Posted: Nov 28th 2009 1:35PM (Unverified) said

"The rugged, stoic man is probably higher on a general sexual desirability scale than a pretty boy who spends time admiring himself at the gym." This.

I don't know about the rest of the ladies but I do know that I find these pumped up dudes who have the bodies of steroid takers and the faces of 15 year-old-girls really just the epitome of "ick". I know that some girls like the whole "bishi" thing but from my personal experience those are the girls who are either bi or aren't sexually active at all (or old enough to be).

Woman are attracted to power and soul and responsibility, as well as- yeah- eventually good looks. It's plain psychology. Also, it is unfair to put woman's standards of attraction on the same grounds as men's. Ultimately designs become appealing to gay men because all men have similar psychological standards of attraction, which includes fertility and looks. The real thing that appeals to real woman is lost in a field that employees nearly all men (which I know is not by choice). It really is a vicious cycle because as many woman see these misinterpretations they are turned off and never enter the gaming world and so are never there to make corrections. I hope I'll be able to set somethings straight once I hit the job market.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 6:08PM (Unverified) said

I like boobies.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 8:58PM Seraphina Brennan said

WOOT! Thanks for being the voice of reason, Scythe. :D

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 6:08PM Yoh said

First, I never just ragged on the female avatar for being ovewrsexed, but the male as well. (as oversexed as a male could be)

My impression of Blade & Soul's art is off putting, as I don't want to have a character look like either the brick shithouse, or the tits on a stick.
I find it kinda distasteful, and there focus on this point makes me question the quality of their product.

As such, unless gameplay can be proven to make up for my distaste for their art style, so as to overlook it, then I won't be touching the game.

The thing that gets me isn't so much how oversexed the genders are, is the stereo type that thinks that I as a male must like this sort of thing.
That pisses me off.

Why should I find something so unrealistic attractive?
Hell, this is coming from a guy who gets off on anime, and I find this unpleasant.

I just despise the notion that I as a male should find tit's on a stick attractive.
If I were female, I would find thou's males equally unattractive.

But as a guy, all I can say is I don't want to look like I've been taking steroids all my life. I guess I just don't like massively unrealistic depictions of either males or females, just in order for sex sells.

It's cheap.

~Yoh

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 8:55PM Seraphina Brennan said

Hey, this whole thing certainly wasn't targeted at just you. I found last week's discussion extremely interesting, and if it wasn't for your opinion as well as others opinions, I wouldn't have even thought about any of this. So thank you for bringing your opinion up and leading me down this road of thought. It's just really, really fascinating.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 10:48PM Yoh said

I didn't mean to make it all about me, I was just trying to clarify my position before I got started, that was all.

As long as if were having a healthy conversation, I'm happy to help.

~Yoh

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 6:31PM (Unverified) said

Big muscles on a man is not as sexist as big boobs on a women. You almost seem to realize this in the rant. Point is, the "sexy" of muscles is a secondary effect - the muscles have a point. If you have a lot of them, you're strong, you're powerful. It may be over the top, but then games are about being heroic. Sure, I'd love to see the same emphasis on smarts, etc. But, none the less, physical strength serves a purpose.

Bib boobs serve no other purpose than attracting males (or I suppose some females). They have no other purpose. Unless its a game about who can breast feed the most babies. There's just no way big muscles are as degrading as big breasts. And, let's wonder, how big are the heels on that women's shoes. Spiked heels, always practical in battle, yes? And where are the muscles on the female characters? They don't have to be super butch, but rarely in a game are they given even decent dancer/runner level muscle definition.

The objectification of women in games is far, far greater than the effect of putting some muscles on a male character. Besides, for all the scrawny guys out there, doing some push up and going out for a run isn't exactly bad for your health. Not sure if there are any health benefits from big breasts - other than the claim of greater self-confidence.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 6:44PM (Unverified) said

I am not a big fan of huge boobs in gaming, either. In fact, I am totally put off by female characters with big ones. I mean, seriously, those things would be downright unwieldy in combat, especially all unrestrained and flying free, as they usually are in the box art. Without a proper sports bra, which would no doubt ruin the 'artistic integrity' of the visuals, a giant mammary with sufficient momentum could knock its owner unconscious. Or in some extreme cases, rampant secondary sexual characteristics could injure bystanders.

No, I think it is time to return to a realistic and sensible world of game marketing, where mostly bare-chested female warriors sport a more palatable C- or even a nice firm B-cup, as long as some sort of virtual underwire action still provides decent cleavage. Also, I would trade a cup size every time for a trickle of sweat drops running through Fun Valley, but that's just a bonus.

Men who desire large breasts are usually trying to work out early development feeding issues. As for me, I will play a game that is marketed by almost any kind of breast. But I leave you with this question: if Wonder Woman didn't fill out that solid-gold bustier so marvelously, would she command as much respect? Would she even be Wonder Woman at all, or merely Really Great Girl, or Okay Lady? Think about it...

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 8:57PM Seraphina Brennan said

Eh, we all have our tastes, which I think this really goes to highlight. No one in any of this is "in the wrong." Everyone has their own tastes in what they like in their games, and sometimes they just don't match up.

You like sweat and decent sizes, I like hips and curves, and still others like the massive chest sizes. Nothing really wrong with any of this.

Damn it, I should have made that point clearer in my column above... that none of this is really "wrong" it's simply many people with differing opinions.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 6:49PM Zeliath said

You're talking about more than changing games, you'd have to change an entire market and what a lot of people find attractive.

