Posted: Nov 25th 2009 6:09PM ultimateq said

Wow that was a great read. There was some GOOD information there.

I'm curious to know if we can target specific systems, such as engines, weapons, etc, to disable the opponent ship. I guess I shoulda asked!

It was probably covered though, I'm just to lazy to search around.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 5:22AM Mikx said

I did ask, and it was answered! Woohoo!

2nd page, last question. ;)

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 10:21AM ultimateq said

Yeah you did. And I completely missed it. Now I feel dumb :(

Posted: Nov 25th 2009 6:38PM CCon99 said

I really hate the Cryptic Death Penalty they put in their games. So basically they're telling us that if your ship is destroyed, you respawn in the zone, and then go back to attacking the ship that just killed you. Yeah that sounds like a ton of fun, just like CO's 5 person instances, the average player just dives in, kill as many as you can, respawn, dive back in and keep killing and respawning more till they're all gone. Then when you try to organize the group into using more tactics, then they just question you "why bother" since death doesn't matter and you can easily run back to the fight in 10 seconds.

It's really a shame that Cryptic keeps confusing the word fun with just making things far to easy and boring.

Posted: Nov 29th 2009 10:07AM (Unverified) said

I think ur missing the concept of check points it sounds like any video or computer game u play. U have to complete certain things to get a checkpoint if u die u go back to that check point. I doubt that they would allow u to respawn in the middle of the battle more then likely at some point before it, to keep that element of fair and fun game play alive.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 11:18AM (Unverified) said

Depends how far away the "spawn" points are.

In space, I feel they should be a fair amount away from where you died to prevent the instant-respawn issue you point out. Loosing crewmen (Red Shirts) hopefully will also cause a debuff like repair, energy recharge rate, repair, etc so after a few deaths you are pretty weakened. What we know for sure is loosing Red Shirts will effect your ability to repel boarding parties or launch your own.

Posted: Nov 25th 2009 10:44PM davidarmstrong488 said

This is a game I'm really looking forward to.

Now see? I actually dl'd and PLAYED the Alganon open beta, but I'm still more excited over STO. Just goes to show, that hype is worth more than all the technology and quality in the world...

...except Alganon had none of that so lawl

Posted: Nov 25th 2009 6:41PM (Unverified) said

Looting seems odd in a Star Trek game.

Posted: Nov 25th 2009 6:51PM elocke said

So give it a more Star Trek name, like "Salvaging" since they did do that in the show, when they came across ship wreckage.

Posted: Nov 25th 2009 7:43PM Lionhearted said

Interesting stuff, I'm satisfied with the question to my answer on the Klingon cloaking system. I'm still worried it'll be overbalancing, but we'll have to see. My question was truncated, so there was stuff I asked specifically about whether there were Federation pros (or Klingon cons) that would act as balancing tools for the cloaking device, we'll just have to see in the game.

Tangent: love the pic. I'm thinking that's a Nova Class fighting off their Type 7 non-federation type listed on the Ships of the Line. I wish they'd fill out some more of the ships, or even place captions with the screen caps, so we'd know what some of these new pictures were. I'm curious, gosh-darn-it!

Posted: Nov 25th 2009 9:48PM ultimateq said

Not sure which picture your talking about, the 2nd picture (on the 2nd page) definitely looks like an intrepid class. The one on the front page, I'm not sure about. It's hard to tell well all you can see is the bottom.

But if I had to guess, judging by how the nasal's are being pointed down, I'd say the picture on the front page is probably a Yeager class.

Posted: Nov 25th 2009 9:49PM ultimateq said

Nascell*

Posted: Nov 25th 2009 9:55PM Lionhearted said

Sorry, UltimateQ, I had meant the picture on the first page. I googled the Yaeger, I still think it looks closer to the Nova... but who knows. More the reason for STO to update their Ships of the Line page! (LOL)

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 1:19AM ultimateq said

Amen! I like updates!

the only reason I don't think it's the nova class, is because of the Nascell positioning. If you notice on the Nova class, the nascells are usually attached from the bottom and above the ship, but on that ship they are attatched from the top and sort of hanging under the ship. I'm not to sure that it's the Yeager either. It could be some sort of refit.

I dunno, figuring it out is kind of fun though!

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 3:52AM (Unverified) said

I always thought it was spelled "nacelle."

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 10:22AM ultimateq said

I don't even know. I know it's not Nasal, or Nassal. I know what it is, but it's something I've never had to spell. Nacelle appears to be correct.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 11:25AM (Unverified) said

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 5:54AM Snichy said

Good article and made me more excited about the game.

I dont know whether this has been covered elsewhere but Im still waiting for details about the size of the universe! I really want it to be like Eve where you can literally warp anywhere you want and there are thousands of systems to go to, so it feels like space (within reason - I understand the logistical restrictions of coding a whole universe!) and Im hoping we are not just sent to a small number of planets with no option to go anywhere else as that will just feel claustrophobic and not liike space at all :)

Space is big, it should feel that way...!

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 6:01AM Marix said

Actually the ship is neither, it's one of cryptic's created vessel's designed to be a redesign of the intrepid class. there's a page in ship's of the line on the STO site.

Posted: Nov 26th 2009 8:01AM (Unverified) said

I would like to pick up on CCon99's point about the total lack of consequences in the death system. Combat tactics are promoted as a key part of the game yet I have concerns that most people won't bother. Transfer energy systems, consider arc's of fire - why bother? Jump in do as much damage as possible and ram a few ships for good measure, rinse and repeat...
Thoughts?