Massively's "Enemy at the Gate" contest for EVE Online was quite popular last week, and there were some very good entries. It was a contest where there could only be two winners (to be announced shortly), but as promised Massively is running a second contest this week. The contest is simply titled "New Eden," named after the social network for EVE Online that will extend the game experience beyond the game client. Ultimately the New Eden social network will bring aspects of EVE to mobile phones and the web, the hope being that it creates a number of new ways to access and experience the game.
Just like last week, this will essentially be a writing contest, where we pose a question to you about EVE's Dominion expansion (and beyond). Your entry (limited to 200 words or less, details below) will be judged by the Massively staff on the merits of creativity and presentation. You'll have one full week to enter, by answering our question in the comments below this post. Two prizes will be awarded. The grand prize will be 15 Pilot License Extensions (PLEX), which is 15 months of EVE game time. First prize will be 10 PLEX, so 10 months of EVE game time. Got all that? Great. So here we go -- to enter Massively's PLEX contest, answer this question in the comments below, limiting your response to 200 words or less:
How will the "New Eden" social network for EVE affect your playstyle? Will the ability to handle tasks when you're unable to log in change the game experience for you?
Remember, this isn't a race to see how fast you can come up with a good entry; you'll have 7 days to enter and keep in mind we're only going to select the two most creative/best-presented entries as first and second prize winners. The contest period is 9:00 am ET November 30, 2009 to 9:00 am ET December 7, 2009, and the winners will be announced in this post after the end of the contest period. Be sure to read through the official rules for this contest, but here are some of the key points:
- Only U.S. and Canadian (excluding Quebec) residents may enter, and you must be 18 years of age or older.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- Your entry cannot exceed 200 words.
- The contest will be judged by the Massively staff. Criteria is half creativity and half presentation.
- The contest is not open to current or former employees of Massively or AOL/Weblogs, Inc.
- Massively will announce the winners in this post at the end of the contest period.
- Massively will then contact the winners via the email address used to submit the entry. If you've won, we will need to get your EVE Online account name/character name and give this information to CCP Games, who will deliver the PLEX prizes to your EVE character. We will never ask you for your password.
Update: Congratulations to the two winners of our "New Eden" contest!
"Jaggins" took first place for his look at how corp chat will extend beyond the client, winning 15 PLEX. "Topquark" took second place -- and 10 PLEX -- for his Shakespearean approach to social networking in New Eden.
As with our previous contest there were some great entries and it was tough to narrow them all down to only two. Congratulations guys, and thanks to everyone for your contest entries. We'd especially like to thank CCP Games for being so generous with the PLEX prizes as well. Hopefully we'll be able to run another contest of this nature in the future!