Developers are only catering to who they know will buy their game most often and the reality of the matter is if you were a developer you would lose sales if you didn't focus on your biggest target market.

Roles reversed, we would have the same issue with male characters with male leads in games looking like they belong in Twilight.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 6:52PM Marz said

"Big boobs serve no other purpose than attracting males ."

Really? If they aren't big, how are you going to hide the machine guns inside them?

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 8:12PM Dread said

Blokes put off by big boobs in games are writing that with their missus standing over their shoulders with something metallic and heavy in their hands tapping it up and down in their hands saying 'Ah-huh' under their breath.

Straight men like boobs. Get over it. The massively overwhelming majority of games are made by, made for and played by straight men, blokes, guys, fella's, *insert regional variation here*. MMO's are nearly all based on a Sci-Fi fantasy mold, again the domain of the horny teenager/still horny older straight male.

Please whine over there that you are gay, bi, transgender, or whatever else is your particular perversion, lifestyle or viewpoint. You are the minority. Not by a little, but by an overwhelming majority. Bitching and whinging about big breasts in mainstream games is akin to me rocking up to a Pride festival and bemoaning the fact that they've stolen the rainbow, forever ruined for me the ability to sing along to the Village People and that they aren't catering to my needs by showing enough huge breasts and thrusting them in my face. Play games that suit your needs and or tastes. Its like TV, if you don't like or are offended by something then turn the bloody thing off!

LEAVE OUR BREASTS ALONE!

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 8:21PM breezer said

So just to clarify:

You're a bigoted chauvanist and that's ok because it makes you happy. Minorities have no rights because they're minorities especially when they're sexual perverts getting in the way of your wanking over pixels.
Got it.

You sir, are a douche bag :D

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 8:52PM cray said

Thank you for sharing your phobia. You've just taken a step in a much larger world. Don't fret little Padawan, you're not going to lose your masculinity if breast go away from your beloved video games.

Posted: Nov 28th 2009 1:44PM (Unverified) said

Actually they're my breasts and I'd be happy if you left them alone.

Posted: Nov 28th 2009 2:08PM (Unverified) said

I honestly have to agree here. Like it or not, straight men like viewing the female figure and typically video games are marketed to that demographic. Hence why the fantasy art associated with these games are more appealing to straight men than they are to anyone else.

To call this poster chauvinistic is just simply perpetuating the double standard of:
Man finds woman attractive and makes comment=bad BUT woman finds male attractive and makes comment=good. He's just speaking the truth and viewing it from a straight man's perspective and I feel that the people who responded to his post negatively are overly sensitive and are reading into the comment for something to get offended by. Insulting someone for "wanking over pixels" when that was essentially the basis of the topic in the first place makes you a hypocrite. Period.

It's artistic fantasy, folks. If you don't like the visuals of one piece (a game, in this example), you can always move on to something more appealing. To get outraged over something like this means that you either:
A) Want whoever designed this to cater to your personal preferences.
OR
B) Are looking for something to get offended about.

Bottom line? I am a straight male and I like looking at attractive women. I don't find other men attractive. If I want to look at an attractive woman I'm not going to open up, say, a Playgirl magazine as that's not where I will find them. We all have outlets to find visual stimuli and know what we find pleasant to look at. If you don't find women attractive, that's fine, but don't be the guy reading the Maxim and getting outraged over it.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 8:23PM claytondora said

Many people seem to confuse open displays of sexuality as with the degradation of women. Its an outdated and puritanical view on the way we treat our bodies. There's nothing wrong with a little skin, and it doesn't matter who its from.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 8:44PM cray said

Honestly I don't mind sexually objectified avatars. I completely understand it's a visual medium that is ripe for exploitation. Majority of gamers are young adults, so sex and everything that goes with it is going to be there, whether it is on the back or front of their minds.

The problem I have is the impracticably of oversexed avatars during gameplay, specifically combat. I don't care for a half-naked women welding over-sized weapons with partial or no armor, It's just not plausible. The same goes for male avatars. I thought Blade and Soul avatars were very sexy. But I would prefer to leave the lingerie for the bedroom.

I'm not complaining about realism, just plausibility.

I think the solution here is that avatars need to have a time and place where they can showcase their over-sexed features, and leave it there. Perhaps a place where avatars can mingle and show off.

Keep the look of the avatars practical for combat and other areas that need some semblance of plausibility.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 8:48PM Seraphina Brennan said

That's interesting, as you separate realism from plausibility. I've always put the two hand in hand, but that's just me.

I'm more of a fantasy person, and I realize that most of the naked fighting would never work out in real life, yet I don't mind it in a stylized manner. I mean, there is that old joke, "How do you increase a woman's armor class? Simple, put her in a bikini." :)

But that's just my opinion though. :) Me being insane as usual.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 9:12PM cray said

Sera,

I love fantasy too, I have no problems with 'suspension of belief'. however there are times when I question the practicability or plausibility of some things. A good example would be the old argument that men are stronger than women. In fantasy it shouldn't matter, however common sense tells us a 7 foot female has greater chance of beating a 5 foot puny male. There's a sense of plausibility that she can beat him because the female is larger and looking stronger.

It would seem impractical if the puny male defeated the mighty female by strength and power. For me to see it as believable defeat, he would need to be quicker and more agile, maybe pull off a trick or two.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself clearly.