Posted: Dec 18th 2009 1:47AM Seraphina Brennan said

You two had fun, didn't you? ^_^

Glad you've both sorted things out. :D The wave of e-mails in my inbox was surprising. :D

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 1:11AM Godheval said

I love that term: "straw men". It's always what people use as justification for ignoring another person's argument. And most people don't even know what the term means. For my argument to be a straw man, I'd have to misrepresent your argument as a means of tearing it down. Since I'm the one MAKING the argument, that term doesn't apply. Funny.

But whatever, chief. You've got it all figured out - all issues of men's and women's sexuality are your exclusive domain. You win.

Congrats. Heh.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 1:18AM (Unverified) said

So you complain that I'm ignoring your arguments, and then you go and do the same to me? Okay.

The point is that you advanced those arguments as if they were contrary to my opinion, when they were not. You intentionally or unintentionally misinterpreted my position into something you could fashion arguments against. That's a strawman.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 1:19AM Godheval said

Well now, why didn't you just say that in the first place, rather than going on the attack? I can totally understand that. As I said earlier, if your argument is for diversity - meaning more overweight women, more women of color, more gender-bending women, more "plain janes" - a representation of the many, many, many different female archetypes we see in our real world - then you will not get any resistance from me. I don't think Seraphina would argue against you, either.

This article is in defense of those women who are in games, how they're portrayed versus how they're perceived - particularly those who DO have robust characterization along with their hyper-sexuality. And truly? Janna Proudmore - who gets mentioned in this article - is hardly sexualized. She's about as plain as they get.

But anyway, yeah, if you want to see something different, I'm totally with you on that. I make the same argument about cultural representations in games - how I'm tired of the blonde haired blue eyed (or just generally "white") protagonists...

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 1:23AM (Unverified) said

Sorry if I came off a little harsh... There's a lot of dumb comments to this article. It wears my patience a little thin.

Thanks for the book rec anyway, it looks interesting. I think your site's down though.

Posted: Dec 18th 2009 1:22AM Godheval said

If it happened that I advanced an argument against a point that you were NOT making, then you simply were not clear. Your last post - the one about your want for diversity - summed it up much better. Now we're on the same page.

But...again...this argument about diversity isn't really counter to anything I said, or to anything Seraphina said. And you certainly worded your first response as an attack on both what she was saying and what I was saying. So it was you, in fact, who presented your point of view as being in opposition to mine.

Blah blah blah. So now do we have an understanding?

Posted: Dec 21st 2009 2:27PM Godheval said

Huh. Now that's interesting. I'd like to know where that poster got his information - if it's one particular book, I'd sure like to know the title. That's me being sincere, not facetious.

But as to what she/he said, it seems accurate enough, although I tend to think that it's not all so simple as that. Still, the idea of sexuality as power I certainly agree with - although I'd like to see that power exercised more subtly sometimes, too - like the female assassin using her charm, rather than poking her opponent's eyes out with her 42Gs. =)

Still, 42Gs or not, what's most important is depth of characterization.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM