Posted: Nov 30th 2009 11:26AM Thac0 said

Ugh.. please. Thanks to thier "security" they wont give me my master account information. I wanted to go back and play a little GW but i havent in years. If you ask for help they stick you in a never ending loop of emails back and forth asking for all sorts of information. It ended up that i couldn't get my password because i didn't have the old Linage II key i had used nor the same credit card i used in 2004. So since i couldn't produce this stuff after weeks of emails i gave up.

So... yup your account is safe. So safe in fact you wont even be able to get into it if you forget your old password. I guess they really didn't want me to buy GWEN anyway...

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 11:43AM Teppotastic said

I shall raise my hand up and say I was one of those hacked - they cleaned out all my money and gear - leaving most of my chars naked or at least topless. After about 5 years on-and-off play, that's a fair whack.

Anyone know if ANet are planning on helping anyone get their stuff back? :(

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 11:56AM (Unverified) said

My account was hacked about a week ago. They took all my gold and ectos and such, but left all my weapons. I don't play the game anymore so I don't care too much about it. At first I thought I had a keylogger so I formated my harddrives but it seems now that wasn't the case. This better not happen in GW2 Anet.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 12:23PM Sente said

But the problem here is not that ArenaNet has flaws in their security, but that people have been using the same username and password information as they have for GW for a community site - potentially also the same name and password both for the PlayNC account as well as the game account.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 12:55PM (Unverified) said

Well.. it was my NC-Soft account that was hacked so they could change my Guild Wars password. My NC-Soft account and Guild Wars passwords were completely different. I have never had any account on any Guild Wars fansite. I have an account on Guild Wars 2 Guru, but my account information there are completely different from my NC-Soft and Guild Wars acounts. So from my perspective they couldn't have gotten my NC-Soft account info from any community site.

Anet calls it 'trading site' and I wonder what exatly do they mean by that?

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 5:27AM (Unverified) said

"So from my perspective they couldn't have gotten my NC-Soft account info from any community site."

A very common story, and one apparently not recognized at all by ArenaNet in this matter. They only seem to be pursuing avenues which point the blame away from themselves or NCSoft.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 12:43PM (Unverified) said

happned to me. got everything taken was a real bitch to get it back

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 12:32PM Minofan said

Too horrifying to contemplate!
/needsaliedownjustthinkingaboutit

I am glad I have never waivered in my commitment to using MMO mods, nor reusing any of my treasured GW account details anywhere on the web - the only thing worse than losing my account would be believing I'd done anything to expose it.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 12:42PM (Unverified) said

"Support Liaison Gaile Gray revealed that "one of the trading sites associated with Guild Wars may have experienced a security breach and its account database (including user names and passwords) may be in the hands of hackers.""

I find it utterly unprofessional to imply blame before the facts are known.

There are many fansites and auction sites whos reputation has been damaged by vague statements such as these - of which Gaile Gray is guilty of making many. The player-base is left with nothing but speculation, and when it concerns account security that is a big deal. If ArenaNet aren't willing to say precisely which site it is, then they should say nothing.

Sadly and unsurprisingly it seems to be the usual case of them laying the blame elsewhere as swiftly as possible. A running potshot to distract from their own flaws, which they so obviously fail to recognize. The slew of people 'accidentally banned' after using the in-game store? Not a peep in the way of an apology. The fact that you still can't change your master account username? Zip.

I'd like to believe they were sincere about tracking down security issues, but how serious can they be with someone like Gaile Gray at the helm. With absolutely no offense intended, she is not a tech person - she is a people person. She can't talk about security with any authority, yet is the public face of the "investigation". For example: With one hand she has presented google results as valid evidence, and with the other dismissed it when used to aim back at NCSoft. More often than not she implies blame where absolutely none is merited, out of ignorance of the factors involved.

Long story short: I really hope there is some change made at ArenaNet here. At least get a security savvy IT guy to sit down with her once a week.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 7:58PM (Unverified) said

Wow, Gaile Gray is still there as community liaison? She was there during the early beta days of GW, that's a pretty impressive long run on a taxing job.

And why are you crapping on her? She's the company spokesman, you know how companies hire PR people to talk to the press? I bet you're the type who screams at the person who answer your call at the power company when your power goes down. Yah, because it's really that persons fault that your power went out...

They've pinned it down to the "site" because a majority of the people who's accounts were compromised used that site (as my friend did). Kind of like if 1000 people suddenly came down with food poisoning and 700 of them ate at the same restaurant, it's a fair assumption the food poisoning occurred at said restaurant.......

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 1:04PM ElfLove said

Woah! I haven't played GW in years....I can't for the life of me remember my account name or any of my passwords.

Was ANet breached in any way or was this really a fansite?

I don't think I ever gave them my ccard info...but still I'm a little worried. o_O

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 2:01PM Marked said

Judging from the message, I would guess a fan site that is not associated/owned by NCSoft had it's member database compromised. And said site was also stupid enough to be storing the passwords in plain text and not hash.

From that, the people who used the same login info on the fan site and on their Guildwars account had their Guildwars and/or NCSoft accounts compromised.

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 5:19AM (Unverified) said

Yaja, there are no full-proof security measures for a database. Everything can be hacked, and the tools are easily available online. All you can do is cover the bases as best as possible.

There are fansites who take what I would consider a professional level of care with security, and fansites who don't. If you stick with the larger fansites that are part of a network (such as Curse or MMOGuru) you can usually have some faith in their measures.

Even so, don't use that password for anything else, just in case. :)

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 4:52PM Askgar said

I've been hit twice in 2 weeks, first time it was "mild" losing just my cash and a mini pet (which meant a lot to me but didn't set my characters back). I get the feeling the second time, where they've hacked my Nc soft account not just my gw account, will be a LOT worse.

Posted: Nov 30th 2009 8:20PM GaaaaaH said

Why would another site have account names and passwords?

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 5:23AM (Unverified) said

If they used the same email and password for their fansite account as they do for their game account.

Sadly more common than you might think.

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 10:32AM Misterlee said

This is a very good reason you don't have one of the major parts of your MMO (i.e. the player economy) forced onto external, 3rd party run websites.

An in-game auction house or some way to buy and sell other than standing in the towns spamming your wares in chat would have totally avoided this and made the game a lot more user friendly to players.

I've always been a big and very vocal fan of Guild Wars but really, the length of time this game has been around it's shameful they haven't sorted out an auction house in-game by now.

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 10:34AM Misterlee said

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 12:09PM Shadbox said

I can't access my account. I'm emailing ncsoft, and responding 200 questions to them to reset my password, and get access again. I don't know the situation of my storage yet :(

Posted: Dec 3rd 2009 4:57PM (Unverified) said

Glad I found this post. my family had 5 accounts hacked and working with NCSoft is hard to say the least. We have to go to storage and dig through boxes to find the CD's to get the keys, looking my my address from many years ago guessing when we purchased different copies for which child, etc.

I could not figured out how someone got all our accounts and ran virus/spyware scans again, talked to the kids about anything they downloaded and was confused to say the least.

At least now I know what happened, THANKS!!

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014