't even getting started on Korean men!

TLDR;
Women AND Men are intentionally designed in this game to highlight and exaggerate the features which are most wanted in both sexes. Men; height, strength, bruteness. Women; thick strong thighs, large breasts.
Both in games and in real life would I prefer a normal looking female or male, but I am not going to shun one or a few games just because they choose to design their characters in a certain unrealistic manner.

Either way, downloading now. Don't know if I honestly trust NCSoft, but I'll keep looking into the game.

Posted: Dec 29th 2009 11:27PM (Unverified) said

hey...question? when it will come out? what date?

well anyway.. this game is horrifying and it is scary...wonder how games turns out every year...over and over it become more realistic... I wouldn't surprise if the games turn into REAL WORLD after a 100 yrs.. who knows maybe HACK & MATRIX can happen.....imagine a game where you can go inside of it...if that happens, I won't log-out..why? because their are no death in games you can respawn whenever you wanted(^_^)peace ya all!!

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM